Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

LoveFilmNoir

Phyllis Dietrichson. Sounds like she might be the wife of the commandant of a

concentration camp or the warden of a women's prison. But she's only a woman

who wants to bump off her dull hubby. Guess she wasn't impressed by the Stanford

connection.

I didn't know anything about Flaxy Martin but the title of the picture. I'd always

thought it was about a slightly crooked (male) gambler or something along those lines.

The Sternwood clan from The Big Sleep. They were stubborn and unbending, though

the daughters lacked some of the sternness of the old gent. Maybe they should have spent

more time in the hothouse. Builds up the intestinal fortitude.

Walter Neff. Great last name. It somehow says ineffective at the finale. He's not nerdy, but

he's sort of a nerf ball. And Nino Zachetti. What a great mob name, though he's less menacing

than the name itself.

Paula Gibson from D.O.A.. What a perfectly sweet name for a perfectly sweet girl. One of

my favorite noir cutie pies. Now that Frank's passed on...

How could I leave Virginny off my list of the ten actresses you'd like to date. Brain lock. She

deserves two places: Technicolor and black and white. Yep, she did shoot Ma Jarrett, so she

wasn't all bad.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> Yep, Flaxy was definitely a "B-girl!"

When I said this, it had nothing to do with "B pictures." The term "B-girl" probably comes from "bar girl." A "B-girl" is a girl who is basically a shill, to get a man to spend money on her, so the establishment where she works makes money. So, I was commenting on Flaxy's character, not the quality of the picture. It's a good, tough little film.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > Yep, Flaxy was definitely a "B-girl!"

>

>

> When I said this, it had nothing to do with "B pictures." The term "B-girl" probably comes from "bar girl." A "B-girl" is a girl who is basically a shill, to get a man to spend money on her, so the establishment where she works makes money. So, I was commenting on Flaxy's character, not the quality of the picture. It's a good, tough little film.

I'm for it! :)

I like that! I also felt it had a "B-movie" feel, and I'm not into classification or all that, just the way it "felt" to me, style, etc. I don't mean that in a disparaging way because I happen to dig B films! And B-girls too, for that matter! Especially those on par with Flaxy! :)

I remember a punk/ "new wave" all girl band in Toronto, in the eighties. They called themselves the "B-girls", and they were kind of fun. They dressed in retro outfits, had pouffy hair dos, etc.

I like "B" anything to do with movies - budget, rating (as in "It's a "B" picture" ), girls, flop houses. The seedier the better. Glossy high budget noir films can be good, but they don't have the same feel to them. Even today, I'm fascinated by crummy old warehouses left from the 1920s or 30s that have somehow escaped the wrecker's ball - I always feel a sense of loss when those old building finally are knocked down, even though it's inevitable and often it was a safety hazard. New buildings just don't feel the same.

But I digress.