Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

Yep, when Kirk starts the teeth grinding and the high pitched voice makes an

appearance, you've got a melodrama with a capital M. For the most part, it's

a pretty good picture, but I've never found it to be one that I might want to see

a few times a year.

I'm sure all those underworld doctors are used to strange requests at all hours

of the day or night. Sort of goes with the territory. Low overhead too.

Ok, although I've seen *The Bad and the Beautiful* two or three times, I did not see it last time it was on (tcm aired it last Friday?) So, I guess there are some scenes I've forgotten. What's all this about a funeral scene, and mourners for hire? I don't remember that.

The best, by far. Exceptionally well written, character driven (by perfectly drawn characters). I love the episodic feel; separate stories, but with a common thread. The first time I saw this classic, it took about ten minutes for me to say, "OK. This one's going to be a winner." It is.

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I'm thinking of becoming an underworld doctor. I haven't been to medical school, but does that really matter?

With the right tools and supplies (all can be purchased online); the right sedatives and anesthesia medicines (all can be purchased online); a surgery textbook from medical school (available online) and a fake name and apartment that can't be traced back to you, I say it's very possible.

I think these days even celebrities get underworld plastic surgery done...and they aren't even criminals! :)

Hey, I just thought of another "sketchy" type of doctor in the old days. Remember the "doctor" Natalie Wood was going to visit in *Love with the Perfect Stranger* ? Of course, for a different kind of "undercover" surgery altogether.

Underworld doctoring has a lot of angles to consider. The clientele. If your normal

patient is dissatisfied, he might go to someone else. If Mad Dog MacNulty is dissatisfied,

he might be a little more vocal in his reactions. So, yes, you'd better know what you're

doing, or you might be picking lead out of your own body. Payment. Better get it upfront

and carry your own gun. because what's to stop the criminal from pulling a gun after the

treatment is over and getting a freebie. But, as already stated, low overhead, and no employees,

no paperwork and cash on the barrel head. 'Tis a dilemma. Most of those doctors that I remember

from crime films got in trouble with the medical establishment, often through drinking, and had

little choice but to resort to going underground.

Didn't kindhearted old Alfie take Vivien Merchant to some kind of dodgy "abortionist?"

"Didn't kindhearted old Alfie take Vivien Merchant to some kind of dodgy "abortionist?" "

Yes indeed. I bet there are dozens of films out there on this subject. A much more recent one that comes to mind is Mike Leigh's *Vera Drake*, 2004. I know it's about a back street abortionist, but I've yet to see it.

I haven't seen that one either. I think Mike Leigh is one of the best of contemporary

directors. He rarely hits a false note. The back alley abortionist became something

of a stock character in many films that dealt with girls in trouble. I can't remember,

but maybe there was one in The L Shaped Room too.

I wish I had seen Love with the Proper Stranger when it was on a few months ago.

That early 1960s period is so interesting, a sort of cultural time warp, partly a holdover

from the 1950s, but just before the later 60s social changes that made everything different,

and the characters unaware of what is about to happen.

True story-----Years ago, I was seeing a girl who ditched me because she wanted to marry a doctor. She met her doctor, and they got engaged. Then the minor fact was revealed that even though he had a practice, he had never seen the inside of a medical school. As far as I know, he may still be behind bars. So the scheme seems to work better in the film arena than in real life..

I don't mind the hours and the clientele of the noir physician. But I couldn't work with an unfiltered cigarette dangling constantly from my lips. Must reconsider.

VERA DRAKE is not a great film, but Mike Leigh rarely makes a bad one. I agree he's one of the better contemporary directors. SECRETS AND LIES is wonderful, as is ALL OR NOTHING. He can also take a lighter tone, as with HIGH HOPES and the precious LIFE IS SWEET.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> True story-----Years ago, I was seeing a girl who ditched me because she wanted to marry a doctor. She met her doctor, and they got engaged. Then the minor fact was revealed that even though he had a practice, he had never seen the inside of a medical school. As far as I know, he may still be behind bars. So the scheme seems to work better in the film arena than in real life..

If this event was turned into a noir (someone would have had to be murdered of course)....why do I picture the woman as Ann Savage?

I think, between the germ- of- a- movie- plot people have come up with on this thread, combined with the ideas on the "20th Century Vole" thread (anybody here ever check it out?) we should unite and form a company that sells movie ideas to studios or producers or whoever buys them. Or maybe just our own production company. We'd make a fortune! " See that big city out there? Some day it's going to be all ours' , baby! "

News Flash! I just found out that *Where the Sidewalk Ends* is playing on TCM nesxt Saturday, August 14, at 11:15 a.m.

Before I allowed myself to get too excited about this, I checked the Canadian schedule. Same thing as the American ! No rights issues! I don't usually watch movies Saturday morning, so I'll have to make sure I set things up to record it.

Otto Preminger ! Dana Andrews ! Gene Tierney! Exclamation points ! ! !

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 7, 2010 3:14 PM

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 7, 2010 3:15 PM

I was channel surfing and found Laura on FMC. In one scene toward the end, it

looked like Waldo was about to plant a kiss on Laura when Dana walked in. I believe

Waldo made a fashion faux pas. He wore a large boutonniere which sometimes reached

his pocket handkerchief, making for something that would have looked more at home

under the big top than at a fashionable cocktail party. Nobody's perfect. And how could

a sharpie like Lydecker be so stupid as to leave the murder weapon in Laura's apartment?

He should have taken the advice of the poet Dodson; Don't leave the shotgun in the

apartment, ****.