Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

I think Lydo Waldecker left the gun there on purpose. For one thing, that's just the sort of perverse thing he would do. For another, he doubtless believed that the cops -especially Dana Andrews -

would be too dumb to figure things out and look there. Also I think he just plain liked the idea. Lydo was a weird guy.

Funny you should mention that, because Waldo was talking to Laura and said

something along the lines of I'm a very strange man. Yeah, no kiddin' there, bub.

I hadn't seen it in a number of years, and this time Dana didn't seem as clueless

as I remember. If you know the ending, you notice that in a few shots the camera

seems to stay on the clock for just a millisecond before moving on. And maybe

I wasn't completely awake, but Judith Anderson seemed sexy in an obsessive

kind of way, BION.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> If this event was turned into a noir (someone would have had to be murdered of course)....why do I picture the woman as Ann Savage?

Obviously, you are thinking of *Detour*.

But I am thinking of *Born to Kill*, so I picture her as Claire Trevor.

Also, how many suspects other than Waldo have been allowed to accompany the detective from place to place as he conducts his investigation? (making remarks and suggestions to his heart's content, all the while)

Edited by: finance on Aug 8, 2010 3:45 PM

Maybe the coppers were a little more informal in those days, or maybe it

was a way for Waldo to give Dana the needle a few more times and heighten

their dislike of each other. Waldo should have paid more attention to getting

rid of the evidence instead of doing his supercilious act. But noooooo.

Lysol the Magnificent, looking down on everyone with the greatest of ease. Sorry to hear

that, finance. I wish I could watch FMC during the afternoons, when they show their

studio era films, instead of at night, when's it's Revenge of the Nerds time. I have

DirecTV, and as of last night FMC was still on. IFC is now showing The Three Stooges

around 2 a.m. I like the Stooges, but that's a little too late. Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

I had the fortune of seeing LAURA recently as it was on the Retroplex Channel, something which comes with my basic cable package. I've actually found several Fox noir's showing up on other channels that I do get (they don't have FMC available, apparently).

And I also caught that IFC is airing the Stooges now! They had them in a block this past Saturday afternoon also, and I think they are doing that again, so check it out! I like them much better on there than AMC (I think they are related corporately), because of no ads! The prints are nice too, they seem to be the restored prints used for the recent box sets.

Yes, the Stooges will be on again this Saturday for a few hours in the afternoon.

Maybe I'll catch some of that. IFC has a few good movies on over the next week,

including the pre and post-channeling Ingmar Woodman.

I still have FMC. They've just started Death Hunt (1981) starring Charles Bronson,

Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson and Scruffy the Wonder Husky. Um...er...thanks, but

no thanks.

Tomorrow (Friday August 13) is a big day for Robert Ryan fans. Many fine films by this outstanding actor showing. I will be away most of tomorrow, so I'll have to set up my recorder for the ones I haven't already seen. Irrationally, I want to record even the ones I already have!

There are quite a few noirs in this line-up: *Crossfire*. *The Set-Up*, *Act of Violence*. They're all good, but that last one is fantastic (in my opinion).

There are a number of Robert Ryan films on tomorrow that I've never seen. I'll have to be really organized when it comes to setting up the recorder - can't capture the whole day.

Watched all three....Ryan never disappoints in a film noir....unfortunately they didn't play THE SECRET FURY but there is a Claudette Colbert birthday tribute on September 13 and they will be showing it....highly recommended!

Finance - I own WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS on DVD. I have watched it quite a few times on DVD, but that didn't stop me from watching it live on TCM instead of going out and handling my errands yesterday. I wish they still made films like that.

I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet *(Where the Sidewalk Ends*). Looking forward to it.

What I'm mad at myself about is , somehow I forgot that there was a movie tcm was showing later Saturday night with Gene Tierney and Ty Power !! I suppose I missed my big chance with that one.

,,,Just checked the title: *That Wonderful Urge*, Did anybody have a wonderful urge to watch it? Any good?

Where The Sidewalk Ends is a very good film, you should enjoy it. I taped the late night Gene Tierney movies. Started to watch a little of That Wonderful Urge. I certainly like the people in it, but it wasn't impressing me. The dialogue/script doesn't seem too good. I will have to wait until I have the time to watch it straight through before I give it a thumbs up/down.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet *(Where the Sidewalk Ends*). Looking forward to it.

>

> What I'm mad at myself about is , somehow I forgot that there was a movie tcm was showing later Saturday night with Gene Tierney and Ty Power !! I suppose I missed my big chance with that one.

>

> ,,,Just checked the title: *That Wonderful Urge*, Did anybody have a wonderful urge to watch it? Any good?

I have it in a 10-film Ty Power box set released by 20th Century Fox 2 years ago for the 50th anniversary of his death. It's mostly the fluffy stuff he was in....Fox put out his best roles in the Swashbuckler set or individually....and of course they have yet to release quite a few like SUEZ that played on TCM a few weeks ago (sorry, major Ty Power fan here).

Anyway, the film is fluffly, nothing spectacular. I say just enjoy it for what it is....definitely watch WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS if you are looking for some good acting/good script in a noir.

Has anyone noticed that a Fox film noir has a certain look? Hard to explain but I own several on DVD and they seem to have a look...different from an RKO or MGM....I can't put my finger on it....but maybe someone knows what I mean. WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS has this look I am referring to.

One thing about WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS bothered me. When Andrews was carrying the body out to his car, draped over his shoulder, he walked right by the old lady's window, and she was clearly looking straight out the window. She had already shown herself to be fairly noosy, yet when the police asks her whether she had seen a body being carried out, she unequivocally said no. She had no interest in protecting any killer, so ?????????

LoveFilmNoir wrote:

*Has anyone noticed that a Fox film noir has a certain look? Hard to explain but I own several on DVD and they seem to have a look...different from an RKO or MGM....I can't put my finger on it....but maybe someone knows what I mean. WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS has this look I am referring to.*

I don't know the technical terms for it, but Fox was known to have the crispest film images at that time, with the contrast between black , grey, white stc. especially sharp.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> LoveFilmNoir wrote:

> *Has anyone noticed that a Fox film noir has a certain look? Hard to explain but I own several on DVD and they seem to have a look...different from an RKO or MGM....I can't put my finger on it....but maybe someone knows what I mean. WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS has this look I am referring to.*

>

> I don't know the technical terms for it, but Fox was known to have the crispest film images at that time, with the contrast between black , grey, white stc. especially sharp.

Bingo Arturo. I think you may have just solved this for me. That's exactly what is is....and it is most noticeable on the DVDs that have been restored and released. This might be why their noirs are amongst some of my faves as well (oh and also because of the music score)

Finance, I am going to stick WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS into the DVD player tonight and take a look at what you mentioned and I will get back to you!

I haven't posted in the "noir" forum for a while because I too am waiting for a chance to view *Where the Sidewalk Ends*. Maybe I'll try and watch it tonight too.

...but what about *Man Hunt*? Oh well, I'll take Dana Andrews over Walter Pidgeon.

*...but what about *Man Hunt*? Oh well, I'll take Dana Andrews over Walter Pidgeon.*

I really enjoy MAN HUNT. It was originally planned to star Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney. Power might have been an interesting choice, but Tierney as a Cockney, not so sure. She was miscast so often in her first couple of years, and never was cringe-inducing, so she might have done alright.

OK, got out my recording of *Where the Sidwalk Ends* and watched it last night. (Too bad about *Man Hunt*. So many movies, so little time. Well, at least it isn't a noir.)

I LOVED THIS MOVIE. (look I've turned into johnb. just kidding)

Before I talk about it, I want to address finance's comment about the old lady downstairs. Finance, she was asleep! Every time you see her in that window, she's sitting at the table, listening to classical music with her head down. (Mozart. Strauss, Beethoven.) She does look out the window at people once or twice, but only after someone's awakened her, sometimes to ask her questions. Also, she wasn't particularly nosey. She said, and this seemed to be the case, that she was lonely since her husband had died, she didn't miss him as much if she sat in the kitchen and listened to the radio. If you look at her figure through that window while Dana is sneaking the body down the steps, her head is flopped down and she appears to be asleep. That would explain why she doesn't see Andrews and the body.

What I want to know is, what's up with Dana Andrews carrying a body, even if it's just the distance from the boarding house to his car. and even if it is in the middle of the night? Wouldn't he at least have tossed a blanket around it or something? If somebody had come along, he'd have looked pretty strange.