Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film noir runneth over on the schedule lately

Bishop Sheen on a Heartthrob thread? Bless me father, for I have...

I missed the first half of GANDHI. I had to work, get a haircut, build a steamship and read the dictionary.

EXPERIMENT IN TERROR is a tight little "race against the clock" thriller. Direct and unpretentious, by the talented Blake Edwards. I, also, encourage a look by any who haven't seen it. BADLANDS is a creepy, exciting crime spree story. Bishop Sheen is good in it.

> {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote}

> The good thing about noir is that it's still entertaining, though one can't help but notice

> that, in a general way, you've seen most of it all before.

I'm glad someone gets one of the reasons why I love film noir. The formula is the same, just the plots, people, places etc are different. Not every noir is predictable, I don't always know what I will get, but it's like eating at your favorite restaurant, you know that no matter what you order, the chef will still put his all into it.

mrroberts - thanks for the heads up, I have set my DVR to record! A film Edwards made 10 years later aired on TCM a few months ago. The film is called *The Carey Treatment* and stars a middle age(?) James Coburn (with a great shaggy cut) who plays a pathologist that investigates the "murder/botched abortion" of a hospital chief's daughter after his colleague is accused of the crime. It takes place in Boston, so it was nice to see my city almost 40 years ago. I ended up making myself a copy when I found out it wasn't available on DVD. Also surprised to hear that Edwards wanted his name taken off the film...

forgot to add film title! d'oh!

I've only been to Boston once. Loved it! It's a city with heart. I went to an art house in Cambridge and saw that Capra film about a racehorse. The remake of DETOUR was also playing, but the timing wasn't right for me. I like the history in the town. The restaurants. But, Boy, they eat a lot of fish!

Boston's a fantastic city. All that history, all those wonderful old buildings. Love it. Fish? What about beans? Saltwater taffy? (Boston) cream pie?

What's all this about a remake of *Detour* ? Never heard about that. When? Who directed? Did they get anyone as savage as Ann Savage?

I don't know much about the remake. Still haven't seen it. Oddly, that was how I became aware of the original. Sitting in a diner in Boston, reading the arts section. Naturally, the publicity for the new movie made reference to its predecessor.

I think that works for many film genres (or whatever term one wants to use). A good

mix of the familiar and the particular vision of each film.

Heck, if your first name was Fulton, wouldn't you rather go with Bishop?

LoveFilmNoir, I sympathize not only with your frustration over not knowing what you want to know about that TCM short, but also with your (possible) frustration over not getting a response about it from any of us. I wish I knew, but I don't think I've even seen the clip you're referring to.

Have you thought of asking the same question on the "Information Please" forum? Sometimes I think there's only a handful of people who read the "Noir" threads, whereas quite a few members of this fansite seem to go on the "Information Please" forum.

No, it's a little-known fact that the inventor of saltwater taffy was Henry James. Saltwater taffy is very sticky, and the great 19th century novelist was always one for getting stuck.

I see *Not as a Stranger* is on tonight (Friday) or more accurately, tomorrow morning (2:15 a.m.). Is this regarded as a film noir? I've never seen it. It's got Robert Mitchum and Gloria Graham in it, so that's a good sign. Also, I think, Olivia de Haviland ( who is not very noirish). I'll have to set my recording timer for that one, as I don't plan to stay up till 2:00 a.m. to catch it. I'm afraid it's not very noir of me, but I do have trouble staying up all night.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> No, it's a little-known fact that the inventor of saltwater taffy was Henry James. Saltwater taffy is very sticky, and the great 19th century novelist was always one for getting stuck.

>

> I see *Not as a Stranger* is on tonight (Friday) or more accurately, tomorrow morning (2:15 a.m.). Is this regarded as a film noir? I've never seen it. It's got Robert Mitchum and Gloria Graham in it, so that's a good sign. Also, I think, Olivia de Haviland ( who is not very noirish). I'll have to set my recording timer for that one, as I don't plan to stay up till 2:00 a.m. to catch it. I'm afraid it's not very noir of me, but I do have trouble staying up all night.

Not a noir, but a film I really like.....Mitchum & Sinatra seem a bit too old to be in medical school, but whatever. It's not available on DVD so I plan to record a copy for my library. Broderick Crawford is great as a med school professor.

Some of Henry James' novels are rather hard to get through and difficult to digest,

but they're more rewarding than salt/water taffy. Don't fear the Master. I'm a chocaholic,

so I like to stick with fudge, Mounds, and Choosey Chews.

If Not as a Stranger can be classified as a noir, than just about anything could.

It's a pretty good movie, though it is a little humorous to see Frank and Bob as

medical students. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember that Gloria Grahame

played a not very subtle seductress trying to steal Mitchum away from poor Olivia,

but in the end Bob returns to Olivia.

For me, the most distinctive thing about NOT AS A STRANGER is that in no movie EVER have so many actors been miscast. Mitchum, Sinatra, Crawford, Lee Marvin (can you really see any of them as doctors or future doctors ?---I wouldn't want any of them operating on me), and De Havilland with that accent.

Edited by: finance on Aug 28, 2010 9:23 AM

I'm embarrassed to confess that after my big announcement about *Not as a Stranger*, a film I've always wanted to see if only because Mitch and Gloria Graham are in it,I neglected to set my timer to record it and thus missed my big chance. Even if it isn't a noir, I still thought it would be worth at least one viewing. Maybe next time.

Another big announcement: At 3 o'clock in the morning, Thursday September 2, TCM is airing a great British noir, *They Made Me a Fugitive*. Last time they showed this, I came upon it unexpectedly and only saw the second half. But that half whetted my appetite to see it in its entirety, so this Wednesday or Thursday , however you want to designate it, in the middle of the night, Turner's screening it again.

Very noirish, very good, starring of all people, Trevor Howard.

Set your timers or drink a gallon of Red Bull to stay awake until 3:00a.m. for this one.

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 28, 2010 11:07 AM

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 28, 2010 11:08 AM

My typing skill is not commensurate with my typing speed, hence typos and spellos that need to be edited.

I must confess a certain pleasure derived from NOT AS A STRANGER. Some elements could be called cheesy; soapy. But stories of this nature are about human issues. Choices and consequences. Heavy handed they may be. But at no time am I bored. Even last night, having seen it before, I enjoyed the experience.