Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KISS OF DEATH question

Anybody know why Patricia Morrison's scenes as Victor Mature's wife were all but eliminated from KISS OF DEATH? I've been trying to find the answer to this, unsuccessfully, for many years. I've read that there was Oscar talk re: her performance. I know that 20th has been known to edit out or cut most of a performance from a film, sometimes because an actor would not sign a long-term contract with them.

Collen Grey played the babysitter who subsequently became the Victor Mature character's second

wife. The first wife has very little screen time, and what she does have is in the first few minutes of the film. As I recall, it's indicated that the first wife was unfaithful to him while he was in prison.

*Kiss of Death* is another great noir.

Sorry , Arturo, I don't have the answer to your query about that actress. I've never heard of her .

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 23, 2010 9:32 AM

A little bit of trivia about Patricia Morrison. She was a singing star as well as a dramatic actress. I had the fortune of meeting her a few years ago. I was working as cashier in an upscale market and she was a customer there. I noticed her name on the credit card receipt, and we chatted for a few minutes. I ended the conversation by saying that she had made my day. She responded that no, I had made her day when I recognized her name. A very gracious lady.

Terrence.

I had read that Patricia's scenes were cut from the movie because they did not pass the strict production code of the Hays office. In the film, I think pat's character was either raped or she was so ashamed of the infidelity, patricia stuck her head in the oven and killed herself. The production code morons would not give the film their seal of approval until all shocking and offensive scenes were removed. And thus Patricia's best acting job fell on the cutting room floor.

Patricia Morison is still alive and a spry 95 year old who i believe lives in NYC. I've seen her in a lot of her 1940's films and she was a good actress and very beautiful.

Yes, Miss Wonderly, that was definitely a perk at that job. I met so many stars during that time. It is amazing the number of actors who do their own shopping! I have so many pleasant memories of that time in my life.

Terrence.

Patricia Morrison was signed by Paramount in the late 30s after some success on the stage. Her beauty was reminscent of that studio's Dorothy Lamour, and got her partially as insurance should Lamour act up. In any event, she was wasted in featured parts or an occasional lead in 'b's, but left around 42-43. She freelanced for a few years, but got nowhere. KISS OF DEATH seemed like her big break finally. She left Hollywood in 1948, and became a star on Broadway in 1948 in Kiss Me Kate, where her vocal abilities were finallay put to use. In the 50s, she did more plays and much television, but never did much more in films. A waste of a beautiful, talented actress.

*I had read that Patricia's scenes were cut from the movie because they did not pass the strict production code of the Hays office. In the film, I think pat's character was either raped or she was so ashamed of the infidelity, patricia stuck her head in the oven and killed herself. The production code morons would not give the film their seal of approval until all shocking and offensive scenes were removed. And thus Patricia's best acting job fell on the cutting room floor.*

Thaks Randyishere. I do now remember vaguelly that it had to do with censorship problems. How sad that most of her scenes had to be cut out. I wonder if they could exist somewhere, and maybe added as extras to a future dvd release of KISS OF DEATH (maybe a 65th anniversary edition in a couple of years - HINT HINT 20th).

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> *I had read that Patricia's scenes were cut from the movie because they did not pass the strict production code of the Hays office. In the film, I think pat's character was either raped or she was so ashamed of the infidelity, patricia stuck her head in the oven and killed herself. The production code morons would not give the film their seal of approval until all shocking and offensive scenes were removed. And thus Patricia's best acting job fell on the cutting room floor.*

>

> Thaks Randyishere. I do now remember vaguelly that it had to do with censorship problems. How sad that most of her scenes had to be cut out. *I wonder if they could exist somewhere, and maybe added as extras to a future dvd release of KISS OF DEATH (maybe a 65th anniversary edition in a couple of years - HINT HINT 20th).*

Those of us who purchased the DVDs in the Fox Film noir set deserved some extras like these....those films offer nothing but subtitles and the original trailer.

• 2 weeks later...