Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wild River, Starring Montgomery Clift and Directed by Elia Kazan

Has TCM ever shown this film? I heard that Fox's Movie Channel (which I don't get) has shown it. It has never been released on DVD. Elia Kazan, legendary director, Montgomery Clift, legendary star, beautiful film, Fox, why no DVD release? I know I'm not the only one wondering this. Plus this is one of the only (three I believe?) films where Monty is in color, not black and white. The lovely Lee Remick co-stars.

It underwent a major restoration which was completed last year. The restoration was screened at the TCM Film Festival earlier this year.

Some of the films that screened there are making there way to TCM so, hopefully, this will be one of them. Those who saw the film at the festival said it looked beautiful.

As for a DVD release, the film is owned by Fox. So, it is up to them to either license it to Criterion or release the film themselves.

It was a gorgeous print that we were lucky enough to see at the TCM Fest. This is one of Monty's best, and Lee Remick claims it as one of her favorite films, as well as Kazan.

Jo Van Fleet is fantastic. She was only 40 when she played Mrs. Garth. Amazing performance!

Kingrat, another of the savvy posters here at TCM City, was at the same screening and also

enjoyed it. Maybe he will chime in here, too.

Don't miss it if you ever get a chance. When it's out on DVD, I'm sending for it!

> {quote:title=AllTheLovelyStars wrote:}{quote}

> Has TCM ever shown this film? I heard that Fox's Movie Channel (which I don't get) has shown it.

Yes, FMC probably shows it at least a dozen times a year. It appears to be one of those films that they keep to themselves and won't lease to competing channels. I don't think TCM has ever run it, at least as far back as my records go in 2007. TCM has been making some progress in getting films from Fox so you never know it may just turn up one day.

This also brings up something else that's been discussed before and that's the fact two of Kazan's great films, WILD RIVER and A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, have been available on DVD for years in Europe, but have never been released here. While some of us have bought special players so we can import DVDs from all parts of the world it can't be done with a normal models sold in this country.

And if you ever get a chance to see the restored version on the big screen, as SueSue and I did at the festival, do not miss it, even if you've seen it on TV. A powerful, well-acted, and physically very beautiful film. Some of the other restored films shown at the festival have been making their way to TCM, so this one probably will be, too.

I too love this film, and try to see it when it's shown on FMC (although I think it's also been on HBO Signature and/or MoreMax). Would have loved to have seen it on the big screen, in its original widescreen dimensions.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

> I know it did air on TCM in the last two years. I am thinking it was in 2008.

>

> I hope FMC shows it later this year.

I went through all my issues of Now Playing though July 2007 and didn't see it, but I am missing one issue so it's possible it was that month. As for watching for it on FMC you can check the schedule at [thefoxmoviechannel.com], right now it's up through August, but don't expect them to be like TCM, sometimes you're lucky if it's two weeks ahead.

Nice to hear that "Wild River" has been restored, anytime I ever saw it on tv it looked rather poor. One of the local Philadelphia tv stations used to show it late at night quite often. Even when I was a kid I thought it was a neat movie and as I got older I started to fall in love with Lee Remick. I have seen it on FMC recently, when a DVD comes out, I will buy it. It would be great to see it on the big screen, but I can think of a hundred or more films I would like to see on the big screen.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote} ... anytime I ever saw it on tv it looked rather poor.

I haven't watched it any place but on FMC in recent years, but I remember the TV prints from the mid-1970s and those were pretty bad. Very grainy and that was actually before they started to do pan and scan. All they did was print the middle of the frame which caused the viewer to see noses on each side of the screen and the trees in the background.

• 2 months later...

Nice to hear that "Wild River" has been restored, anytime I ever saw it on tv it looked rather poor. One of the local Philadelphia tv stations used to show it late at night quite often. Even when I was a kid I thought it was a neat movie and as I got older I started to fall in love with Lee Remick. I have seen it on FMC recently, when a DVD comes out, I will buy it. It would be great to see it on the big screen, but I can think of a hundred or more films I would like to see on the big screen. - < mrroberts >

Well you're in luck Mr. Roberts. See this new poster's announcement here:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=155906&tstart=0

Despite having received mixed reviews when released in 1960, with the passing of time, this has turned out to be something of an underrated film. This is especially the case, considering the brillant and grand performance by the great and legendary Jo Van Fleet. If anything, she dominates the motion picture and gives it the necessary values of interest. The screenplay by Paul Osborn is at times a bit on the melodramatic side, but what's probably lacking was a sense of style and a lack of smooth flowing structure to the plot that director Elia Kazan simply couldn't master this time around. One very interesting misconception about the film is that the music score was written by Kenyon Hopkins and not long time associate to Kazan, Alex North. The reason to mention this is because composer North had already made a reputation for himself at 20th Century-Fox, having written film scores for various movies about the South. Still, "Wild River" is a film that shouldn't be so overlooked or bypassed by way of the fine cast and its rather heartfelt storyline.

MP, you may have an even more favorable view of Wild River if you get to see the restored version on the big screen. The autumnal color palette looks great, and Kazan uses the wide screen effectively. The scene where Lee Remick and Montgomery Clift drift across the river on a raft is screen poetry. At least one critic has suggested that Kazan comes close to Frank Borzage in this film, and as odd as that sounds, I think it's correct.

You're so right about Jo Van Fleet's performance, which is amazing.