Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under The Stars 2010

I indeed am excited, particularly for John Gilbert (Aug. 24) and especially Thelma Todd (Aug. 30). All in all, a nice blend of stars, and even some of the more "obvious" ones have a few films that rarely get into the mix.

You can learn more -- including a list of past SUTS subjects dating back to the beginning of the promotion in 2003 -- at http://community.livejournal.com/carole_and_co/325428.html.

I know she was featured before as part of the SUTS lineup, but I am looking forward to Maureen O'Hara's day. I think she's a rather versatile actress and I will enjoy sampling from her filmography.

I could do without a Kate Hepburn day, since she's in heavy rotation all year. I would've preferred a day devoted to Barbara Stanwyck.

Yes, most of those Katharine Hepburn films will be repeated again before the end of the year.

Now, Walter Matthau's day will be good...because they don't show his films too often...and an evening of his work based on Neil Simon plays will be a lot of fun to watch.

Looking more carefully at the daily schedules in August, I can't help but think the programmers missed essential films for many of these stars. I know there are plenty of reasons why some films were excluded, but it still doesn't cut it. If you're going to do a day-long tribute to a star, then you really do need to include the work that shows off their acting best.

For instance:

Ethel Barrymore's day should include THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE. Those final scenes where she blows the bad guy away on the stairs, that is one of her most dramatic moments on film.

Gene Tierney's day really needs a screening of LAURA. No matter how you slice it, her day is truly incomplete...that is the film that put her over the top.

Henry Fonda's day is sorely missing THE GRAPES OF WRATH. When we look at Hank's filmography, that is probably his most essential film. If they can get MY DARLING CLEMENTINE from Fox, then surely they can get WRATH.

I feel that Maureen O'Hara's day should include SITTING PRETTY. And maybe even ONLY THE LONELY. Or THE RARE BREED. We need to see some of her comedy roles besides THE PARENT TRAP.

I think they did Olivia de Havilland's correctly, except for one item. Instead of THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX (where she has very limited screen time), they should've selected IN THIS OUR LIFE. It's a much stronger role for Olivia and really shows off her acting with Bette. ESSEX is best used for Errol Flynn's day.

Ingrid Bergman's day is missing two of her Oscar winning roles. There's no ANASTASIA and no MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Incomplete.

Bob Hope's day is obviously missing his big solo hits at Paramount in the 40s.

How could Norma Shearer's day not include THE WOMEN??? I'm flabbergasted.

I think they did Paul Newman's day right...but it would've been nice if they picked THE VERDICT or MR. & MRS. BRIDGE...something from later in his career. THE COLOR OF MONEY would've been a good one to show in the evening, since he won an Oscar for it.

They did a good job on Lauren Bacall's day...but like Paul Newman, they should've picked something from later in her career, like MISERY or THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES.

Well, Anastasia is a Fox film, maybe they couldnt get it. Are they showing Leave Her to Heaven for Tierney? Hope so. Have never seen it.

Sorry, but I cant stand Walter Matthau, so I wont be watching that day!

You are in luck, they are showing *Leave Her to Heaven* in the 8pm prime time slot.

ClassicViewer - I am in agreement with much of your SUTS 2010 analysis.

The conclusion I have come to is that SEVERAL SUTS actors and actresses both current and in the past had incomplete days because of the films they were unable to get a hold of from Fox, Universal or Paramount.

I think they should not even attempt to do a day on a star unless they can get all the essentials or the most essential films for that performer. Henry Fonda's day without THE GRAPES OF WRATH is just plain wrong.

I don't understand why THE WOMEN is missing from Norma's day...that's an MGM film and should be easy for them to include.

In the case of actors whose work they cannot get from other studios, then they should just save those stars for a special evening where they can highlight one or two rare gems, broadcast anytime throughout the year.

But on a SUTS lineup, it should be actors for whom they can get all sorts of selections that completely encapsulate the actor's body of work. And it should definitely include films from the 70s, 80s and 90s if it's an actor who had a long career and made essential films in later decades.

I am not averse to spreading an actor out over two days...I think there are many essential Clark Gable films that could take up two days. Same for Robert Taylor, William Powell, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

I disagree that they shouldn't give a star the SUTS treatment if they don't have their essential films. However, I think they should work hard and also be a little creative when selecting stars in the meantime, while they work on licensing for the future.

For example, Dan Duryea has two good noirs where he is quite visible throughout the movie, that are in the public domain - why not give him a day? They gave Woody Strode a day (I am in strong support of this) and in some of those films, his screen time is very limited.

I love the cover of this month's Now Playing....Gene looks like she's giving us the finger.

I also really like that there are days of actors/actresses I don't much care for so I can get some work done; Robt Ryan, Kathryn Grayson.

Then, there's days where I am familiar with the work and will catch them as I can; Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor.

A treat to explore some artist's work not often shown: Lee Remick, Gene Tierney.

first.gif

But I've already put in time to take Aug 30 off work. I'll burn out the recorder for the hours I'll be sleeping. The entire day of Thelma Todd premieres is ASTOUNDING! w00t.gif

Probably the day I am most looking forward to is the John Mills day.

However instead of days I am more excited about individual films like the Rossellini films on the Ingrid Bergman day and The Student Prince on Norma Shearer day.

> I think they should not even attempt to do a day on a star unless they can get all the essentials or the most essential films for that performer. Henry Fonda's day without THE GRAPES OF WRATH is just plain wrong.

In the past, we've had some people whine that they only play the same "major" movies for stars' birthday/SUTS salutes over and over again, and not the lesser-known stuff. Then, we get other people who complain that TCM doesn't show the big stuff.

TCM can't win either way. ;-)

The reason I think they should have the essential films for each performer on a special tribute day is because it helps bring new fans to classic film. Let's say someone is not really familiar with Fonda's work...then this is the perfect format to showcase YOUNG MR. LINCOLN, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, MR. ROBERTS, 12 ANGRY MEN...all the true essential films for this actor. If you omit a key title, then you are doing the viewer a disservice.

As I said earlier, Kate is in heavy rotation year round...so is Liz Taylor. In fact, I think Liz's day should've been turned into a Montgomery Clift day (three major films from both their filmographies overlap)...and Clift usually isn't given his due.

Another poster said TCM can't win...but TCM can definitely win if they do this right.

*Henry Fonda's day is sorely missing THE GRAPES OF WRATH. When we look at Hank's filmography, that is probably his most essential film. If they can get MY DARLING CLEMENTINE from Fox, then surely they can get WRATH.*

They did get *Grapes of Wrath* for Fonda's SUTS day within the last two years. It was posted here that the contract for *Grapes* had limited screenings and an expiration date. The same held true when TCM was finally able to acquire *All About Eve* the year earlier.

At the TCM Film Festival, TCMProgrammr talked about the difficulties they have with Fox films and he is exploring all avenues with them to get them to allow TCM more access to their vaults.

But, it is a two-way street, and Fox has to cooperate.

Perhaps in the future, we will see TCM's efforts pay off.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Henry Fonda's day is sorely missing THE GRAPES OF WRATH. When we look at Hank's filmography, that is probably his most essential film. If they can get MY DARLING CLEMENTINE from Fox, then surely they can get WRATH.*

>

> They did get *Grapes of Wrath* for Fonda's SUTS day within the last two years. It was posted here that the contract for *Grapes* had limited screenings and an expiration date. The same held true when TCM was finally able to acquire *All About Eve* the year earlier.

>

> At the TCM Film Festival, TCMProgrammr talked about the difficulties they have with Fox films and he is exploring all avenues with them to get them to allow TCM more access to their vaults.

>

> But, it is a two-way street, and Fox has to cooperate.

>

> Perhaps in the future, we will see TCM's efforts pay off.

lzcutter, I believe I remember seeing *Grapes* in 2008 when Hank had a day. They also played *Stage Struck* with Susan Strasberg (a film I would like to see again).

Like I said in another thread, I am confident that TCM is very enthusiastic of getting access to Fox's vaults - as it shows in Bob's intros. I am counting on Fox to be cooperate particularly since the rarest of their films don't even get aired on their network - and have very decent prints available. I say Fox either step up their efforts with the daytime programming on their channel to compete with TCM or license more films.

ClassicViewer - I don't believe 24 hours of a star's essential films will introduce them to younger/new audiences. One usually begins to appreciate these things in small doses. For example, you watch *Citizen Kane*, soak up all the messages, the good acting, etc....then seek out information on Orson Welles and his other directorial efforts ( *The Magnificent Ambersons*, *The Stranger* ) and other films he starred in (The Third Man). I doubt someone new to him will sit down for 6 hours straight watching his films. Just my opinion though, some of my favorites I watched in a film or two or three, did some searches on their background info and film careers and then began to search for certain films.

*I say Fox either step up their efforts with the daytime programming on their channel to compete with TCM or license more films.*

I don't think anyone here at TCM City disagrees with you on that point. But, TCM can try and try and try, at the end of the day, Fox has to want to play ball.

And these days, TCM is trying to get Fox to play a friendlier game of ball.

Here's hoping, from your mouth to Tom Rothman's ears.

I'm certain that if one looked over the film listings over the years for stars selected more than once, TCM has tried to approach them from different perspectives. For example, one year a William Powell SUTS might emphasize his films with Myrna Loy; another time, the Powell SUTS would largely examine his work at studios other than MGM (e.g., his early thirties work at Paramount and Warners). I doubt TCM programmers repeat material all that much for those stars featured multiple times.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> However instead of days I am more excited about individual films like the Rossellini films on the Ingrid Bergman day

Yeah, agreed! I've been trying to see John Cassavetes' films and I spotted one in the line-up! Same with Rossellini.

I was amazed to see Julie Christie given a day. The only pictures I've seen her in is Dr Zhivago and Heaven Can Wait where she looks and acts anesthetized. There's a few PREMIERE films scheduled on her day that had 4 star ratings according to Leonard Maltin's book, especially praising her work.

I love seeing films that open my narrow opinion!

I'm not b*tching and moaning and whining and nitpicking about TCM's schedule. I see a number of stars who I can't wait to see their day. I'm grateful for all that TCM does for classic films and classic film lovers. (Love Julie Christie).

Keep rockin' it TCM!