Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Down with the modern films

Folks, suppose they do away with YOUR favorite catagory? Suppose they toss out the silents, or the pre-codes, or the foreign films? Some of the folks who want to get rid of the few post 60's films, are the very ones who scream bloody murder if someone hints that there are too many silents, or Bollywood, or ( name your catagory). Just remember that when the bath water is thrown out YOUR baby may be in it.

Well said, Slappy...and others in this thread have also demonstrated a little "tolerance" above the "I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me" ideation that permeates our society, and which I've noted and appreciated as I've read through this thread. Thanks to all of you who expressed your thoughts.

It's so easy to argue over what constitutes a "classic movie" and what doesn't, and just as easy to put down entire genre's of film simply because they're not to your particular taste. But, the truth of the matter has always seemed to me that no matter what genre we examine or sample from, or what year a movie was produced, there are just too many excellent films that are too important to label as trash. It's totally impossible for this reason for me to completely affix myself exclusively to the movies from just one era, or just my personal favorite Genre's. So what, in all seriousness, is there to warrent all this fuss?

There are a lot of movies that I'm not particularly fond of, but because I value and respect the tastes that other people have for them I see no need to put them down, and have come to enjoy hearing what others have to say about them. And, there have even been a few movies that by "making" myself sit and pay attention, I have come to value. Two years ago I refused to watch "Citizen Kane" one more time...but have since taped it and have seen it from an entirely new light by now and can also value it's worth as a true classic masterpiece. Then the same thing happened with "Pulp Fiction" and all of "The Godfather" movies. Bash "Tootsie" all you want, but there are places in it that totally delight me, and other places that that restore my faith in how just one man can set aside gender and fully understand the opposite sex from their perspective in becoming a more "total being". Not bad for a silly little movie to be able to do all this!

TCM is doing all of us a favor to give us a huge sampling from every possible Genre, and from the earliest to the most recent of films. It just doesn't get any better than that, folks! So, I'm not going to buy into the "down with anything" banter, and will continue to say "up with cinema"! :)ML

Mary Lou,

Your views and opinions are always reflective of a person with a great deal of insight .That is why I look forward to reading them.It is easy to bash other films .When asked,I will give my opinion of the movie and will leave it at that.For instance,i'm not a big fan of Citizen Kane,but I still think that its an important film.There is a place for any film, be it a B movie, or blockbuster.Even a Ed Wood epic has some merit. The merit of any film is decided by the the viewer.

missed your post about "Head".

Yes, that is one of those oddball films, which is really not so good, but somehow becomes a bit of a cult film and fun to watch in retrospect.

A bit like "Candy" which is a terrible waste of talents like Burton and Brando, and yet it is fun to watch Brando completely being off the wall, as the guru like guy.

"Head" and "Candy" were disasters when first released. Hmmm...maybe there is hope for a rerelease of "Ishtar" now?

boaster of old films and silent films, and rarely see a film nowadays which can compare.

But...there are always a few, which in my opinion would compete with some of the best from the past.

I was talking about "The Player" by Altman in another thread, and that film was that rare gem, which paid tribute to old films with many in jokes, was made by someone who knew the comedy of manners of Hollywood, and it was in a direct line with many other films made about Hollywood.

And I think it would be a fine film to play on TCM, even though it is after 1964, or 1944, or even 1934.

It reminds me of some of the incisive films like "Letter to Three Wives" which had witty dialogue and clever situations.

Good films are not relegated to any specific years [even 1939 which probably had some stinkers besides the classics] even though it many seem that many more good ones were made pre-1980. I definitely do not want to see cutesy, current laugh riots like Parenthood showing up a lot on TCM, or abortive remakes like the current The Ladykillers, which cannot hold a candle to the old film with Alec Guinness, but I have faith in the TCM programming panache, to keep the faith and pick only the cream of the crop of post-'60's films for showing in the future.

They do seem to usually have really good taste....

• 3 months later...

Bravo TCM for playing modern day films. It's the only place to see newer films in Widescreen. I'm tired of the movie channels showing only Fullscreen versions. TCM does a great job of not oversaturating the playlist with too many newer films but does play them and should. Why does a classic have to be defined as old. What's wrong with airings of Superman or Grease or other modern day films in their true Widescreen format. If it wasn't for TCM many modern films would never get the true treatment they deserve on television.

Since TCM is the only channel I get that is commercial-free, I enjoy seeing a newer movie occasionaly without commercials and uncut. When a film goes to 'regular' cable TV they bleep and cut and chop the film to death, making it sometimes pointless to watch. And it seems we can trust TCM's judgement to pick films for all of us in every other 'classic' catagory, why not 'modern classics'?,in which I would certainly put Parenthood, along with many others. There is no cut-off point for good films. Granted there's a lot more trash made today, but there's always been BAD movies made and I think TCM does a good job of filtering those out for us.

I am a huge fan of classic horror, but I've watched lots of 'modern' horror and found a lot to like there too!

So I say up with commercial-free films old and new!

I agree, lorrekarloff. A classic is a classic, no matter the age of the film.

The only thing I object to these days is the excess of unnecessary special effects (flying people in a drama???). What about reality? And I don't mean 'reality tv'!

I appreciate a good story that is well-told, whatever the genre, whatever the era.

maperette

I'm with you harlowkeatongirl. I accidentally missed seeing on of my favorite movies "Bed of Roses" with Pert Kelton (from the 30's) last week, and now I will have to wait another 2 years for TCM to show it again. Unfortunately one thing I can count on is TCM showing "Parenthood" and "Sleepless in Seattle" every month.

That snarky reply below is unwarranted: TCM only showed those two films as part of its Oscar line-up last month. I taped BED OF ROSES last year, so you don't have to wait that long.

And EVERYONE who loves old films should be jumping for joy at the great April schedule of TCM premieres of Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chase, Arbuckle, et al. A true feast.