Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comedians that are NOT funny

> {quote:title=zasupittsfan wrote:}{quote}

> Beware the Hudson Brothers

I didn't think ANYone remembered them! I was a tad too old for their humor when they appeared on Sat morning TV, but I remember them being very popular.

Whenever someone talks about Kate Hudson I mention her famous parents. Most know who Goldie Hawn is (although very few associate her with early career Laugh In) but sadly, her father is forgotten.

hudson.jpg

I remember them. They were a bit silly but harmless. They had a Top 40 record back in the mid 70's. (I still have it.) And one of them, up until recently, was writing and producing for Ringo Starr.

Edited by: movieman1957 on Aug 12, 2010 9:52 AM

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> SansFin -

>

> I am sorry to disagree with you, but George Gobel did not imitate pea soup. That was Jack Gilford.

>

> They were both very funny. :D

This is very embarassing. It is even more so since I have always thought of Jack Gilford as poor man's George Gobel and somewhat guilty pleasure. I very much like Jack Gilford but always have 'I must be acting like little girl to laugh so hard at this' feeling.

I just don't get Ben Stiller. To me, he's not funny. Some of the actors around him are funny, but I don't think he is. I think his movies would be funnier if only he wasn't in them.

Now Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Eddie Murphy are funny.

But comedy is relative, as we all get a load of on holidays.

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 17, 2010 8:10 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 17, 2010 8:22 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 17, 2010 8:33 PM

Edited by: WhyaDuck on Aug 17, 2010 9:05 PM

I liked The Two Ronnies, but only knew one other person who did.

I also remember The Goodies, sort of a cross between The Monkees and Monty Python. I watched it, but mainly by default, in the days before cable with a million channels. They did have one very good ep though. It was Apartheight, a satire on South Africa's apartheid system, but everyone was separated by height.

Tiki, the Hudson Bros. were not so nice. My son did a bit of acting for them in a short they were producing for the airlines. The thing was that they made fun of him (he was abt 8) because he had a big overbite. This Mama Bear did not take kindly to these idiots.

I loved THE TWO RONNIES! But my fave British Comedy series was THE GOOD NEIGHBORS, a story of a suburban couple who leave "the system" and try living self sufficiently much to the disdain of their hoity toity neighbors. Chickens & goats on 1/4 acre lot in suburbia - it was a riot!

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> Tiki, the Hudson Bros. were not so nice. (snipped) they made fun of him (he was abt 8)

Brothers are notorious for "ganging up" on people, so I totally believe your story.

And that just reinforces my theory that those who really become famous and _retain_ it, are the cream of the crop. (like aforementioned Goldie Hawn)

I think there are hundreds, thousands of people out there with "talent". It's a trick to be "discovered", but once you are, it's up to YOU, the inner you, to maintain your position of fame. Those who push others around, are rude and egotistical end up failing and are quickly forgotten. Those who are polite to their coworkers and kind to their fans are the ones who really survive.

It's no surprise that when people talk of meeting a big star they ALWAYS say, "S/He was so nice! They spoke a few minutes with me and was happy to sign my program." I think that's actually WHY they are a big star and not a fly-by-night.

I have adopted this theory and am kind & friendly to everyone I work with-from the big boss to the secretary who answers the phone to those who sweep the floor. We are all doing our part in the big picture, even though I'm the one on TV. And I love overhearing, "Oh she'd be happy to talk with you, she's really nice."

I guess that's why we all love Jerry Lewis's portrayal in THE KING OF COMEDY. It's what we expect.

Tikisoo wrote:

"...It's no surprise that when people talk of meeting a big star they ALWAYS say, "S/He was so nice! They spoke a few minutes with me and was happy to sign my program." I think that's actually WHY they are a big star and not a fly-by-night.

I have adopted this theory and am kind & friendly to everyone I work with-from the big boss to the secretary who answers the phone to those who sweep the floor. We are all doing our part in the big picture, *even though I'm the one on TV*. And I love overhearing, "Oh she'd be happy to talk with you, she's really nice."

I hope you don't mind my asking, but now I'm curious: who are you?

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Tikisoo wrote:

>

> "...It's no surprise that when people talk of meeting a big star they ALWAYS say, "S/He was so nice! They spoke a few minutes with me and was happy to sign my program." I think that's actually WHY they are a big star and not a fly-by-night.

>

> I have adopted this theory and am kind & friendly to everyone I work with-from the big boss to the secretary who answers the phone to those who sweep the floor. We are all doing our part in the big picture, *even though I'm the one on TV*. And I love overhearing, "Oh she'd be happy to talk with you, she's really nice."

>

> I hope you don't mind my asking, but now I'm curious: who are you?

I don't know who she is, but I'll bet that she's never co-hosted on "The View"!

> {quote:title=MGMMayer wrote:}{quote}

> I don't know who she is, but I'll bet that she's never co-hosted on "The View"!

Why, are they nasty?

As for why I'm on TV....that's because I tend to have jobs that make news fluff pieces. I've also been the apoplectic nerdo "expert" talking head in documentaries. You know, those people you tell to get a life.

Off the top of my head, I've never really cared for:

Jerry Lewis (although some of his movies are okay for short time, never cared for his solo stand-up performances)

The Three Stooges (too violent, which seems to be their entire schtick sometimes)

Don Rickles (never got the whole insult as humor thing)

Sarah Silverman

My favorite British duo are French and Saunders. Saunders is best known for Ab Fab It is raunchy comedy with no redeeming social value. I love it. Dawn French is in Vicar of Dibley She is riot as woman vicar in small country parish.

I can not stand Rowan Atkinson except in his Black Adder series which I love and I can not picture anyone else playing that part so perfectly.

To The Manor Born stars Penelope Keith who was also in Good Neighbors I like To The Manor Born more because I felt it moved along faster.

Coupling has to be seen to be believed. I will never forget episode where girl is depressed over losing her job and takes some drugs. She makes sock puppet and gets into argument with it. In desperate bid to appear normal in front of her old boss she pulls off sock and her hand screams: "I'm naked!"

As Time Goes By is gentle comedy with Judi Dench. I am not sure of its relationship to A Fine Romance

May to December is also gentle comedy. It is about gym mistress falling in love with solicitor twice her age. It has ditzy parts like secretary telling someone: "Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns." It also has many touching moments.

I do not know why I like British comedies more than American ones.

>As Time Goes By is gentle comedy with Judi Dench. I am not sure of its relationship to A Fine Romance

They both star Judi Dench and were written by Bob Laraby. It is because I enjoyed "As Time Goes By" so much I thought I'd give "A Fine Romance" a try.