Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a question....

Is it possible that in part of TCM's deal with Fox to borrow films like the Fox ones shown on Tierney's day, the one to be aired on Maureen O'Hara's day, and any other ones....is that they show advertising of Fox movies to DVD? Almost like purchasing adspace? I am genuinely curious and I too would love to see these Charlie Chan movies....at least one before I buy the box set.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> I have a question....

>

> Is it possible that in part of TCM's deal with Fox to borrow films like the Fox ones shown on Tierney's day, the one to be aired on Maureen O'Hara's day, and any other ones....is that they show advertising of Fox movies to DVD?

Yes, and that is fine. That?s a trade-off. TCM might also do that with other companies to get a lower rate on their rental fees. I remember TCM promoted ?The Good German?, ?Chicago?, and the new ?King Kong? quite a lot a few years ago.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> But 'some people on this board' isn't enough for me know what the actual position of TCM really is.

The ?actual? position of TCM is that we can?t see the Chan movies on TCM, but we can order the DVD packages of Chan films from TCM for $42 each, and they are advertised frequently.

But do you know why TCM doesn't show these movies? Most of the time it is because they don't have the rights and the cost to obtain said rights isn't worth it.

Thus any scam wouldn't be TCM fault but instead the fault of those that own the rights.

To me the use of the term 'scam' directed at TCM is still an open question.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> > But 'some people on this board' isn't enough for me know what the actual position of TCM really is.

>

> The ?actual? position of TCM is that we can?t see the Chan movies on TCM, but we can order the DVD packages of Chan films from TCM for $42 each, and they are advertised frequently.

But, Fred, and I am sure you realize this...you are not really buying the movies from TCM, you are buying them from Movies Unlimited (if on the TCM site), a separate company. They may have an agreement of some kind with TCM, but they are not TCM.

And it must be kept in mind that though one may sell something on video, it doesn't mean they have rights to broadcast them. Two entirely different contracts.

>>A year or two ago, TCM did air some of the Chan films. I recorded some of them.

As I recall, they ran as part of the "Asians in Film" series that came with the expected disclaimers about possibly racist content.

FMC had a whole summer long fest planned, but activists called an end to that. They came back a few months later with a panel hosted by George Takei and I guess it did little to soften the hurt feelings as FMC has never run a Chan film again. But FMC doesn't mind running ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE.

The Monogram Chans have an even harder time of it as there are not only Asian pressure groups, but Black activists who take offense to Mantan Moreland.

Personally, I just glad to be able to buy these films if they can't be shown on TV without getting somebody in a snit. You can't buy legal AMOS AND ANDY shows or SONG OF THE SOUTH. No matter what contributions the performers in those made in helping to establish inroads, activist groups insist that you're too stupid not to be turned into a **** member.

I wonder how much TCM-channel administration has to do with selection and marketing of DVDs. Did department which creates schedules chose those movies? Did people associated with TCM broadcasts decide to create that theme package? I think in any modern corporation there would be wide separation of duties between selecting and airing movies for channel and selecting, manufacturing and promoting DVDs.

That TCM name appears in marketing and on package means nothing. It is brand owned by Time Warner/AOL and can be used by them for anything. I have no inside knowledge but I think it reasonable to assume that administration for channel had no say in DVD package and that TCM name and logo is used only because it is good marketing to associate product with established source of classic movies to give consumers impression it is authoritative and definitive collection.

That separation can explain why 'TCM-channel' choses not to air those movies but 'TCM-marketing department of Time Warner/AOL who can slap TCM logo onto any product' choses to sell those movies.

Maybe I feel the way I do because I?m an older guy, and I remember seeing Charlie Chan films all the time, for free, on broadcast TV in the ?50s, ?60s, and ?70s, and then for just a few bucks a month on AMC in the ?80s, and then on TCM in the ?90s.

And now... after seeing these films for 50 years on TV, suddenly, nothing. They?re gone. Except as a series of five $42 DVD packages.

Hey, I feel your pain there. Under the thread 'how many movies do you own' I said I have over 300 on BETA tape. Of couse a DVD is a lot better in terms of quality but I got all these movies for free (well the cost of the tape and the 2 Beta systems I had to purchase over 25 years).

Thus even for my favorite movies I'm too cheap to buy the DVD when I know I can pull out the Beta (or just wait for TCM to show the movie which is mostly what I do).

Of course I'm also a collector of jazz guitar music especially from the 50s. Well almost all the great artists are American but before the internet and file sharing the only place one could get a CD of some of these artist was to buy a Japanese import and these would cost 50% more (if you could even order them) and all the liner notes were in Japanese.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> mark, it might be worth you getting an all-region player. Amazon UK has the Chanthology set for just ?7.97 plus shipping, It comes out to just under $16.

>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlie-Chan-Chanthology-Sidney-Toler/dp/B0006466GC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1281918344&sr=8-1

Filmlover, thank you! Will look into that!

I bought 2 of the Fox sets, so far. May get more, but have to watch the budget. The latest set from TCM is one I'd like to have also, hope they re-package all the Monograms into bigger sets for less money. Or show them! That would rock!

Well I am somebody who has never seen ANY Chan film (I'm a wee bit younger than you I suppose) and from all the praise I read here and elsewhere on the internet, I would love to watch at least one or two of them before diving into a $45 box set somewhat blindly. With $45 I can get 1 or 2 box sets on salve via Amazon where I know what I am getting.

Oldgangstersnoirnut---love your moniker, by the way! Thanks for the info on Amazon, definitely that is how I could afford two of the Fox sets (bought one Oland and one Toler, natch). Will be getting more, for sure, but it would also be nice to see them show up once in a while. I realize TCM has more difficulty airing the Fox films, but hope they can air some of the Monograms (and very cool that they have a Winters film on the latest set), and perhaps even re-package the films included in the Chanthology so that they can be available in a cheaper and more accessible set. Lots of us love this series.

But having said that, I'd love to see many of these old mystery series out in sets---The Saint, The Crime Doctor, The Falcon, Perry Mason, etc. I know lots of folks would buy them!

> {quote:title=oldgangstersnoirnut wrote:}{quote}

> To Fred C. Dobbs & others, regarding the price of the Charlie Chan 20th Century Fox Boxed Sets:

>

> Amazon.com currently has those boxes, Sets 1-5, each priced at $25 & change! Also, the TCM

> collection is currently $28.49! Hope this helps you!

Thanks for the information!

I think we all should start recording every TCM film that contains scenes that in the future will cause the films to be withdrawn from public showing. I think that loss of the public showings of the great ?Our Gang? and ?Charlie Chan? films, along with ?Song of the South? is just a beginning to a New World Order that will consume our media within the next few decades, and will censor all films that are not approved by ?official? organizations that establish film review committees.

That does not mean I think ?minorities? should be insulted in films, even old ones. It just means that our old classic films are being censored today like never before.