Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
edonline

Emma Thompson: 'Audrey Hepburn couldn't act'

Yes--but James she looks beautiful in those Beaton gowns--you were right about that!

Emma's going to be on The Daily Show tonight, so those of you who now hate her can throw spit balls at her. ;)

What a good idea I can add that to throwing darts at a picture of her face and burning all her films. ;)

Kidding, Kidding (in case anyone takes this seriously). I still enjoy Emma Thompson as an actress/writer. I just don't like her opinion about Audrey Hepburn.

I wonder if the topic might possibly come up? Probably not, but I'd love for Stewart to ask her why she outraged classic film fans with her statements, and give her a chance to defend herself.

Well said! Regarding what you said about Much Ado...now there's a film loaded with talent, it's hard to beat Shakespeare. And about John Wayne, I remember reading somewhere that he was in his late twenties or early thirties when the war started, was married & had 2 kids, which of course made him ineligible to fight. So much sense in what you have posted but I'm wondering who changed the title of this thread & why...

I don't know why I'm jumping into this thread again, I don't have strong feelings about this issue. However, I 'd like to reiterate the point I made much earlier on, one of the few times I posted on this thread:

Emma Thompson is British. While of course they have celebrities in Britain, they do not have the "star" tradition there that is so much a part of the culture in the States. I suspect that Thompson did not grow up with that whole "movie legend" consciousness that is one of the prevailing aspects of living in America. They have a whole different way of thinking about stars over there. They have celebrities galore, they have gossip (the tabloids are worse than the ones on this side of the ocean), but they don't have the kind of reverence for Hollywood legends in England that plays such a strong part in the hearts and minds of the American public .

This is not a judgement on Americans, nor a judgement on Britons or Emma Thompson. It's just a difference. I'm suggesting that Miss Thompson, while of course she knew Hepburn was a huge and beloved star over here, does not really have a strong grasp on the American movie legend tradition that's so important to us (well, to Americans.) So she probably did not truly comprehend how many people she may have been offending with her statement.

If that has been said before by someone else on the thread, I apologize for repeating it.

Also, I just wondered if fxreyman was making a joking reference to Thompson when he said this :

"Personally I think all of this is really as I said earlier, Much Ado About Nothing. Who really cares?"

because of course Thompson was in *Much Ado About Nothing*, the film. She played the leading role of Beatrice.

Maybe BECAUSE the tabloids on Fleet Street have the traditional of being so merciless, which Brits grow up with, those such as Emma Thompson are more likely to have intemperate remarks roll off their toungues. Can you give examples other than Thompson of this behavior?

I wish I could, there probably are other examples, but truth be told, what I was saying is just a theory, based on my perception of the difference between American and British cultures.

I don't know I saw just as much response in UK papers over this issue as in the US. I mean they wrote editorials about it in the Telegraph and Guardian and there were tons of comments for each.

I agree that the UK is not as celebrity crazy as we are in the US but I think that is more about the current crop.

Of course if it wasn't Emma Thompson saying it I don't think there would have been really any coverage in the UK but since Emma Thompson is British and well it seems to me people did care over there as well.

I think the Brits are more interested in their stage actors than movie actors, the West End is alive & kicking.

> {quote:title=clearskies wrote:}{quote}

> I think the Brits are more interested in their stage actors than movie actors, the West End is alive & kicking.

Actually what is great about the UK is a lot of it is interchangeable so your TV and Movie actors also have many chances to act on the stage. It also helps that West End and most TV/film productions are in London.

Where for the US you have most of the film stuff on the West Coast and theater stuff on the East Coast.

Not to mention their TV series are generally much shorter than what we get here so there isn't as long of a commitment as you have in the US. Thus actors over there are able to work in many different capacities.

Nearly the same is true in France. I've seen quite a few Big French Movie Stars in plays all over Paris. Even Gerard Depardieu acts in limited run plays. French actors are so professional and they all have stage training.

You're so right. I remember both John Gielgud & Claude Raines really didn't want to do films, changed their minds when they saw the $$ signs, thank heaven. I'm sure there were many other Brits & Franks as well. Bless the flicks!

Depardieu is one of my all time favorites. I just caught him in "The Closet" from NetFlix & loved it. I would never have known of this tremendous talent if it weren't for movies.

I'd like to say a word about Higgins singing. The reason Lerner and Loewe were the first who could make Pygmalion work as a musical is that they made him, not a non-singing part or anything, but not a typical leading man type of singer. THe speaking on key is practically written into the script, as a suggestion of course, but having done the show with a fantastic singer, it doesn't work when he sings everything full out like the other characters.

But you know they did the same thing with Richard Burton in "Camelot" and Louis Jordan in *Gigi*.

Clear--Depardieu can do anything--He's so famous for his lycrical command of French in something like *Cyrano*-- But if you haven's seen Truffaut's *Last Metro*, catch it. Believe it or not, he makes love to Catherine Deneuve (truly before he gained all that weight).

> {quote:title=cujas wrote:}{quote}

> But you know they did the same thing with Richard Burton in "Camelot" and Louis Jordan in *Gigi*.

Technically, they didn't do the same thing with *Camelot*. If was written, straight, as a singer's role. However, Harrison's speaking on pitch was so popular, that Burton just adopted it. Although, he did far more singing than Rex. As for *Gigi*, L&L were commissioned to write an *MFL*-like score, because of MFL's popularity, and MGM's inability to make that show a motion picture. Still, the songs are mostly written to be sung. That they cast Jordan and had him to the talk thing, was deliberately done to cash-in on *MFL*. So, my point in saying all that, awkwardly, is they did the Higgins thing quite deliberately. I agree that *MFL* suffers with a HIggins who sings full out. The other two shows actually benefit from it.

Yeah, and I don't understand why. Out of all the topics discussed on these forums, it's one of the least interesting to me. I just don't get it.

I know, I know, if I don't like it I don't have to post on it or even read it. I'll get out of here....sorry.

Carry on.

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 20, 2010 8:54 AM