Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Emma Thompson: 'Audrey Hepburn couldn't act'

edonline

> {quote:title=Im4movies2 wrote:}{quote}

> Just look at the current role she has chosen to play. A very ugly and dispicable character in Nanny Mcphee. Horrendous.

Because she is an actress, who does a variety of roles. It appears you don't really know the story of Nanny McPhee.

Well, if you really think Thompson is some sort of a hack then maybe you should do some homework on her. IMHO I think she is one of the finest actresses of all time. Her range is quite extraordinary considering she started out in comedy with the Cambridge Footlights, then went on to have a somewhat mixed television period of performances, but then started to show great success in the movies.

This is what I wrote earlier in this thread:

On Aug 9, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Audrey Hepburn will always hold a special place in my heart as well as millions of other fans worldwide. I think what Thompson was saying was basically what she did not like about Hepburn's performance in MFL.

Thompson IS an acting and screenwriting force now and for years to come.

Thompson will probably also be nominated for additional Oscars before her career is over.

Hepburn appeared in 28 films. Thompson has appeared in 32 films as of now, with another 4 on the way.

Thompson has also appeared in over 15 television programs including the British mini series Fortunes of War.

Hepburn was nominated for an Oscar 5 times, winning once for Best Actress in Roman Holiday. She received a posthumous Oscar in 1993 for her humanitarian work.

She also won an American Emmy in 1993.

Thompson has been nominated 5 times also. She won a Best Actress award for Howards End, then won a Best Screenplay Oscar for Sense and Sensibility.

She is the only actor in the history of the Oscars to have won a Best Actress award and a Best Screenplay award.

She too has won an American Emmy.

And if you look at the quality of Hepburn's films, I can honestly say IMHO that she appeared in about 10 really good films during her career:

Roman Holiday 1953

Sabrina 1954

Funny Face 1957

The Nun's Story 1960

Breakfast at Tiffany's 1961

The Children's Hour 1961

Charade 1963

Two for the Road 1967

Wait Until Dark 1967

Robin and Marion 1976

Thompson on the other hand IMHO has appeared in about 16 really good films so far into her career:

Henry V 1989

Dead Again 1991

Howards End 1992

Much Ado About Nothing 1993

The Remains of the Day 1993

In the Name of the Father 1993

Carrington 1995

Sense and Sensibility 1995

The Winter Guest 1997

Primary Colors 1998

Love Actually 2003

Nanny McPhee 2005

Stranger Than Fiction 2006

Brideshead Revisited 2008

Last Chance Harvey 2008

An Education 2009

So before anyone starts calling Thompson out as being some hack or some minor actress, one might want to look at her track record so far.

I have also liked Emma and felt she was one of the handful of current stars, along with her x-husband, that were a high quality act. Dead Again is what made me a major fan of both of them since it was intelligent and reminded me of a classic movie (i.e. a movie from the 30s - 50s).

Audrey is one of my top 10 favorite classic movie actresses (if she only did Roman Holiday, Sabrina and Breakfast she would still be in my top 10), but MFL while still a very good picture isn't one of my favorite Audrey movies.

Like you I also wish to believe that Emma was commenting on Audrey only as it relates to MFL. Of course you aren't saying one is better than the other but only that both are high quality acts from different eras.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Like you I also wish to believe that Emma was commenting on Audrey only as it relates to MFL. Of course you aren't saying one is better than the other but only that both are high quality acts from different eras.

James, Emma was asked to clarify her statement and she made it very clear that she wasn't talking about Audrey just in MFL but in general. She said she was probably a wonderful person but she didn't care for her as an actress and she thought her appeal was only in her looks.

Of course this says nothing about Emma herself as an actress. But she was definitely not just talking about Audrey in My Fair Lady.

• 2 weeks later...

In the beating a dead horse department, I recently read in Michael Powell's memoirs, that he wanted Julie Andrews for the role of Vivian in his film *Peeping Tom*. He decided that she was *too famous* and the role went to Moira Shearer. This, four years before the film version of *MFL*, where she wasn't "famous enough".

> johnm_001 . . .

I also know of this story that for the most part, means what you have always said about Julie's known status to the general public. But, as you have said, about not wanting to beat a dead horse, I now repeat, what I've said to you time and time again: Had Cary agreed to be in the role of "Higgins," Julie would have been in . . . Trust me on this one! Jack would have had to bend down and bow to Cary's superstar wishes.

Julie Andrews was the "Judy Garland" of England. She had been the little singing "Blitz" girl and a star in the Westend before "My Fair Lady". She had also starred in MFL in the Westend. Since Powell was making an English movie--well, Julie was already "something" for quite awhile in England.

Edited by: cujas on Aug 30, 2010 6:19 PM

> {quote:title=cujas wrote:}{quote}

> Julie Andrews was the "Judy Garland" of England. She had been the little singing "Blitz" girl and a star in the Westend before "My Fair Lady". She had also starred in MFL in the Westend. Since Powell was making an English movie--well, Julie was already "something" for quite awhile in England.

>

> Edited by: cujas on Aug 30, 2010 6:19 PM

Yes, I know. And, she was even a bigger "something" in the United States, having starred in enormous television specials and guest-starring appearances on variety shows, being seen by more people in one evening, than who saw his film, since its release. Making Jack Warner's claim of her not being known, ridiculous. Which was my point.

Archived