Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kinokima

Banning of Films

You did not receive a reply from me because I don't trust you. And I do not have to acquiesce to your request if I choose not to do so. For you to infer anything else means that you are once again baiting and trying to stir up trouble. I would ask that you stop it. Somehow this thread did not get locked, and I would like to think there can still be civil, thoughtful discussion here. But there won't be if you keep throwing fuel on the fire.

I was fine with your post all the way till the final paragraph. I feel the last paragraph was unnecessary. You do not need to scold or browbeat a fellow poster that way. If you want there to be civil discussions related to the topic, then you need to stop dictating terms yourself.

Now, as for the first part of your post...I am glad that you see how I am trying to get people to think. There definitely are no absolutes when it comes to freedoms in the United States. In many ways, it is not a free country. And the sooner people see that and see how it is reflected on film, the better IMO.

I am not dictating terms or trying to bowbeat you, I don't have the slightest idea why you think that. Maybe some other poster here can be more fluent then I am, I'm trying my best. Does anyone here knows what I'm getting at. I'm at a lost.

Reread that post to me. You will see that if you had deleted the last paragraph, it would've been completely fine. But you felt the need to get personal at the end and try to tell me what to do. That was unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.

I believe I fully understand what you are getting at. I'm at a lost also.

This thread is on banning of films and all I'm asking is that those that support the banning of films explain how such a ban would be implemented. To me this is staying on topic and not game playing.

I think I am going to exit this thread, because I cannot see any new ground being covered in it. Maybe I'll come back and post a few more times later if it takes on a new life...but I'm kind of done with it.

I do know which films I have banned in my own home, and that is what counts. There are also films I have destroyed and thrown into the fire.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

> I think I am going to exit this thread, because I cannot see any new ground being covered in it. Maybe I'll come back and post a few more times later if it takes on a new life...but I'm kind of done with it.

>

> *I do know which films I have banned in my own home, and that is what counts. There are also films I have destroyed and thrown into the fire.*

Which films are these? I am curious.

I know a person (white by the way) that "bans" all films where the black house servants sound uneducated and it appears to be an intelligent black actor over-acting to accomplish this, or one with dark skin making themselves appear to be wide-eyed and almost in a trance when speaking in their "yessums" etc. This person has banned GONE WITH THE WIND, and most recently, LOVE IS NEWS a small gem of a Fox film with Ty Power, Don Ameche & Loretta Young. There is a bit uncredited role of a black valet and they are completely disgusted and insulted by the way he delivers his lines.

> {quote:title=C.Bogle wrote:}{quote}

> Sometimes things get a little contentious. Bill Holden, is he better with a shaved or

> hairy chest?

I think we should meet Mr. Holden halfway. How about a compromise solution: William Holden in an undershirt.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> I believe I fully understand what you are getting at. I'm at a lost also.

>

> This thread is on banning of films and all I'm asking is that those that support the banning of films explain how such a ban would be implemented. To me this is staying on topic and not game playing.

There is no sense to be made from someone who, obviously, suffers from paranoia. They told multiple members of these boards to refrain from addressing posts, directly to them, as if they actually have some control over who posts where. Plus, this is a person who's not only in favor of burning films, but has actually burned their own copy of some films. As if, that action does anything but support the fact that they suffer from paranoia. It's a shame, and they really should seek help for it, but in the meantime, trying to have any sort of logical or reasonable discussion with them, is pointless.

No, I think I'll pass. Not in the mood to share those thoughts with disrespectful posters who will attempt to trash what I write anyways. As I said, we're done with this.

With regards to the point about 'paranoria' often I see this trait as a key reason people or groups wish to ban or censor specific material or actions. i.e. people are paranoid about the 'what if'.

In fact paranoria is key to the Fed court ruling on same-sex-marriage (prop 8) here in CA. The judge decided that just because people groups felt negative things might happen in society if same-sex-marriage was legal, these people groups didn't have any solid evidence to indicate their fears (paranoria), were justified and likly to occur.

Relating this back to banning movies, if one could show that the showing of a specific movie would lead to some actual specific negative event (e.g. a riot, the burning down of a building, a terrorist attack, the killing of individuals), than one might have the necessary justification to support a ban. So far I have yet to see anyone make this type of case in a court of law.

I should like to add that what people decide to do on their own is their own business. People can "ban" any film they want from their own home. This is of course not the same as telling other people they cannot watch it.

For example Mein Kampf (okay that's a book not a film) is not something I would ever keep in my own home. But I am not about to tell other people they cannot read it. I also understand the historical significance of this book even though some of the things in the book might personally offend me.

For a second there, I thought you were going to say that one half should be

shaved and other left hairy. Of course a tee shirt would end the problem, but

in a movie like Picnic you've got to go shirtless. I'm sure many women and

a few men got a thrill out of seeing Bill halfway in the all together.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

> No Jonas. I have already indicated that I would not fall into that trap and I won't. You can keep arguing with me about it, but the answer is no. I won't do that.

You are the only one here arguing for the burning or banning of films. You are no longer willing to state your position, or explain or elaborate on it. You accuse those who argue against your position of "intolerance," when what they are arguing against your intolerance of certain films, which you won't specify. This makes any rational debate on the issue impossible. I see no point in continuing.