Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ClassicViewer

Which stars from the past would make it/fail today?

> {quote:title=fabr0014 wrote:}{quote}

> This is actually a very interesting question!

>

> Two of my all-time favorites are Greta Garbo and Myrna Loy. I am not sure that either one of them could make it in films today. Maybe Myrna could if she could shake the perfect wife image. But I am not to sure if Garbo could. Especially with how invasive media is today and how much of a private person she was.

>

> My two favorite leading men are Clark Gable and Cary Grant. I think that Grant could make it today because he was able to play a wide variety of roles. However, Gable never seemed comfortable playing anything besides a macho role. Today, stars have to be versatile to stay on top. I really do not know if he could make it today. That is a tough one to figure out!

Interesting views! I agree about Myrna Loy. Give her a role similar to Deborah Kerr's in *From Here to Eternity* (that's what helped me erase my goody image of her) and Myrna's believable....maybe Myrna in the Glenn Close role in *Fatal Attraction* ? Oh my!

Honestly, I can't see Gable making it in Hollywood of today. From what I have read, he was a homophobe and not very quiet about it....that doesn't really fly in Hollywood in 2010.

First, I don't know why my other post was posted twice. Musta done somethin' wrong! A quick comment on Clive Owen doing the same kind of mysteries as William Powell. He could do it but don't you think it would be darker and more brooding, than William Powell. I can't see Clive Owen being as witty and urbane as Powell can be, but I can see Clive Owen as Philo Vance, if not Nick Charles. I think the film would be more serious, darker. Same with Daniel Day Lewis, although I can't see him at all being a good Nick Charles. But, everyone to his/her own opinion.

Did you ever see *Eversmile New Jersey* with Daniel day Lewis? he is quite good at light comedy, with a satiric edge. Clive Owen does tend to play darker parts, but I think he could well be very versatile, given the chance. He certainly wouldn't have any trouble handling the "urbane" part. "Witty" begins with the script. Could he deliver it right? I think he could.

I think that Will Rogers could do quite well today. I don't say that because of the sort of films he made back when. I think so because he was a political satirist at heart. There is plenty to satirize now, and he would be a LOT freer to do it, in film.

> {quote:title=kybabe3 wrote:}{quote}

> IF they were to make the Thin Man today, or Philo Vance Mysteries who in today's gaggle of actors could play either character with the wit and sophistication as our boy Bill. The only person I could think of was George Clooney. Can you think of anyone?

I believe Hugh Laurie would be ideal. He has shown great range in being both intelligent and gruff Dr. House in House and affable twit Bertie Wooster in Jeeves and Wooster

His performance as Bertie makes me think he could play charming sophisticate for same reason a skater who always looks like they are about to fall must be excellent skater - you can not look that bad unless you are actually great.

I think many stars from the 1930s could have succeeded today, but in TV rather than film (because most movies today are driven by action, special effects or marketing tie-ins rather than story). Which, in a way, would be rather unfortunate, because it would leave someone such as Carole Lombard or Claudette Colbert playing the same character in a sitcom for several years, rather than portraying a variety of roles and personas.

This is such a good topic. I believe Joan Crawford would have made it as a star today because she was so driven she would done anything to be a star. Nude scenes? No problem. Buffing up to be a butt-kicking comic book heroine? Sure thing. She would have figured out what her fans wanted her to be, and she would have done it.

Van Johnson and June Allyson would work steadily, mostly in TV, but wouldn't be big movie stars. Where would talents like Fred Astaire, Judy Garland and Kathryn Grayson fit into today's market?

Clark Gable would play the Tom Cruise action/adventure roles, and Carole Lombard would play the Cameron Diaz/Reese Witherspoon roles. The suave gentlemen like Ronald Colman and David Niven would have career problems. Herbert Marshall would play weaklings and villains, the Alan Rickman career path. Jennifer Jones might actually fit in some Julia Roberts parts, not including Erin Brockovich--a role Ginger Rogers would go after. Ginger would probably do sitcoms.

I don't think the problem John Wayne would have today isn't that he is too conservative (there are conservative actors in Hollywood, and one of them is the governor of California). I think the problem he would have today is that there aren't enough directors like Ford or Hawks who would use him to make their myths.

> {quote:title=ClassicViewer wrote:}{quote}

> I think Pierce Brosnan could do mystery comedies, like the type Powell did. I think Brosnan could also do roles that Basil Rathbone did, like Sherlock Holmes for instance.

>

> In fact, if we were to reverse the question and ask which stars from today would've made it in the past, I would put Pierce Brosnan at the top of the list. I think his style would've worked very well in the 30s and 40s.

Pierce Brosnan did do mystery comedy in Remington Steele back in the 80's. He and Stephanie Zimbalist had the same sort of witty chemistry that Powell and Loy did. I always liked that show.

To me most the actors and actresses of today couldnt hold a candle to those in the past. There are exception of course but most of them are older now like Deniro, Nicholson, Beatty, etc. Johnny Deep, Barry Pepper, the glynenhall's, they stand out above the rest. Most of them are nothing but eye candy that can read lines off a TelePrompter.

John Wayne has way more integrity than 90 percent of the actors today. So what he was a "conservative". Why because he didnt advocate drug use or because he made war pictures and didnt speak out against Vietnam? There is nothing wrong with conservatives, a real conservative is RARE these days. Most politicians, be it liberal or conservative are serving one thing and one thing only and that is the NEW WORLD ORDER. You cannot tell the difference between the two these days, just look at Obama. He has done the same stuff as Bush, lies like Bush, is a war **** like Bush. To any who say that Obama ended the war in Iraq are just FOOLS. Bush did the same thing with his "mission acomplished garbage a few weeks into the Iraq war."

I dont mean to turn this into a political discussion but the two party paradigm is all an illusion and we need to stop buying into it. No matter who you vote for, the govt gets in.

i think that Garbo and Myrna were too much of grand ladies to stoop to all the nonsense of today, they were made for great acting as was Davis, Hepburn and Crawford, they probably would have been stars, but on a more subdued level, they were too above the mentality of today's movies and movie-goers who prefer animation and computer generated nonsense than pure great acting, also Gable would have appealed in some films, but he too was above all the junk of today, Tracy would have not even been understood, look at Bogart he would have been relegated to some character acting, but at least people who love TCM as I do, would always love and appreciate these people, my list is endless and I cannot list them all, that is how I feel!

I'm glad the old classic movies stars were in the time period they were in. I don't want them apprearing in today's thinly plotted dudes. Our icons in R rated films with nudity and rough language? Not me. Shirley Temple in "Little Miss Sunshine", the horror.

John Gilbert in a violent war movie with gore? I'll settle for "The Big Parade".

Basicly it comes down to the quality of the film, regardless how great a former star would look in a movie, will depend if a movie succeeds or fails. The Three Stooges slapstick doesn't work in modern films. Joan Crawford in a movie actually beating a child? Nope! ("Child of Rage the Beginning"???)

John Wayne would have been great in "Saving Private Ryan" though.

I got to thinking about the recent movie now playing "They Were Expendable" (2010). Is Hollywood sending us a message? (about being expendable).

AnitaG wrote:

<< would actually pay to see Rosie O'Donnell and John Goodman in Tug Boat Annie >>.

Could work but having Rosie O'Donnell as captain could have the poor tugboat shooting itself in the smoke stack like in the South Park's "The Russell Crowe Show". ROFL!!

Russell%20Crowe%20South%20Park.jpg

I would say that David Niven would be in real trouble today: there's just no market for dignified English gentleman. The Empire has been gone for half a century now. And there doesn't seem to be much of a market for French singers like Maurice Chevalier. As for George Sanders, I supsect his malice is too subtle for today's Hollywood.