Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

madam curie and the oscars

lupinofan

>lupinofan you asked:

> why was this movie eligible for the 1943 oscars when it was released in 1944? was there a delay in the release of this like the one with olivia dehavilland and ida lupino with "devotion"?

Here's how it worked: The film actually had its world premiere at the end of 1943, around early December. However, it didn't go into full general release until February of 1944. Therefore, the issue of the Oscar nominations are based on the film's first release date.

*Here's how it worked: The film actually had its world premiere at the end of 1943, around early December. However, it didn't go into full general release until February of 1944. Therefore, the issue of the Oscar nominations are based on the film's first release date.*

How it works (worked?) is, the film had to have a commercial release for a minimum of one week in both Los Angeles and New York to qualify for that year's oscar competition. So there are movies released on Christmas Day each year to be in the running.

I love this film. I am fascinated by both the science and the love story. When they went back to the lab at night and saw the radium glowing, I got cold chills. I love that scene! It was done so well, first showing the radium dish as being very small and a long way away, but glowing. Ahh, if life were so simple like that for the rest of us. After 67 years of searching, I haven?t discovered nuthin?.