Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just saw info on MoMA website on retrospective of Ida Lupino films. Would be great to see that, but since I won't be in NYC, it wouldn be fine if TCM did one, or maybe had an Ida day. What think ye?

Ida Lupino was not only a very good actress, but as those who post on these threads know, she was also a director, one of the few female film directors from the classic era. I would like to see more of the movies she directed, the only one I've seen is *Hitch Hiker*.

This actress was not only "of a delicate beauty", as someone in that Word of Mouth short about her says, but she was very smart. This, I think, comes across in her performances.

I like the way she could do "hard-bitten" ( *They Drive by Night* ) but also vulnerable ( *The Sea Wolf* ) and often both, at the same time ( *The Hard Way* and *Roadhouse* .)

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 30, 2010 6:51 PM

"The Light that Failed" put her on the map. She was great in "They Drive by Night" { but I really hated the murder and trail, it ruined the film, turned it into a remake of "BorderTown" a Bette Davis film} But she always delivered. She dubbed herdelf as the "Poor Man's Bette Davis", getting roles that Davis turned down. She won the N.Y. Film Critics Film Award for Best Actress for "The Hard Way" She turned to directing and became the first woman to direct a film noir "The Hitch Hiker"

She said of herself "If I'm the Poor Man's Bette Davis as an actress, Then I'm the poor man's Don Seigel as an director". Moved into TV directing and became one of the original members of "Four Star" productions

Of course while Bette was at Warner's all other actresses got the left overs (well until Joan showed up and by then Bette was ready to leave), and I believe this had a big impact on Lupino's career. Warner's was more of a male studio than say MGM with big male stars in Cagney and Bogie and then there was Bette.

I love Lupino but sadly her film legacy is limited when compared to others I would say had less talent.