Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Got any ZaSu Pitts pictures?

According to wiki:

The names of her mother's sisters Eliza and Susan became the basis for ZaSu's unique first name

Notice that there's a capital S in it (which has been spelled correctly in the subject line of this thread). However, as per wiki, it was sometimes incorrectly written with a lower case 's' in some of her film credits.

> {quote:title=thistledown wrote:}{quote}

> It was pronounced Zay-Soo according to an old friend who worked

> with her once...

> {quote:title=thistledown wrote:}{quote}

> It was pronounced Zay-Soo according to an old friend who worked

> with her once...

Yes, that's how Thelma Todd pronounces it in their shorts.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> W.C. Fields to Gloria Jean in NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK:

> "You don't want to grow up and be dumb like ZaSu Pitts, do you?"

>

Monty Woolley's character made a crack about ZaSu in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, too.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=thistledown wrote:}{quote}

> > It was pronounced Zay-Soo according to an old friend who worked

> > with her once...

> > {quote:title=thistledown wrote:}{quote}

> > It was pronounced Zay-Soo according to an old friend who worked

> > with her once...

> Yes, that's how Thelma Todd pronounces it in their shorts.

>

Here's Thelma telling us how to say it:

> {quote:title=clearskies wrote:}{quote}

> Is her first name pronounced Zasu, with a hard "a" or Zasu, as in "ah?" I've heard it said both ways by people who have worked with her.

Thelma Todd pronounces Zazu?s name:

I always thought my grandmother looked like Zasu Pitts. When I told my mother that, she told me not to tell my grandmother, that she would be insulted! I guess that was because Zasu played characters that were, well, a bit pixilated, to use a term from a film.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> I always thought my grandmother looked like Zasu Pitts. When I told my mother that, she told me not to tell my grandmother, that she would be insulted! I guess that was because Zasu played characters that were, well, a bit pixilated, to use a term from a film.

It would of been a compliment! She was incredibly over looked and talented!

The term pixilated came from one of my favorite movies "It All Came True" I am pretty sure it did.

> {quote:title=kimpunkrock wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > I always thought my grandmother looked like Zasu Pitts. When I told my mother that, she told me not to tell my grandmother, that she would be insulted! I guess that was because Zasu played characters that were, well, a bit pixilated, to use a term from a film.

>

> It would have been a compliment! She was incredibly over looked and talented!

>

> The term pixilated came from one of my favorite movies "It All Came True" I am pretty sure it did.

>

The term "pixilated" as applied to two eccentric sisters in a movie was actually used first in MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936). The term and the two actresses to whom the description was applied in that movie caught on so quickly that later that same year (1936) in the Paramount comedy LET'S MAKE A MILLION the ladies (Margaret Seddon and Margaret McWade) were introduced in the credits as "The Pixilated Sisters" and naturally, played the same type of characters as in MR. DEEDS. And they went on to play similar eccentric sisters in a few later movies. I've read somewhere that Seddon and McWade had actually created the characters much earlier and had played them in Vaudeville.

And I agree with you completely about ZaSu being overlooked (as an accomplished dramatic actress) and being talented. While it may have been good for a quick laugh in the movies where Fields and Woolley joked about her, it's kind of a shame that it was being implied that she was dumb.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=kimpunkrock wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

> > > I always thought my grandmother looked like Zasu Pitts. When I told my mother that, she told me not to tell my grandmother, that she would be insulted! I guess that was because Zasu played characters that were, well, a bit pixilated, to use a term from a film.

> >

> > It would have been a compliment! She was incredibly over looked and talented!

> >

> > The term pixilated came from one of my favorite movies "It All Came True" I am pretty sure it did.

> >

> The term "pixilated" as applied to two eccentric sisters in a movie was actually used first in MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936). The term and the two actresses to whom the description was applied in that movie caught on so quickly that later that same year (1936) in the Paramount comedy LET'S MAKE A MILLION the ladies (Margaret Seddon and Margaret McWade) were introduced in the credits as "The Pixilated Sisters" and naturally, played the same type of characters as in MR. DEEDS. And they went on to play similar eccentric sisters in a few later movies. I've read somewhere that Seddon and McWade had actually created the characters much earlier and had played them in Vaudeville.

>

> And I agree with you completely about ZaSu being overlooked (as an accomplished dramatic actress) and being talented. While it may have been good for a quick laugh in the movies where Fields and Woolley joked about her, it's kind of a shame that it was being implied that she was dumb.

Dude, IT ALL CAME TRUE was the movie where ZASU used that term. we are talking about ZASU and pixilated not when that term was used first.

> {quote:title=kimpunkrock wrote:}{quote}

> It would of been a compliment! She was incredibly over looked and talented!

>

> The term pixilated came from one of my favorite movies "It All Came True" I am pretty sure it did.

I agree, to say my granny looked like Zasu should be taken as a compliment. I liked Zasu even when I was a little kid, and still like her.

I'll bow to your knowledge of *It All Came True*, but musicalnovelty correctly named the film, and sisters, I was thinking of. I would point out that in *Mr. Deeds Goes To Town*, it is the sisters who use the term "pixilated," and apply it to well, most everyone but themselves it seems. I don't believe they were directly called "pixilated" in the film itself, but the clear implication, in court, is that they are the ones who are "pixilated."