Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Fan's 10 Top Directors

I no particular order except Andrei Tarkovsky is number one.

Andrei Tarkovsky - Nostalghia, Andrei Rublev

Stanley Kubrick - Dr Strangelove, 2001

Krzysztof Kieslowski - Blue, White, Red, The Double Life of Veronique

Satyajit Ray - Pather Panchali

Michael Curtiz - Casablanca

Steven Spielberg - Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws

Martin Scorsese - The Last Temptation Of Christ, Goodfellas

Oliver Stone - JFK, Nixon

Billy Wilder 1-2-3

Woody Allen Annie Hall, The Purple Rose Of Cairo

Since it is Clint Eastwood day, what do you all think of Clint as a director? The older he gets, the more he ups his game. I really liked *Million Dollar Baby*, *Mystic River*, *Gran Torino*, and can't forget about *Unforgiven*. I just wondered what anyone else thinks of Clint as a director.

I respect Clint Eastwood as an actor and director. Unforgiven (1992) is a great movie. But his film True Crime (1999) is so bad it's hard to believe he was involved with it. It is easily one of the worst films I have ever seen that was made by a major film director.

Steveyz, I'm also a big fan of Mystic River, which is even better than the book. In fact, I like the less showy performances of Laura Linney, Kevin Bacon, and Laurence Fishburne even better than the three Oscar winners, who certainly have their moments as well. Perhaps because I hadn't read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before seeing the movie, I liked the film very much, and prefer Kevin Spacey's work here to his Oscar-winning performance in American Beauty.

To me, Eastwood carries forward some of the virtues of golden age filmmaking. He didn't come out of film school eager to show off all he'd learned. His training was much more practical. He usually prefers good storytelling to directorial fireworks and has a clear sense of how to connect with his audience. Though he's not one of my favorite directors, I've enjoyed film entertainments of his as different as Space Cowboys and (yes, I'll admit liking it) The Bridges of Madison County, and I certainly respect his accomplishments.

1. William Wyler ~ {Mrs. Miniver, Funny Girl}

2. Vincente Minelli ~ {Meet Me in St. Louis, An American in Paris}

3. Alfred Hitchcock ~ {The Birds, Marnie}

4. John Ford ~ {Donovan?s Reef, Rio Grande}

5. Robert Wise ~ {The Sound of Music, West Side Story}

6. Frank Capra ~ {Meet John Doe, Arsenic and Old Lace}

7. Barbra Streisand ~ (just felt like throwing her in because i just had to. Heehee) {Yentl, Mirror Has Two Faces}

8. Busby Berkeley ~ {For Me and My Gal, Stage Struck}

9. Melvyn LeRoy ~ {Random Harvest, Million Dollar Mermaid}

10. Roy Rowland ~ {Two Weeks with Love, Many Rivers to Cross}