Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE WOR CH9 NEW YORK And the LATE LATE SHOW

At the kind and insightful suggestion of another member (Izcutter), I am creating this post for those members who might remember either Million Dollar Movie or the Late Show. As a small child I was enamored of Million Dollar Movie and watched many classics over and over while they were shown all day and multiple days of the week. The two shows introduced me to King Kong, The Informer, Allegheny Uprising, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Mighty Joe Young, Casablanca and others. My father used to let me stay up with him and watch all the Late Shows til sunrise.

I was fortunate to grow up in NJ with a TV antenna that connected to the New York tv broadcast networks. The New York market had ABC, CBS, NBC channel 5, 9, 11 and 13 (before it went to PBS). TV was on all night.

Does anyone else have fond memories of these networks shows? Love to hear about your memories.

Back in the mid 1980's I got for only a year the WOR TV station. My cable provider was trying out what worked the best in my area. Anyway, who was the very friendly meteorologist who had a great sense of humor back then. He would call out cities like *Hellooo Richmond* or he use the word homumidity instead of humidity. I tried Google but couldn't find anything.

Even though I live in West Virginia, I get the NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox New York channels on Directv. Far better then my local stations. Get Los Angeles (west programming) as well.

Welcome to the Boards. :)

I can remember back to when there was just one Late Show. They actually signed off the air after it until the morning hours - I think that "The Modern Farmer" was the program that started the day on WCBS. Through the years they added "The Late, Late Show" and then even more until they were on all night.

For a few years, I even programmed the films but by this time the late night time period during the week had been taken over by the network - The Late Show was actually local in origination. Weekends were the only local slots to be programmed in late night. By the time that I got to WCBS (1988-91), the bulk of the classic library was long gone and they relied on reruns of made-for-TV movies.

Yep....grew up in Brooklyn, & got into SO MUCH GREAT STUFF on Channel 9's Million Dollar Movie! Used to watch some of those movies 12-15 times per week, as they ran the same film 3X per night, Monday through Friday. Other favorites from that series, along w/those you mentioned, were Hold That Ghost, Keep 'Em Flying, House On Haunted Hill, & The Jolson Story. By the end of the week, my brother & I had these scripts fully memorized! What FUN times!!!

Edited by: oldgangstersnoirnut on Aug 23, 2010 1:06 AM

I lived in Rego Park and Elmhurst, Queens from 1950 until I moved to Ca. in 1967. I fondly remember the Early Show and the Late Show and the Late Late Show on WCBS with the wonderful synchopated clock. Million Dollar was on at 8pm and again at 11pm Monday through Friday. My first job in TV was at WOR, the master control, where they ran all the tape and films, was located in the Empire State Building.I sat in the control room running audio and switching {inserting the commericals in the movies } and when the Mets were home they carried all the home games and I was at Shea Stadium running camera behind home plate.M$M had movie clap boards with the stars of the movie that week on the clap boards.I remember seeing "Yankee Doodle Dandy" for the first time on M$M. I never knew Cagney could sing and dance. I saw "Gunga Din" also for the first time on it. The Early Show on CBS ran from 6:15 pm to 7:00pm, 45 minutes for a movie. Most of the time they started it in the middle to get it in the 45 minute time slot.....But wonderful memories

Edited by: fredbaetz on Aug 23, 2010 2:28 AM

I grew up in Jackson Heights, Queens during the 1950s, right next door, so to speak to fredbaetz. I remember The MillionDollar Movie fondly. Perhaps because we had so few channels. Do you remember "Centennial Summer", and "The Dark Mirror"? Two movies that haven't been shown much anymore. I remember the movies shown at least twice a day on weekdays and more on the weekends.

We had family friends who lived in South Ozone Park. It's the 60's. We lived in public housing but they owned a gigantic house. Bedrooms were upstairs. We kids used to run up and down the stairs for no reason. I've seen the house about ten years ago. How a family of five kids and a Mother & Father fit into that teensy house, I'll never know. Funny, I don't remember it as small.

They were supposed to visit us one Saturday but their car was broken and the kids couldn't come. The only thing that assuaged my disappointment was the Million Dollar Movie showing of "Holiday."

< Sigh! >

O yes I remember it well, my mom loved movies and we would watch them together. What a treat, I remember her insisting I stay up and watch Wuthering Heights and its one of my favorite movies of all times. Thanks for the memories...

cat

Before there was AMC or TCM there was Million Dollar Movie. For one whole week one was able to watch a movie classic over and over. The best movies I remember were all the Astaire and Rogers musicals, King Kong, A Song to Remember, and The Boy With Green Hair. I became a classic movie maven from a very young age watching the films shown on this program. Many of us did and I am sure Bob Osborne may have too.

>>I grew up in Jackson Heights, Queens during the 1950s

Hey former neighbor, that's where I live now. Right around the corner from the White Castle.

My big Million Dollar Movie memory is of one Friday night when my mother told my sister and I to ignore Claude Kirshner's instructions. In those days, CK was host ot Terrytoon Circus on WOR and at the end of each show he would say "And now it's time for most of you to go to bed."

Well, Mom suggested that we give the show coming up a try, it was a film that she saw in a nearby theater when she was a young girl. It was KING KONG and my sister and I must have watched it four more times that weekend.

Another memory was my watching YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and then falling down the stairs trying to imitate Cagney dancing down the White House steps. In those days, Million Dollar Movie was a 90 minute slot and the film made little sense to a six or seven year old. It was hacked to pieces and seemed to be about a jockey who goes on to sing before the troops, writes a song called "Mary" and sees his father die and then he retires. He falls out of a hammock into a new show and meets the President and then dances down the stairs. Having cut most of the exposition, all that was left was a string of musical numbers.

I didn't see the film complete until it aired on The Late Show on July 4, 1964.

In the Detroit area where I grew up we had a plethora of local movie shows. Channel 7 ABC had the 4:00 Movie, (films chopped to order or shown in 2 or 3 days.) Channel 50, a Kaiser UHF station had Bill Kennedy in the afternoon and another movie at one am. I remember sneaking into a guest room to watch The Three Stooges Meet Hercules late one friday night. Channel 62, the first black owned tv station in the country, had bizarre unedited foreign films. One by one they all went away.

Up to about a year and a half ago Channel 7 showed an offbeat film late Saturday night around 3am, (After Alice, Dummy, Octane, The Price Of Kissing.) They Even Showed Stalag 17. That's gone too. Luckly if you live in Canada or Get the CBC they still show a late night film.

Growing up in Pennsylvania, didn't haver access to WOR until the early 1980s. The M$M was gone by then, so far as I know, but I was still able to appreciate their truly peculiar habit of showing KING KONG, SON OF KONG and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG on Thanksgiving Day every year.

Whatever was the rationale behind that tradition, I wonder?

>>Whatever was the rationale behind that tradition, I wonder?

They discovered from previous airings of those films in a group on weekends that they were getting a lot of kids watching. Those films were playing opposite sports just as they would be on Thanksgiving.

With that kind of audience, WOR had something to offer the advertisers who were launching the Christmas campaigns, the toy makers and the stores. Unlike WNEW and WPIX, WOR wasn't in the afternoon animation business, so this and the Godzilla films on the day after Thanksgiving gave them one of their few opportunities to generate that kind of revenue.

Although he wasn't part of the Late Show or M$M, a special nod to the Cool Ghoul ,Zacherley, a staple of late night Horror fest on WABC. He was one of the great late movie host. With his intros to the great Horror films and his inserts into the film.I never missed him. He really was the Ghoul Master of the Horror films in New York in the late 1950's...The first and without a doubt the best....But I digress and I apologize...

Edited by: fredbaetz on Aug 23, 2010 7:10 PM

> {quote:title=fredbaetz wrote:}{quote}

> Although he wasn't part of the Late Show or M$M, a special nod to the Cool Ghoul ,Zacherley, a staple of late night Horror fest on WABC. He was one of the great late movie host. With his intros to the great Horror films and his inserts into the film.I never missed him. He really was the Ghoul Master of the Horror films in New York in the late 1950's...The first and without a doubt the best....But I digress and I apologize...

>

> Edited by: fredbaetz on Aug 23, 2010 7:10 PM

Interesting. I had thought that Ernie Anderson, aka Ghoulardi, who began in Cleveland in 1963 was the first of the 'ghoul' horror film hosts. But, obviously not. Ron Sweed, once an assistant to Ghoulardi, revived the character in 1970. He was called The Ghoul. He was syndicated by Kaiser Broadcasting, and a big hit in Detroit, well known for his crazy skits, such as blowing up model cars with firecrackers, and saying "Take that, Detroit!" He also put his toy frog buddy Froggy in a blender regularly, and did strange things with cheese whiz. Detroit also had Sir Graves Ghastly, but I wasn't really a fan of his.

I grew up in NY and remember the Million Dollar Movie well. hawaiiansurf, maybe you or another poster can confirm...I have a vague memory that the Million Dollar Movie theme was also the theme used in *Gone With the Wind*. Is this true?

Zacherley started in Philadelphia in 1957 as Roland and became an overnight sensation.His st some kind of crypt with his son Gasport { a burlap bag } emitting strange sounds and his wife {never seen} but living in a coffin and referred to as "My Dear". The station had an open house for his fans and expected around 1300 to show, approxmately 14,000 showed up, causing massive traffic jams. . Zacherley as he was now known hit WABC in 1958. Airing at 11:15 after the local news { yes, a 15 minute newscast} His set was a cross of a lab and a crypt. His son Gasport and wife , now Isobel or My Dear as well as Igor, another bag.. He introed the movies and did "Break-Ins", inserting himself in the film ata special moment. Movie: Frankenstein monster running down street from villagers--Cut to Zach sitting on curb "Go down the alley, they'll never look for you there" Cut to movie with villagers running..Cut to Zach "He went down the alley" -Back to movie with them running down alley.I remember one show where his son Gasport was sick and Zach fixed a pill, looked like an old fashion bomb ,round, black and had a fuse. Well he lights the fuse throws it in bag and about 5 seconds later a poof and smoke starts coming out of bag, he's yelling ay camers to "Go back to film" and stage hands are on set with fire extingushers The next day athe Daily News had an story=Stage hands on ABC refuse to work on Zacherley show if he starts any more fires... He was great ..He went to Wor in 1959... One of a kind...I'm sure someone will piut up a picture of him...

Edited by: fredbaetz on Aug 23, 2010 9:22 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Aug 23, 2010 9:23 PM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Aug 23, 2010 9:25 PM

> {quote:title=rayallen wrote:}{quote}

> I grew up in NY and remember the Million Dollar Movie well. hawaiiansurf, maybe you or another poster can confirm...I have a vague memory that the Million Dollar Movie theme was also the theme used in *Gone With the Wind*. Is this true?

Yes, "Tara's Theme."