Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

after watching butterfield 8

lupinofan

liz taylor was great in that movie and i think she deserved the oscar for it. some critics said she won it because of her comeback from a stroke and that there was mixed reviews on the movie. but i think the movie showed her performance in it warranted a win.

I'm so glad you posted that, fan. I've only seen it once a long while ago but remember thinking what a great actress she was in the film and really liking the plot.

I recorded it to watch later (& maybe share with others) and just saw another post stating it was terribly boring.

I was a bit worried it was just that place & time I saw it before that made it good for me, but it might fail upon second viewing. Has that ever happened to anyone?

Amazing anyone could be so stunningly gorgeous AND such a sensitive actress.

When she hits the mid-50s, she does only one film a year...they are big films, like GIANT and CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

I guess we need to look at the birth years of her children. Maybe she was taking time off to focus on raising a family.

But when she marries Burton, her career hits a very productive period, even though not all the films were great.

> {quote:title=phroso wrote:}{quote}

> I've thought of one that was worse:

>

>

> Glenda Jackson in A TOUCH OF CLASS. No reflection on her, who I usually like, but this movie sucked.

I know a lot of people dislike *Save the Tiger*, which won Jack Lemmon an Oscar, too.

Frankly, I can't stand *Going My Way*.

With regards to Bette and Dangerous, yes some critics said this was a make up call for her not winning for Human Bondage. Even the book I have 'The Academy Awards - A Pictorial History' says 'It was a rare performance which lifted an otherwise ordinary film into a higher bracket'.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> I'm so glad you posted that, fan. I've only seen it once a long while ago but remember thinking what a great actress she was in the film and really liking the plot.

>

I agree with you. I haven't seen it for a few years, but I remember thinking it was the best performance Liz ever gave, and a good film, too. Not a lavish spectacular like some of her films, but more understated, sensitive.

MyFavoriteFilms wrote:

*She had a lot of career momentum. She had been nominated four times in a row for Best Actress (RAINTREE COUNTY, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER and BUTTERFIELD 8). If she hadn't won for this film, they probably would've given an award to her for CLEOPATRA.*

She DID have a lot of career momentum in the late 50s-early 60s, but it was more for her personal life than anything else. She had many illnesses, and went from being a figure of sympathy as the widow of Mike Todd, to scorn as the temptress who stole Eddie Fisher from Debbie Reynolds. The two films of Tennessee Williams count among her best acting IMHO, and around the time of the 1960 Oscar season in early 1961, she had been bed-ridden due to illness while filming Cleopatra. She engendered much press in the 3 year filming of that epic, not all of it good, not the least with her romance with Richard Burton. HOWEVER, I seriously doubt she would have won the Oscar as Cleo had she not gotten it for Butterfield 8 (a definite case of compensating for non-recepit for an earlier performance IMO).

*In looking at Liz' career trajectory, I noticed that between A PLACE IN THE SUN (1951) and GIANT (1956), there was a bit of a lull. Not many successful films. IVANHOE and THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS were probably tops.*

It's not so much a lull as just that A PLACE was a Fluke, a very good movie done on loan to another studio. She was still just a starlet that her studio was trying to wean into grownup roles with mixed success. Her spectacular private life and numerous marriage-go-round had already started, but she was not yet a household name. MGM usually cast her in decorative roles in their big-budget epics, taking advantage of her exquisite beauty, but not seriously challenging her acting wise.

Her career kicked into high gear with GIANT, again on loan (to WB), with the same director as PLACE, George Stevens. With the subsequent RAINTREE COUNTY, MGM finally began to take her more seriously, and give her better roles in important films (her private like during this time helped her become a true star).

*When she hits the mid-50s, she does only one film a year...they are big films, like GIANT and CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.*

*I guess we need to look at the birth years of her children. Maybe she was taking time off to focus on raising a family.*

After THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS (or was it RHAPSODY), she had her first baby, from second husband Michael Wilding, and was off the screen for nearly two years, although this had as much to do with the extended shooting schedule for GIANT as well as her maternity.

Thanks for the info, Arturo. Liz has certainly lived a whirlwind life. And she made some excellent films during some of these periods. Her earning an Oscar was inevitable. When you watch her early MGM roles, you can see her getting progressively better. The studio system was a good training ground for her and gave her the experience needed to develop her talent _and_ the chance to build a large cult-like following, that she has maintained for many years.

I did make it to the end of BOOM! You didnt miss anything (LOL). Zee is another clunker (just finished watching that) I cant think of anyone who had such a career downward spiral as Liz did in the late 60's-early 70s.........Granted the movies were changing, but her film choices were BAD. I think her last good year was 67 or 68 when she did Taming of the Shrew (her last hit)........

She had a slight rebound with 1980's THE MIRROR CRACK'D, an Agatha Christie whodunit that paired her again with Rock Hudson.

Then, there were some important TV movies like MALICE IN WONDERLAND (where she played Louella Parsons) and a well-regarded adaptation of SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH. She also turned up in the miniseries NORTH AND SOUTH.

MaliceinWonderland-DVD.jpg

Please run The VIPs in prime time or a week-end afternoon sometime. I can never make it to the end when it's overnight. It's not a great movie but the actors are in fine form, epically Dame Margaret Rutherford who won the Oscar that year as Best Supporting Actress. Maggie Smith and Rod Taylor made a great romantic team as well-if only it had been me. As for Liz and Dick, it seemed to me that they were playing themselves more than characters in most of their work together. I believe they tried to make the relationship work but could not.