Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tcm shows dvds you could buy.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah, I'm really enjoying all these John Gilbert films that are out there on DVD. I've watched my DVD of THE BIG PARADE so many times that I won't bother with tonight's airing. :)

Loved this. This was sarcasm for those in the peanut gallery.

Lzcutter - well said, as always. TCM is an "experience" for me where FMC and other channels are mainly for me to record, burn a copy and move on. I record a 97 minute movie in a 1:45 time slot and find myself enjoying all the shorts in between.

Valentine - I too record to DVD from TCM, rarely have an issue with the quality, and I find that many films are NOT available on DVD so I make sure to burn myself a copy before deleting it off the DVR. I can campaign to Kino, Criterion and even the studios, but let's face it, several films that air on TCM regularly are not EVER making their way to DVD. You have to either keep it on your DVD forever, make your own copy, or buy one online - from someone who recorded from TCM. As far as letterboxing, some films are so rare TCM is the ONLY place you may ever see it without being butchered.

Kinokima - I agree, the Walmart and other bargain stores $5 bins are usually a joke....nice packaging of HORRIBLE copies of PD films made from horrible prints.

Now I understand why some companies use their suggestion box comments for Friday Happy Hour drinking games and not to aide in improvements.

On the Waterfront is 35 mm full screen TCM shows fake letterbox. Sweet Smell of Success is 35 mm full screen TCM shows fake letterbox. There are so many it would take all day to name them. Separate Tables, Man in the Net...etc. Night Tide ... Mickey One , etc. There is no reason for TCM to ever show fake letterbox. Its an insult to subscribers. Its just freakin wrong. Its pure crap. TCM does not HAVE to show a movie. Unless a movie is presented properly, TCM can wait until it is presented properly. Nobody is twisting their arm to show fake letterbox. ignorance is not bliss ... except for some of you dreamers.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> I don't think we should be encouraging sarcasm and put-downs. It seemed plain rude to me.

I don't think clore meant it to be rude, I didn't quote it to be rude....but there is irony that a thread like this is present during a month of TCM showing films they normally would never run often and that aren't available on DVD. The August schedule alone makes many of the original poster's statements void.

fake letterbox: what it means... Ever see the ad on tcm where martin scorcese compares the "7 Brides" pan & scan to real letterbox? EVER see it? TCM is doing exactly that but the top & bottom rather than the sides. The motive behind fake letterbox: to make suckers out of viewers & to prevent copying of the actual movie. TCM loses its integrity by showing this crap. Cant you see THAT? You are too stupid to know the difference. Are you?

Thanks for not getting upset with me. I don't exactly agree with all the original poster's comments, either. But I do think that we should allow people their opinions.

And just because someone criticizes something about TCM does not mean they will stop subscribing/watching/enjoying some of its programs.

When the GHANDI foul-up occurred, I pretty much stayed out of it. However, I can see that it's important to allow people to vent. If the programmers read these threads, they will see that some good suggestions do get offered.

Thank you LoveFilmNoir, you are most correct, it was not my intention to be rude. I did neglect to mention at that point, but did in a later post in the thread, is point out that just about any cable station that airs theatrical films is airing movies that are also available on DVD.

I did find it humorous that the OP decided to post on a day in which the prime time feature and indeed much of the schedule, was featuring films that are available on DVD. THE BIG PARADE is probably one of the most anxiously awaited silent DVD releases. That the OP could only respond that he has a DVD of the film which he made from a VHS release only serves to prove the fallacy of his thread starter. The film is not a DVD that you can buy, he had to manufacture his own DVD.

My sarcasm however was also prompted by previous complaints by the OP, proved false, that TCM does not air films that feature the written or performed works of blacklisted artists. While it may be true that there are such isolated cases in regard to certain films, but the flip side of that is that there are many films that feature non-blacklsted talent that haven't been seen on TCM either. It comes down to the half-full or half-empty perspective.

>>Although you mentioned Night Tide, you did not specifically say it was in "fake letterbox." Night Tide is an odd case. The IMDb says it was shot in 1.66:1. However, the official commercial release, by Image Entertainment, is 1.85:1, which would be cropped top and bottom. My guess is that Sinister Cinema doesn't own broadcast rights, perhaps not even DVD rights, and has issued the film in OAR, but the people who own the broadcast rights only release the film in 1.85:1

Another likely ep0lanation is that NIGHT TIDE was shot Academy Ratio with the plan to show it matted to 1.66 (you don't really shoot in 1.66 as I understand it). The Image disc is probably over-cropped. Sinister Cinema gets a good many of their prints from 16mm & because those were designed for TV broadcast (among other things) they would be in Academy Ratio. But 1.66 is probably Curtis Harrington & AIP's intended ratio.

As for the other titles mentioned by Big Bopper, IMDB has them all at 1.66 except On the Waterfront, which is 1.85. Practically no Hollywood film after 1952 or so was shown in Academy Ratio. It may ahve been filmed that way but either the prints were hard-matted or had instructions to the projectionist to mask the screen to a certain aspect.

Me, too, lzcutter. You perfectly said what I feel.

Today is first day I have been able to leave our house and I wished to find something special for when my esso comes home. I checked the racks at Wal-Mart, Big Lots and the stalls at local permanent flea market. Most were modern movies we would not consider watching let alone buying. Those few which were good, old and classic fell into two distinct categories: we love them and already have them on DVD or they are complete unknowns. I would like to see them but I can not justify buying them out of curiosity. I make minimum wage for this state. How can anyone expect me to spend hour's income for totally unknown movie of questionable print quality? Very few had Closed Captioning so decision to not buy them was easy.

TCM makes it possible to see complete unknown movies at no cost. I have found new love for many movies I never knew existed. TCM has also saved me very much money by my not buying DVDs of movies I thought I might like but could not stand to watch for more than ten minutes before switching channel.

There is also special warm feeling when watching TCM when I imagine other posters here are also watching it at same time. I know it is silly to find comfort in idea of virtual friends but when I am cold, lonely and not feeling well they are a godsend.

If I can contribute anything to this board it is lesson I learned today: do not go shopping for movies when in fog of antihistamines. At one stall I saw stacks of DVDs with their titles neatly arranged. I was curious why they had so many copies of one certain movie. I thought it must be because it was so good they knew it would sell many copies or it was so bad no one had ever bought one. It was not until I was looking through stacks of DVDs at other stall that I realized 'Security Device Enclosed' is not movie title.

Edited by: SansFin on Aug 25, 2010 7:09 PM because I should say ValentineXavier also said what I feel.

Edited by: SansFin on Aug 25, 2010 10:04 PM because I said Best-Buy when I meant Big Lots.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> Me, too, lzcutter. You perfectly said what I feel.

>

> TCM makes it possible to see complete unknown movies at no cost. I have found new love for many movies I never knew existed. TCM has also saved me very much money by my not buying DVDs of movies I thought I might like but could not stand to watch for more than ten minutes before switching channel.

>

> There is also special warm feeling when watching TCM when I imagine other posters here are also watching it at same time. I know it is silly to find comfort in idea of virtual friends but when I am cold, lonely and not feeling well they are a godsend.

>

Sansfin,

I agree, LZ usually has it going on!

What you shared about TCM is my own experience too and I quoted the portion of your post that touched me in the same way. I also, since moving and changing jobs, am not earning a lot of bucks right now. Thankfully I have a good situation with my cable and so can get TCM for essentially very little, and it is one of the greatest joys in my life!

I also can relate to that feeling of a shared experience with many here who are watching films at the same time (even if not at exactly the same time with so many time-shifting devices going now, at least we're all aware of, and probably watching a film from, the many features and movie blocks on TCM, like SUTS or any of the other blocks of films or features they spotlight throughout the year. It's an amazing place to be and I absolutely, positively adore TCM!

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. LOL

I found a copy of WEST SIDE STORY (not Alpha video, but packaged by MGM) for five bucks at my local Walmart. I also found RIO BRAVO for the same price (a lot of John Wayne's films are economy-priced).

And I noticed that Walmart has some 60s and 70s Disney titles for around $6 apiece...the young Kurt Russell films and THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE, etc. Sometimes Best Buy has these offered at a similar price, especially around the holidays.

But the best deal was at a nearby discount store called Big Lots...I scooped up a new copy of PRIDE OF THE YANKEES and THE PETRIFIED FOREST...those were about three dollars each.

> But the best deal was at a nearby discount store called Big Lots...I scooped up a new copy of PRIDE OF THE YANKEES and THE PETRIFIED FOREST...those were about three dollars each.

I am sorry. In my post I said Best-Buy when I meant Big Lots.

Big Lots here only had very recent movies. There is notice in advertising that selection varies by store. Price also seems to vary. They had big sign saying $5 but many had stickers saying $9 and some said $3. There was one movie I thought would be nice but it had sticker saying $14.99. I took it to register and asked if it was really $5 like sign said but they scanned it and it came up as $19.99.

> Thanks for not getting upset with me. I don't exactly agree with all the original poster's comments, either. But I do think that we should allow people their opinions.

No one is preventing anyone from stating their opinion. Where do you get these ideas?

Big Bopper is asking for sarcastic and snide remarks for repeatedly typing things that are demonstrably wrong or misinformed in a demeaning manner. If you're going to police politeness, why haven't you said anything about the insulting comments he has made about others in this thread?

It sounds like you have a direct personality conflict with Bopper. My understanding is that is what the 'ignore' feature is all about. Nobody said I was policing anything. But when you say that someone is asking for a sarcastic reply, I think you're possibly going too far. Nobody rightfully asks to be the target of bullying. And for you to try and rationalize unpleasant behavior seems highly suspect to me. Now I'm not here to scold, and I'm sure there's been fault on all sides. But I think if we look at the subject line of this thread, we will see that it is not a controversial statement and somewhat true. It's the position that people take to defend or refute that statement which leads to a war of words. Now this is all I'm going to say on this. And since you don't want me to police this thread, I think you will let me bow out gracefully. I really have nothing else to add to this thread and want to post on other threads instead. Thanks.

Well, it's only my opinion, of course, but I think anyone who includes phrases like:

>>Cant you see THAT? You are too stupid to know the difference. Are you?

in his or her posts is asking for sarcastic come-backs, whether he or she realizes it or not.

That kind of attitude and language is just plain rude.

>>On the Waterfront is 35 mm full screen TCM shows fake letterbox. Sweet Smell of Success is 35 mm full screen TCM shows fake letterbox. There are so many it would take all day to name them. Separate Tables, Man in the Net...etc. Night Tide ... Mickey One , etc. There is no reason for TCM to ever show fake letterbox. Its an insult to subscribers. Its just freakin wrong. Its pure crap. TCM does not HAVE to show a movie. Unless a movie is presented properly, TCM can wait until it is presented properly. Nobody is twisting their arm to show fake letterbox. ignorance is not bliss ... except for some of you dreamers.

According to the IMDb. ON THE WATERFRONT is supposed to be a 1.85:1 ratio.

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS is 1.66:1

SEPARATE TABLES is also 1.66:1 as is MAN IN THE NET and NIGHT TIDE.

I'm not offended by anything anyone says here so I don't feel the need to use the ignore option.

Big Bopper can say whatever he wants to say in any way he wishes to, however...

> {quote:title=Big_Bopper wrote:}{quote}

> Cant you see THAT? You are too stupid to know the difference. Are you?

>

> Nobody is twisting their arm to show fake letterbox. ignorance is not bliss ... except for some of you dreamers.

...If Big Bopper wants to respond this way, anyone has the right to point out the flaws (various) in his reasoning and if they're a bit harsh, I don't care. Civility is a good thing but you don't have to point it out every single time. Nothing was out of control about the discussion and I'm sure no one's going to suffer hurt feelings over a disagreement about TCM showing movies you can get on DVD.

You're taking it far too seriously, don't be so sensitive.

*According to the IMDb. ON THE WATERFRONT is supposed to be a 1.85:1 ratio.*

*SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS is 1.66:1*

*SEPARATE TABLES is also 1.66:1 as is MAN IN THE NET and NIGHT TIDE.*

Um, yes, as I pointed out about 9 posts up.

>>Um, yes, as I pointed out about 9 posts up.

Sorry about that Harry, somehow I must have missed it, obviously. Probably scrolled too fast, I usually do work my way up through threads.

TCM is not showing them in the proper aspect ratio. They are showing full screen cropped to simulate widescreen. Thats the problem. other pix TCM showed in fake letterbox: House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, Shampoo, Phenix City Story... many others

> That was a hostile post. You need to stop taking things so personally. If people find other ways to enjoy films, other than thru TCM, that's their prerogative.

If you are referring to my post stating that I could, in the comfort of my own home, watch a TCM film of my choice, from my DVR, at no additional charge, while you are digging through the bins at Walmart, that was not the least bit hostile. I was merely stating my prerogative, and why I prefer it to yours. You "need to stop taking things so personally."

Not just TCM - dvds are being issued in fake letterbox. DONT ERASE your old tapes! I have four I got out of the library - ALL are fake letterbox: Iceman Cometh 1973, Mikey & Nicky, Warning Shot & Danger Diabolik. They call it "Enhanced for 16 X 9 screens" ......ENHANCED! cropping a movie is a Good Thing!... thats playing viewers for suckers alright.

Columbia pix are usually fake letterbox. You can tell right away as the steps of the platform of the statue is missing. The Wrong Man used to be fake letterbox & enough people complained & it was returned to full screen. Kiss Me Deadly is fake letterbox. Columbia pix Strait-jacket, Middle of the Night, Nightfall, Murder by Contract are fake.

> {quote:title=Big_Bopper wrote:}{quote}

> Not just TCM - dvds are being issued in fake letterbox. DONT ERASE your old tapes! I have four I got out of the library - ALL are fake letterbox: Iceman Cometh 1973, Mikey & Nicky, Warning Shot & Danger Diabolik. They call it "Enhanced for 16 X 9 screens" ......ENHANCED! cropping a movie is a Good Thing!... thats playing viewers for suckers alright.

Sigh...this is like shooting fish in a barrel...

BB, "enhanced for 16x9 screens" has nothing to do with so-called "fake letterbox." It is a term, also called "anamorphic," and what this means is that the image has been placed on the DVD in a horizontally squeezed format that, when played on a 16x9 television, is detected and stretched back out horizontally in the same proportion so that the widescreen image fills the physical screen (or most of the screen in the case of extremely wide film images) at full resolution, without introducing shape distortion. In the case of DVDs that came out prior to 16x9 TV screens becoming the norm, they were not anamorphic and when a DVD was played and shown on a 16x9 TV screen it would take up a small portion in the center of your screen and would have black on all four sides.