Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Romantic Classic Movie Moments

Frozen in time are the memorable romantic moments Hollywood's film geniuses and Leading Legends brought to us to treasure for years to come. For fun I had merged several into a montage.

Tell me what yours are?

And which from my video (if any) you especially favor.

Gilbert and Garbo in Flesh and the Devil [the night they first meet, etc.........]

Taylor and Garbo in Camille - [the scene in her bedroom at her birthday party]

Bogart and Bacall (cannot pinpoint exact scenes)

i could go on, but those are my choices now!

Here are just a few:

Kiss on the bridge in Gone with the Wind

Bogey and Bergman at end of Casablanca

Balcony scene in Adventures of Robin Hood

Two-cigarette scene in Now Voyager

Extended kissing scene in Notorious

"Night and Day" from Gay Divorcee. He even offers her a cigarette after that one!

I'm sure I can think of many more. Any of the scenes that were cut out by the censoring priest in "Cinema Paradiso" that got restored in that wonderful montage at the end of the film!

I know my feeling of romance are far outside norm. First scene I think of when thinking romance is scene in *Tovarich* where she makes him state formal apology and slaps him and then falls into his arms. It shows so many things I can not begin to count. It recalls he was dashing officer when she first fell into love with him. It shows social divide was bridged by love. It is playful beyond belief. It shows she still finds comfort and security in his arms.

Only kiss I find truly romantic is in *The Thomas Crown Affair* when they stop playing chess. It is not kiss itself which is romantic. It is moment when he hesitates before kissing her. He knows he is handsome, powerful and very sexy. Yet he has moment when he questions if he is good enough for her. That shows true love.

At the risk of drawing laughter, I'll have to say that I never saw greater devotion and romantic attachment between a couple than that between Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan in the Tarzan series. Some of it was sexy, too!

Pretty much the entire relationship between Simon Dermott and Nicole Bonnet (Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn) in How To Steal A Million, but especially the scene where they're locked in the closet together. Some of those line make me swoon just reading them:

Simon Dermott: (about to see Nicole to a taxi) Just one more tiny favour: like an idiot I forgot to wear gloves on the job. I may have left some fingerprints. Be an angel. Before you go to bed, just give the frame of the painting a little wipe with a clean cloth, ok?

Nicole Bonnet: Certainly. Anything else? You wouldn't like a forged passport or some counterfeit money or...

Simon Dermott: Oh, no no no.

Nicole Bonnet: You're mad. Utterly mad. I suppose you want to kiss me goodnight?

Simon Dermott: Oh, I don't usually, not on the first acquaintance, but you've been such a good sport...

(he kisses her, she resists at first, than yields)

Simon Dermott: (o the taxi driver) 38, Rue Parmentier, drive carefully.

)to Nicole)

Simon Dermott: Get a good night's sleep.

But this might just be my favorite:

Simon: You have two gorgeous girls in your family, Mr. Bonnet.

Bonnet (Nicole's father): Two?

Simon: The other is upstairs wrapped in a shirt in my room.

Bonnet: A-ha!And which, may I ask, do you intend to keep?

Simon: (finishes pouring champagne) The real one.

SIGH :)

Oh and I also love the end of Morocco , when Marlene Dietrich takes off her heels to follow Gary Cooper into the desert. There are probably dozens of other moments, but those are the ones on the top of my head.

Edited by: greenkneehighs on Aug 30, 2010 11:02 PM