Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's interesting to watch her in a film like CONFIDENTIAL AGENT...it's the mid-40s, she's in her first phase as a motion picture star, and there she is doing a significant film for Warners sans Bogey. She looks gorgeous in it.

But I think she fares best without Bogey at MGM...especially in DESIGNING WOMAN and THE COBWEB, both by Vincente Minnelli. I love both those films and am glad they're on the schedule today.

This afternoon, they are airing the Private Screenings piece she did in '05. She characterizes herself as a 'character actress' in it. I slightly disagree. I think she was one of those rare actresses who could do lead _and_ character roles at any age (even more so than Bette Davis or the other bigger name stars). Her appearance in MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS typifies this, where she has lead billing but is doing a character-driven part.

I'm grooving on Lauren's day too! I never saw DESIGNING WOMAN, and caught part of that after work. Of course, I love all the Bogie pairings, and have those to watch for later, as well as some from today from the DVR. Also looking forward to CONFIDENTIAL AGENT (saw it several years ago and didn't like it, but going to give it another go), and BLOOD ALLEY (never saw that one!)--both from earlier today.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I will repeat. That scene in DESIGNING WOMAN beginning with when Dolores Gray dumps the ravioli into Peck's lap has got to be one of the funniest film scenes ever.

I believe it is so perfect because you know you would want to do same thing in that situation but you wonder if you would dare. We identify with her and share her victory.

This was my first time catching her interview with RO. I have to admit my favorite Bacall films are her ones with Bogey (my favorite onscreen/offscreen couple) but I think she is a fascinating lady. I would have died to have seen her on the stage.

MyFAvoriteFilms wrote:

*But I think she fares best without Bogey at MGM...especially in DESIGNING WOMAN and THE COBWEB, both by Vincente Minnelli. I love both those films and am glad they're on the schedule today.*

Interestingly, both of these films were originally intended for Grace Kelly. DESIGNING WOMAN she didn't do because her designs as a woman had fallen into place, she married and became a real life princess. So MGM offered the part to Bacall and Bogart, but his advanced illness didn't allow him to film it.

Poinciana wrote:

*Why oh why doesn't TCM ever show The Gift of Love with Lauren and Robert Stack???*

Probably because it's a 20th Century Fox film, like the original, SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY (1946) with Maureen O'Hara and John Payne.

DESIGNING WOMAN is Lauren's personal favorite.

I hadn't seen BLOOD ALLEY till today...she's gorgeous in that one, too. And I really like her chemistry with Duke, repeated two decades later for THE SHOOTIST.

WRITTEN ON THE WIND is another one that would've been fun to see today (of course, they would've had to borrow it from Universal).