Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What a treat some of these films are today...!

I especially love BABY THE RAIN MUST FALL. Perhaps Steve M was a bit miscast, because we almost expect Elvis to play this part. But Lee is superb. I really liked the other character actors in it, though it did seem like the little girl had a British accent, and for someone in the southern U.S., it seemed out of place. The film reminds me a lot of Horton Foote's other screenplay about a Texas drifter trying to make a go of a singing career, TENDER MERCIES.

THE WHEELER DEALERS is another one I'm watching today...it begins with a sexy James Garner (circa 1963) out near an oil well. He plays his usual smug but comic type of character (perfected earlier on TV's 'Maverick'). And Lee is a stock analyst working in a man's world. I like the chemistry between these two stars, and it's too bad they didn't do a western together.

Later tonight I'm looking forward to DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES...

Just finished watching "Expirement in Terror". Have seen this Blake Edwards thriller many times and never get tired of watching it. Wonderful performances by Lee Remick {She could do no wrong in my book } Glenn Ford as the FBI agent and a outstanding piece of acting by Ross Martin in his Golden Globe nominated role of "Red" Lynch. A great cat and mouse thriller with San Francisco locations circa 1961/62. On his next film Edwards again teamed with Lee Remick for the classic "Days of Wine and Roses". One forgets how good a dramatic director Edwards was after he started his "Pink Panyher" series.....

One of her very good and forgotten films is "Hard Contract." It was filmed on location in Spain with a very impressive cast that included, James Coburn, Lilli Palmer, Burgess Meredith, Patrick Magee and Sterling Hayden. This was for the most part, a very unusual story about a group of misfits roaming amid the Spanish countryside, while one of them harbors a terrible secret. The reviews were good for this 1969 movie. However, it sort of died at the box-office and didn't do much for anyone's career, despite having lots of skillful dramatic content to consider.

Sounds interesting...I really need to start looking at Sterling Hayden's later stuff. I think he's a great actor.

As for Lee, Encore Westerns has been airing THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL which she did with Burt Lancaster. I haven't seen it yet but did program it on the DVR.

Nobody's mentioned *The Days of Wine and Roses*, an excellent but heartbreaking film. Both Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick are wonderful in it. Lee in particular gives an authentic and poignant performance. There have been quite a few good films about alcolholism, but I think this is one of the best. The other one that comes to mind is of course *Lost Weekend*, but *Days* has a better, sadder, but more realistic ending . I had a glass of wine I was planning to sip while watching this, and I had to put it down.

I recorded DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, but I haven't viewed it yet. I did get the chance today to watch THE RUNNING MAN. It's a little long in stretches but it's good...and the casting is fun (Lee, a blonde Laurence Harvey and Alan Bates). It seems very Hitchcockian to me, and there's a lot of action in the last twenty minutes.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Nobody's mentioned *The Days of Wine and Roses*

Not one of my favorites. Not that it isn't well-made, but the characters grate on my nerves after a bit. I guess it may be just too realistic. I skipped it, but it was fun to see some of the others, again, especially *Telefon* and *Hennessy*. Except for *A Face in the Crowd* (which I also skipped, because I'm sick to death of it), I've seen every one of her films, during their original theatrical releases. Always a favorite of mine.

Just in case there's somebody who hasn't seen them, there will be *****SPOILERS*****

It's so very sad that it's the wife and mother who doesn't make it in "Wine and Roses." That poor little girl. Yes, LOST WEEKEND has an all too happy ending. How that must have irked Mr. Wilder. If only we could combine the best elements of both movies. "Weekend" is the more creative and efficient film. "Roses" the stronger ending. This says something about the expectations of society, and the way that changed in the dozen years between the two films.

You might have had to put down your glass of wine, but apparently the theme of the movie rolled right off of Lemmon's back. He became a heavier drinker in the years after the movie, and was an admitted alcoholic. Blake Edwards, though, said he gave up drinking after doing this film.

That's interesting. I remember reading an article in the L.A. Times after the premiere of THE INSIDER, a 1999 film about the tobacco industry and a real-life whistle blower (played by Russell Crowe). The writer of the article made a big deal of seeing Martin Landau and other actors smoking at the party after the premiere. Basically, it was suggested that they should not be smoking considering the negative light that the filmmakers painted the cigarette manufacturers. But a man's personal life does not have to exactly coincide with whatever part he is doing on screen...and if he's been smoking or drinking for years, that does not mean he's going to automatically kick the habit just because a certain script comes his way. He could be doing the role for a variety of other reasons.