Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

misswonderly3

6 minutes ago, BingFan said:

Definitely another disturbing book, for the same reasons.  It seems odd to say that I "enjoyed" these unsettling stories about America gone very wrong, so maybe I should just say that I found The Plot Against America to be a very valuable reading experience, much like It Can't Happen Here.

I might say that The Plot Against America was even more disturbing because the setting and characters were presented in a more realistic way.  There, the anti-Semitic dictator wasn't fictional -- he was Charles Lindbergh!

"Phillip Roth's Dad" was MY FAVORITE CHARACTER out of anything I read (or tried to read) that year. Like, If I gave out MENTAL OSCARS to characters in books, he'd be a lock for best supporting.

I especially loved it when the family went to WASHINGTON DC on vacation and he wouldn't stop mouthing off about how ****ed up things were in public and he got them kicked out of the hotel.

I was like "same."

On 9/14/2019 at 10:22 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Give me pragmatist William James over Henry James any day. :lol: 

Spoken like a true philosopher.

Have you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? The subject matter is not "pure" philosophy, per se; but something you might enjoy. Who knows, they might even mention Nietzsche in there somewhere ;) .

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, laffite said:

Spoken like a true philosopher.

Have you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? The subject matter is not "pure" philosophy, per se; but something you might enjoy. Who knows, they might even mention Nietzsche in there somewhere ;) .

I have heard good things of that one but I haven't read it yet.

I've always thought of Babbitt as the early creme de la creme of dissecting the American

middle class and pointing out it idiocies and follies and rank materialism. And all done with 

some humor. As I recall, at the end of the book there is some possibility of change for

George F. No doubt Lewis' literary reputation has declined over the last forty years or

so, but I still enjoy the his novels. I don't know if I'd call Babbitt a forgotten book, but

it's probably not as well known as it was in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading ROBIN by Dave Itzkoff. It's a big thick book most likely would never have finished it if I hadn't spent so many hours in the hospital with a relative. It's very interesting-Robin's childhood, his early years, his struggling to "make it". Once the story goes on to tell his rocketing into fame, we recognize events and his handling of them, only hearing it from Williams' pov.

The book evoked empathy & insight of what life may have been like for the "undisputed king of comedy" his successes, his failures and some of his personality dealing with them. Although told chronologically, I found SEVERAL instances where entire paragraphs are repeated. Obviously, the author cut & pasted sections and the galleys were not edited by a person. Yes, I even found simple typos.

51dST3WMBaL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Perhaps a real human editor could have streamlined this book and lightened it up a bit. OK, but not great. I knew his last days would leave me very very sad, so I read that first.

I'm now reading a tiny paperback bought at a library sale called Love, Lucy. Apparently Lucie & Desi Jr found transcripts of Lucy's memories when closing her estate. Lucie surmises these recordings were possibly suggested by her therapist as an emotional purge. The memories are put in chronological order-FASCINATING read, in Lucy's own "voice"!

41F4DE4Z8ML._SL300_.jpg

One aspect I really love about Ball-she's VERY fair minded.

• Like 2

OH MY SWEET LORD JESUS.

On a lark this morning, i figured i'd take a pic of my bookshelf at home to post here (note- this doesn't represent every book i've read in the past 10+ years, just the ones i liked that weren't from the library)

as a side note, I discovered that my camera was set on something called "live photo" which means every photo i've taken (and there are hundreds) has actually been a compressed video, and that is why it takes me FOREVER TO TRY AND SEND/POST THEM, and it usualyl fails, and they have been taking up to three times as much space in my phone's memory.

naturally, this COMPLETELY USELESS AND STUPID function is activated with a button in the middle of your camera that you cannot avoid but brush with your finger.

GOD I HATE TECHNOLOGY

• Haha 2

On 9/26/2019 at 5:53 AM, TikiSoo said:

I'm now reading a tiny paperback bought at a library sale called Love, Lucy. Apparently Lucie & Desi Jr found transcripts of Lucy's memories when closing her estate. Lucie surmises these recordings were possibly suggested by her therapist as an emotional purge. The memories are put in chronological order-FASCINATING read, in Lucy's own "voice"!

41F4DE4Z8ML._SL300_.jpg

One aspect I really love about Ball-she's VERY fair minded.

Re: the Robin Williams book. I hate when books having glaring typos. Don't publishers hire copy editors? Or someone whose job is proofreading? 

There's a Lucille Ball book called Ball of Fire by Stefan Kanfer that is terrible. Aside from typographical errors that I recall, there are also many glaring factual errors that just irritated me. Believe me, I have read a lot of books about Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Vivian Vance and I Love Lucy. In my childhood, I read every single book about Lucille Ball and anything I Love Lucy-adjacent that I could find.

Love Lucy is a great book. The main reason I love it is that it was written by Lucy herself. If I remember right, the book takes you right up to the beginning of The Lucy Show. If I can find them, I prefer autobiographies. Even if the author slants their story in a way to improve their image (Ginger Rogers, I'm looking at you), the stories are usually interesting and presented fairly.  I do not like books written in the expose style of writing where the main purpose is to either exploit something from a person's past (e.g. sex life) or to undermine their reputation.  In Love Lucy, one of my favorite parts is the beginning up to Lucy meeting Desi.  Her childhood, her schooling in New York and modeling experience was very interesting.

If you can find it, I highly suggest Desi Arnaz' A Book. That book is hands down one of the best celebrity autobiographies I've ever read. I got my copy (for $5) probably some 25 years ago at a used bookstore in downtown Salem and I've never seen another copy since.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH MY SWEET LORD JESUS.

On a lark this morning, i figured i'd take a pic of my bookshelf at home to post here (note- this doesn't represent every book i've read in the past 10+ years, just the ones i liked that weren't from the library)

as a side note, I discovered that my camera was set on something called "live photo" which means every photo i've taken (and there are hundreds) has actually been a compressed video, and that is why it takes me FOREVER TO TRY AND SEND/POST THEM, and it usualyl fails, and they have been taking up to three times as much space in my phone's memory.

naturally, this COMPLETELY USELESS AND STUPID function is activated with a button in the middle of your camera that you cannot avoid but brush with your finger.

GOD I HATE TECHNOLOGY

I think my photos were set to the "Live Photo" setting as well.  On the bright side, I do have a lot of very short videos of Buddy the bird. 

Great pic! I would take a photo of my bookshelf, but at the moment it has been completely taken over by movies to the point where the movies are in front of the books.

I can read though, I swear! Lol. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2011 at 7:34 PM, EugeniaH said:

*Carry On, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse. It is insane comedy about an English twit and his gentleman's gentleman. It is odd to reread it now because I have seen the BBC television series based on these books and the star is Hugh Laurie who is Dr. House on current television.*

SansFin, I am a P.G. Wodehouse fanatic! The Jeeves series is my favorite (I own all the Omnibuses published in England), and I just recently got the Blandings Castle omnibus. Haven't started that yet, though.

Heh, and to be honest, what I am reading right now is the latest Pearls Before Swine collection by Stephan Pastis. Love this comic strip...

OMG! I've downloaded some Wodehouse ebooks from Gutenburg.org. I love those stories!

On 10/25/2011 at 7:34 PM, EugeniaH said:

*Carry On, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse. It is insane comedy about an English twit and his gentleman's gentleman. It is odd to reread it now because I have seen the BBC television series based on these books and the star is Hugh Laurie who is Dr. House on current television.*

SansFin, I am a P.G. Wodehouse fanatic! The Jeeves series is my favorite (I own all the Omnibuses published in England), and I just recently got the Blandings Castle omnibus. Haven't started that yet, though.

Heh, and to be honest, what I am reading right now is the latest Pearls Before Swine collection by Stephan Pastis. Love this comic strip...

OMG! I've read those. Downloaded for free from Gutenburg.org. Love them!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 9:47 PM, laffite said:

Is that the Portable Dorothy Parker I see there? If so, pick it up and read "Mrs. Hofstadler on Josephine Street." Funny story.

I would take a photo of my many bookcases, but I am way out of space.

6 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I would take a photo of my many bookcases, but I am way out of space.

It might be a cute exercise for book-o-**** to post a photo of a bookcase for this tread. I plan to do that. A thanks to Lorna for the idear of it.

[ p h i l e ]

29 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SERIOUSLY, THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH "P H I L E"???????????????

Not surprised. I tried to describe Luke Perry as a h o t t i e the other day and had to utilize a superfluous amount of spacing to get my point across.

Though Luke Perry is a **** does add a lot of mystique.

What is Speedracer saying about Luke Perry?! o.O

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SERIOUSLY, THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH "P H I L E"???????????????

Incredible, isn't it! It doesn't even matter if you don't put ****- in front of it.

p e d o

...either that or book lovers are now considered perv behavior (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. Unless you have a kindle, of course.)

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, Gershwin fan said:

I really wouldn't consider Babbitt forgotten since that is one of Lewis' most famous books. The rest of the list looks very interesting though. So Big has had like three film adaptations, I haven't seen any though. 

That's the only one I've read

Here's the "Hollywood" section of my bookcase:

Horizontal stuff is going to auction. I have an original 1940 FANTASIA promo book sent to theaters from Disney and a huge Judy Garland book on their way out.

The barrister case has my oldest collected books...

Garson Kanin's Hollywood, Serious Business, Wizard of Oz, The Bad & The Beautiful -all excellent books- are all behind the glare.

Trash is an excellent picture book of trashy movie posters & Jean Howard's Hollywood is a beautiful collection of candid photos of movie stars at leisure. 

And here's the overflow.

The "Manhandled" shelf is movie related. Note it's 2 rows deep. This "overflow" has all been amassed in the past decade. Mr Tiki's travel agenda always involves a used bookstore. Powell's in Oregon & McKays in KY are destinations.

Bottom shelf has Schultz portrait of me & my Golden Retriever in snow with black sky. Syracuse, haha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Here's the "Hollywood" section of my bookcase:barristertop.jpg.a2ebc8b2e88413e38d84963b9bce289a.jpg

Horizontal stuff is going to auction. I have an original 1940 FANTASIA promo book sent to theaters from Disney and a huge Judy Garland book on their way out.

The barrister case has my oldest collected books...

barrister2.jpg.eb9e73ec508f923092fee7039ee24fbe.jpg

Garson Kanin's Hollywood, Serious Business, Wizard of Oz, The Bad & The Beautiful -all excellent books- are all behind the glare.

barrister3.jpg.e62304193c3ad02a9b823eced7a9dfdc.jpg

Trash is an excellent picture book of trashy movie posters & Jean Howard's Hollywood is a beautiful collection of candid photos of movie stars at leisure. 

bookshelf.jpg.29ce17bcfc8eca4fef65a0697104deb2.jpg

And here's the overflow.

The "Manhandled" shelf is movie related. Note it's 2 rows deep. This "overflow" has all been amassed in the past decade. Mr Tiki's travel agenda always involves a used bookstore. Powell's in Oregon & McKays in KY are destinations.

Bottom shelf has Schultz portrait of me & my Golden Retriever in snow with black sky. Syracuse, haha.

Great Collection! 

I love Powell’s. They just remodeled and added more rooms!! 

When I have time, I can post a photo of all my Hollywood and I Love Lucy books.