Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
misswonderly3

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

I came across a copy of THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING by JULIA CHILD and two others (apologies for not knowing their names.)

To be perfectly honest with you, about 9/10 of the recipes are NASTY AS ALL GET OUT.

Cooked cucumbers, boiled celery hearts in mayo, a WHOLE SECTION DEDICATED TO COOKING BRAINS.

Highly recommended for anyone looking to go on a crash diet or in serious need of an ipecac.

I have never read anything by JOHN IRVING, although numerous people have raved about him to me, a few have cited THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP as one of their favorite novels. It being the dead of winter and not a lot going on, I checked it out from the library and made it forty pages into it before I put it down in disgust.

I admit that my tastes are skewed between a DARK SIDE of my nature and this annoying LEFTIST TENDENCY i have to empathize with others, but the fact that a Nurse sexually assaults a vulnerable, brain-damaged veteran in her care and this is treated as something HILARIOUS just made me sick to my stomach.

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I came across a copy of THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING by JULIA CHILD and two others (apologies for not knowing their names.)

To be perfectly honest with you, about 9/10 of the recipes are NASTY AS ALL GET OUT.

Cooked cucumbers, boiled celery hearts in mayo, a WHOLE SECTION DEDICATED TO COOKING BRAINS.

Highly recommended for anyone looking to go on a crash diet or in serious need of an ipecac.

Sounds like something that Joan Crawford would serve her guests.  Very high tone.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Sounds like something that Joan Crawford would serve her guests.  Very high tone.

funny you mention this, a while back I came across a recipe for JOAN CRAWFORD'S BANANA SALAD, which was A BANANA SMEARED IN MAYONNAISE ON A BED OR LETTUCE, so- spot on observation, Good Sir!

• Like 1

as an aside, while I do not know a lot about cooking, I did spot one serious error in the book. in her recipe for VINEGAR POTATO SALAD, Ms. Child instructs you to drop the potatoes into already boiling water- which will result in an unevenly cooked potato. all root vegetables should be submerged in water that is then brought to a boil to insure thorough and even cooking.

Right now I am reading Louisa May Alcott's original Little Women novel.  I never read this book during childhood (when I think it is more often read).  With all the iterations of Little Women that I've seen lately, I wanted to see how the source material was adapted throughout the years.  It is interesting, but  the writing style reaffirms why I am not a fan of 19th century literature.  In the novel, the way that the teenaged characters speak seems so unnatural to me. Who knows though, I wasn't alive during the Civil War era, so maybe this is how 12-year olds speak. 

After I'm done with this book, I may read the novel version of Where the Boys Are which I just discovered existed.  I love the movie.

Have you read the Wiki page about "Where the Boys Are?"

The original title was "Unholy Spring" which the author was convinced to change by the movie producers since the rights were purchased prior to publication.

Also, there was a plotline about the kids funding Castro's Cuban revolution was which expunged.  No politics in this entertainment movie!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Have you read the Wiki page about "Where the Boys Are?"

The original title was "Unholy Spring" which the author was convinced to change by the movie producers since the rights were purchased prior to publication.

Also, there was a plotline about the kids funding Castro's Cuban revolution was which expunged.  No politics in this entertainment movie!

I did read the Wiki page.  I am curious about how Castro's revolution fits into the plot lines in the story.  I have a feeling that the book will be racier than the movie.

I'm glad they changed the title--otherwise, we wouldn't have the fabulous Connie Francis song, "Where the Boys Are." 

• Like 1

Lorna Luft did a cover version for the 1984 remake.  I have a copy on vinyl of the dance remix.  It's not bad, if you like 1984 Dance Music.

7 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

Lorna Luft did a cover version for the 1984 remake.  I have a copy on vinyl of the dance remix.  It's not bad, if you like 1984 Dance Music.

It all depends on how it sounds.  Since the original was not a dance version, I am skeptical, but I would listen to it.  Right now, I'm really tired of 80s music since the local radio seems to think that that was the end-all-be-all of music.  80s is all they play.  Ugh.  I just got Sirius XM in my new car though, so I've been listening to a lot of 40s jazz and 50s doo w o p . Lol.  The 50s station played James Darren's song from "Gidget" the other day!

Speaking of "Gidget"... Like my segue?

After I finish Where the Boys Are, I think I'm going to read the novel version of Gidget

I got a Kindle for Christmas.  As much as I love physical media, it's nice having the Kindle.  It's easier to pack around than a bunch of books. It's especially nice to have on an airplane.