Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misswonderly3

Somewhat Off-Topic: What have you been reading lately?

1 hour ago, laffite said:

I have The Woodlanders on the shelf. Maybe I'll pick it up. It's an early one, isnt't it? I liked TESS and THE MAYOR OF CASTERBRIDGE a lot. I tried RETURN OF THE NATIVE and really struggled with it. I didn't get through it.  If you're into television adaptations, try Casterbride (2003) which is great. The actor Ciaran Hinds is brilliant as Michael Henchard. He was born to play that role. There is an earlier one (1978) with the great Alan Bates as Henchard but I didn't take to it. I have a TV adaptation of Tess made in 2008, four episodes. It's probably in my mailbox right now.

Thanks for the preview of Woodlanders. You got me curious.

I AM the Hammer. Bam!

//

RETURN OFVTHE NATIVE Is a good high school reading book, In that it is accessible and not as highfalutin as some of his other stuff, but  it’s in no way indicative of the depth that Hardy was capable of.

Re: THE WOODLANDERS -Now of course I’m plagued by that worry I have when I recommend something highly To someone that they will in fact not like it at all, but I kinda doubt that- stick with it For the first 100 pages if you can, because it is really A book that is ahead of its time and I think the ending is fantastic . And I think THE WOODLANDERS is one of his later novels....possibly his penultimate. 

• Thanks 1

Death in Venice is a wonderful summertime read. You can almost feel the sun on your face

and smell the suntan lotion as you turn the pages.  And it's short so that it can be finished

in a few days, leaving one time to concentrate on getting a nice tan. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I have Jim Thompson on my to-read list.  Love both Hardy and Steinbeck and read almost everything I could get my hands on.  There was an article in my local paper that said good readers make good writers.  As an English Major/English teacher/tutor, I think Steinbeck has an incredible sense of setting.  So does Thomas Hardy.

If you do not know how THE GRIFTERS ends, I highly recommend it as the first book by Jim Thompson for you to read. It has one of the best endings of any book I’ve ever read, And I still remember finishing it in detention in high school and saying “oh wow !” out loud and getting in trouble for it.

THE KILLER INSIDE ME and POP 1280 Are also exceptional, although they are somewhat similar. A HELL OF A WOMAN Is a brilliant, almost Dostoyevskian black comedy, And a personal favorite of mine is THE TRANSGRESSORS- Although it is one of his least discussed, least well-known books. AFTER DARK MY SWEET Is also really good, but it’s really short (just barely over 100 pages.)

Skip THE GETAWAY though. It is a letdown. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I've seen the movie.  However, very often the books differ from the movies.

Besides changing the date the story takes place on (from 1963 to the present, which at the time was 1990) the movie is actually *extremely* faithful to the book. Like, right down to the dialogue verbatim. Nonetheless, in my opinion, it fails to capture the electricity of the novel.

so you might wanna start with THE KILLER INSIDE ME or POP 1280 or  HELL OF A WOMAN. 

• Like 1

Just got the book "This Film is Dangerous - A Celebration of Nitrate Film".  

91CESuf94hL.jpg

Glance through it so far, a lot to read.  Goodness did got my money's worth ($68.00) it's large  11 X 7 3/4 X 1 1/2 inches (same my ARRL Radio Handbooks).

Did a spit take when I got to the chapter on page 527. :lol:

PANA0040.jpg

Sounds like something about Marie Dressler. (very volatile) :P

Dark Star (The Roy Orbison Story) by Ellis Amburn

It's so interesting that such an ugly duckling like Roy was able to win the love of one of the town's prettiest girls. She married him long before he became famous and suffered a life of poverty with him while he toiled at his songwriting.