Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am not a major fan of his...the performances I have seen in THE LION IN WINTER and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA are very good...but he's an acquired taste of an actor for me.

Maybe after today, after sampling a few of his other pictures, I will feel differently.

P.S. I find it interesting that Aldo Ray has higher billing over him in one of the films (THE DAY THEY ROBBED THE BANK OF ENGLAND). That would be like taking a popular TV star nowadays, say a Mark Harmon or someone like that, and making him the lead actor over Tom Cruise. LOL

They're saving two of my favorites for the end of the day: THE RULING CLASS and THE STUNT MAN. I wish they had found time for his first movie, THE SAVAGE INNOCENTS, in which O'Toole's voice is dubbed by some guy who sounds like the Professor from Gilligan's Island.

Peter O'Toole happens to be my favorite actor and still the only one whom, whenever I watch something he's in, get completely lost in his characterization and forget he's an actor. I picked out Lawrence of Arabia one day just because I wanted to watch all of AFI's Top 100 Movies (I kept forgetting and I think I watched seven, lol), I fell in love with the acting and the story and it lead me to other classic movies that even my other family members had never seen. I've been waiting for this day all summer, even though tomorrow I go back to school. I can see why others may not like his acting style (he's a touch more theatrical than most), but I was always big into theatre so I love it. :)

{quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}P.S. I find it interesting that Aldo Ray has higher billing over him in one of the films (THE DAY THEY ROBBED THE BANK OF ENGLAND). That would be like taking a popular TV star nowadays, say a Mark Harmon or someone like that, and making him the lead actor over Tom Cruise. LOL{quote}

The reason why is because it's one of Peter O'Toole's first film roles; he wasn't yet a leading man in the movies. But when it came out, a director by the name of David Lean saw it and decided that the young actor playing the "silly **** Englishman" would be perfect for the lead of a movie he was going to film- Lawrence of Arabia

Edited by: greenkneehighs on Aug 28, 2010 1:00 PM

It's not that I don't like him, it's that he takes a bit of time to get used to, because his style is a bit different...and probably also because I did not grow up in Great Britain where he was a household name.

But I think he's fabulous with Kate in THE LION IN WINTER and I wish like mad they had shown that one today. We have to wait till December.

The first Peter O'Toole movie I saw was How to Steal a Million which I watched because of Audrey not him but I ended up really liking him so I watched Lawrence of Arabia & Man from La Mancha. The first I loved the 2nd not so much but since then I have been a fan even though I have only seen a very limited amount of his movies. I also really like Lion In Winter.

I don't mind the theatrics at all although I will say some of his movies are a bit too long for me which is probably why I have not seen more sooner.

I regret that I did not pay closer attention to Becket today since what I say I *really* liked. I just kept getting distracted by other things. Luckily it is streaming on Netflix so I plan to watch it again soon. Which I guess is another good thing about TCM even if I miss something it makes me aware of things I want to watch.

Also looking forward to Lord Jim today because it also has James Mason another favorite actor of mine.

I'm a big fan of O'Toole but I do know many classic movie fans that don't like him much, for example my wife. But I don't believe this is because of O'Toole as an actor as much as it is about the actual movies he is in.

For example, Lawrence of Arabia. My wife feels the movie is boring. Now she hasn't seen it in a theater (anyone that feels that experience is boring is half dead!), but this is the type of movie that loses a lot on a 40 inch TV screen.

Take Lion In Winter; My wife feels the movie is too much like Virginia Woolf! i.e. too much yelling for her taste. It just gets under her skin. I tried to get her to just enjoy the great acting and interplay between Kate and Peter but they reminded her too much of her parents and she just couldn't get pass that.

I'm going to see if she like The Stunt Man. In this movie Peter is charming and that is the type of male lead she is more attactive too (her favorite is of course Cary Grant). O'Toole is mostly case in roles that have an edge and while I like this it appears to rub some the wrong way.

I have been looking forward to this all week, I enjoy his acting and was hoping he would win an oscar in 2006 but didn't. I've watched all todays movies and My Favorite Year was one I thought the least interesting but see that he was up for an award for it. I think known best for Lawrence of Arabia one of my favorites is Lord Jim which is up next. Thanks for starting the post, it would be sad to go through the day without talking about this great actor.

cat

O'Toole is a favorite of mine. IMO, *Lawrence of Arabia* is the greatest epic film I have seen. And, *The Ruling Class* is one of my all-time favorite comedies. Well, at least in part, a black comedy. I'm also looking forward to *The Stunt Man*, since I have never seen it. I programmed to record it on both the HD and SD channels, so if they mess up and letterbox it in HD, I can watch the SD version, and zoom it to fill the screen.

*The Stunt Man* was released to DVD in a nice 2 disc set, but is already OOP with prices hovering around the $40.00 mark on Amazon, so yes, recording this film is a must if you don't have it. I'm also a fan of *The Ruling Class*, but that film is a hard sell with some people. I wish TCM could have shown my favorite O'Toole movie *Murphy's War* (1971), but it's on DVD, so I guess I'll cue up the player tonight instead.

I was blown away by Becket twice today. Once by the shear greatness of the film and then by the realization that Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole had 15 Best Actor nominations between and no Oscars to show for them Outrageous! Thankfully, Peter is still with us and will hopefully surprise us with yet another piece of his work.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Aug 29, 2010 12:39 AM

> {quote:title=greenkneehighs wrote:}{quote}

> The reason why is because it's one of Peter O'Toole's first film roles; he wasn't yet a leading man in the movies. But when it came out, a director by the name of David Lean saw it and decided that the young actor playing the "silly **** Englishman" would be perfect for the lead of a movie he was going to film- Lawrence of Arabia

That's not precisely true, since Lean cast Albert Finney as Lawrence; had Finney not walked off the picture a couple of weeks into shooting, forcing Lean and producer Sam Spiegel to scramble to replace their lead in LAWRENCE, O'Toole's career would probably have followed a rather different trajectory.

I know. I know "Night of the Generals" was roasted by critics. Leonard Maltin gave it a *1/2 and proclaimed it a "Dud". And poor old O'Toole was razzed by critics for a robotic performance.I watched the movie and found it really entertaining

NIGHT OF THE GENERALS is the only movie I time-shifted from yesterday's schedule for later viewing. Even if it's terrible, there's still O'Toole, Sharif and Plummer. (And how I hope Coral Browne is in '****' mode!) I had seen just about everything else on the schedule already.

-Arch

Lol, I've heard about eight versions of this story and this is what I've managed to piece together from all of them:

David Lean and Sam Spiegel were having trouble casting the lead for Lawrence of Arabia. Spiegel wanted to cast Marlon Brando, but Lean dreaded the thought of dealing with method acting in the desert. Albert Finney had an amazing screen test (which, from what I heard, still exists in some sort of special collection in England and is apparently is the most requested video from that collection) and was cast, but later dropped out because he didn't feel like filming on location for that long and then accepted the lead in Tom Jones. Many others were also considered, which, when asked about this laundry list of potential Lawrences in later years, Peter O'Toole would quip that "probably Groucho Marx" was considered as well.

Here's where things start deviating, probably in no small part because the teller is usually Peter O'Toole and when he talks he is first and foremost a storyteller. In one version, David Lean went to see The Day They Robbed The Bank Of England and, after seeing O'Toole as Captain Finch (the aforementioned "silly a** Englishman"), decided to audition him for Lawrence. In another version, it was Lean's wife who saw the film that fateful day and told her husband about it. In a third it was Lean's wife's astrologer who saw it and then Lean's wife was chatting about the difficulties of getting the part of Lawrence cast and the astrologer recommended O'Toole. The only conclusive thing we know is that *someone* saw The Day They Robbed The Bank Of England and thought Peter O'Toole was good in it.

I've also read somewhere that O'Toole was originally cast in the part that eventually went to Aldo Ray, but refused it and asked to be given the part as the English captain. No reason is given exactly why, but my guess is that with a name like O'Toole he feared he would be forever typecast as "the Irish guy who has a thing against England and blows up stuff".

So Peter O'Toole was brought in to audition; at the time he was appearing in Hamlet and had dark curly hair and a beard for the role. One of the first questions he was asked is "what's your hair color under all that...stuff." Sam Spiegel did NOT want to audition him at all, as he had previously auditioned O'Toole for something else and supposedly O'Toole was being his usual lovable smart-**** self and that deeply angered Spiegel (I've also heard somewhere that Spiegel got infuriated at the fact that a flask fell out of O'Toole's pocket at some point during the audition for Lawrence , but I've only heard that once). But Lean was persistent and Spiegel eventually folded and allowed the audition to be held. After shaving and bleaching his hair blond (there's also some sources that suggest Lean told O'Toole to get a nose job to look "more English", but more likely than not O'Toole did it because he broke the hell out of his nose playing rugby), Peter O'Toole was given robes that had originally belonged to a king and were eventually cut up to make a dog bed and gave the screen test of a life time. At one point, Spiegel admitted something along the lines of "there's no use wasting any more film-the boy is Lawrence". Thus the part was cast and a legend was born. After breaking his contract for the next play he was supposed to be in (Becket, funnily enough) and signing another one that had a stipulation that his wife had to be flown out to him at least once a month, O'Toole was sent to the desert and one of the most epic movies ever made has begun.

In short, despite the fact that Finney was originally cast, in my mind I can't see any play the part except for Peter O'Toole. It probably just means I need to see more Albert Finney, but whenever I watch Lawrence, my favorite thing is always O'Toole's performance. As to what his career would have been without Lawrence...I don't know, there would probably been a lot more theatre and I heard an interview where he was told in drama school that "he would be the fellow who sticks his head out of the window and asks anyone if it's time for tennis" and he's said he's never had to play that type of part. I think that a kind of a roundabout way of saying he was told he'd play the "upper class twit" roles and while O'Toole definitely has played upper class, they're usually too busy thinking they're Jesus/Jack the Ripper to worry about tennis. :D

Edited by: greenkneehighs on Aug 29, 2010 1:36 PM

I think he overacts in a rather intense way. I can't watch *A Lion in Winter*, because the overacting by the entire cast is just too hard to take. For some reason, people seem to fawn over overacting. I've never understood it. It is far more difficult to play ordinary than extraordinary.

Well in many of his roles he was playing larger than life characters and thus this intense overacting fits the part. I do love how you stated this: I think he overacts in a rather intense way.

I'm not sure if he was intense in how he overacted or if his overacting was intense!

> {quote:title=kaleman wrote:}{quote}

> I know. I know "Night of the Generals" was roasted by critics. Leonard Maltin gave it a *1/2 and proclaimed it a "Dud". And poor old O'Toole was razzed by critics for a robotic performance.I watched the movie and found it really entertaining

If I had seen it, it was so long ago I'd forgotten it. But, I watched the whole thing, and I agree with you. it's no *LoA* to be sure, but a very entertaining and well made film. Great cast, great plot.

I was struck by how much Peter's performance resembled his Jack the Ripper persona in *The Ruling Class*. He seemed so obsessive that he was the obvious suspect from the get-go, yet because it was so obvious, it also seemed it might be a red herring. The flashing back and forth through time, in a 23 year pursuit of justice was an interesting plot device.

Yes, Coral Browne was in full bee-itch mode. She was good, but I prefer her part in *TRC*.

I still have a couple to watch, including *The Stunt Man*, which I have never seen, but Peter's SUTS is definitely my favorite.