Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Slightly OT: Highway Patrol

Since moving, and getting cable, there are 2 channels that show a lot of older programs, including this one. I'd never actually seen it before, and wow, it's pretty good! Every half hour is pretty taut, pretty lurid, pretty ridden with criminal activity and violence. And Broderick Crawford makes a great rough and tough cop. Anyone else enjoy this series? I'm really grooving to it!

• Like 1

My first viewings of Highway Patrol were in the 60's. It was very popular in syndication until it got too dated. It would be many years later when I would get my hands on some boot tapes and eventually a DVD package of the whole series (5 years total). Even today I love this show. The stories are generally tight and a good amount of action all in about 26 minutes of time. Crawford's acting might be a little off the top, but his no nonsense, tough guy approach moves the action along well. And I love the fifties settings and the cars, gives a little noir feel to it. This show and Dragnet set the standard for all the future cop/detective shows that would follow.

Watching "10/4" today, what really amazes me is the amount of violence you see. The show's only 27-28mins long and an average of 1-2 people get shot dead in every episode.

It's held up well in terms of excitement and plot. If Brod gets on the the bad guys quickly, it's because of the time constraint. But the portrayals are tuff.

Edited by: cujas on Aug 31, 2010 6:46 PM

Edited by: cujas on Aug 31, 2010 6:46 PM

The 10-disc Season 1 boxset has arrived from MGM earlier this month, and the video and audio quality is far better than expected. There were so many of the '50s and early '60s shows that pressed the 25-26 minute time-limit. Nowadays, "17" isn't uncommon.

The complete 1960 THRILLER horror anthology series arrived this week, too, and those episodes are 50-52 minutes each.

Both programs appear littered with so many up-and-coming stars, or so many well-known actors from the classics - THRILLER, more than HP, of course, but that's fine. Perhaps the most fun "display the talent" show I've run across is BURKE'S LAW, which has 3-4 classic stars in each episode. A cop-drama that rivals LOVE BOAT for star-appearances.

HP is a definite keeper, and highly recommended. I hope they'll release the remaining four seasons, too.

Thanks for all the feedback regarding this show! I have it on a schedule DVR, so it records it whenever it's on (usually once or twice a day in the wee hours on a channel called THIS, which is one of 2 channels that show more classic TV shows than the lame TVLand). I've really been grooving to it! Hard-hitting crime stories, that really pack a lot into those half hours and I love Broderick Crawford in this!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this series so much--it's much better than I remembered it.

So far I've seen: Ed Nelson, Bob Conrad and Peter Breck in some of their first TV roles; that's interesting.

Also, the aggressive and assertiveness, as well the variety of female characterizations are very unusual for the 1950's.

It's a sharp-tight well-put together 27-28 minutes.

Did you notice Dyan Cannon in the same episode as Robert Conrad? Clint Eastwood as a biker? Barbara Eden gets kidnapped? Joe Flynn (Captain Binghamton) is a ruthless thug. Its great watching these old series and seeing familar faces, even in bit parts.