Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Brasher Doubloon(1947)

I think that Montgomery does a terrible job in the role. Fox had John Payne under contract at the time, he would have been much better.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> I think that Montgomery does a terrible job in the role. Fox had John Payne under contract at the time, he would have been much better.

Clore, I have never seen this film but this is the opinion I have heard echoed over and over again regarding this and a few others (I really need to see this movie). Anyway, Payne was one of the most underused actors with talent over at Fox....I bet Zanuck et al did a "d'oh!" when they saw his work with Phil Karlson.

George Montgomery was still doing his "I wanna be Clark Gable" thing at the time. It's too bad that no one at Fox remembered that once before a guy known for musicals changed his image to become Marlowe when Dick Powell did it. Maybe then they would have thought of John Payne.

I would have mentioned Dana Andrews as a possibility, but this WAS a 72-minute programmer and Andrews was above such things at the time.

The other Montgomery, Robert never appealed to me as Marlowe either. With the first person camera technique used, all one gets is his voice and he tended to play tough guys with a voice that sounded like Bugs Bunny.