Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let's get Bob Dorian on TCM

Remember those "I'm a movie person" ads on AMC?

I kept waiting for the day that someone would come on and say "I'm a movie person. But I like commercials almost as much, so I'm glad that one third of AMC's air time is devoted to commercials. Especially the ones for personal products such as **** extenders, **** pumps (perhaps paid for by Medicaid) and fingertip vibrators. And thank God while these commercials are running, they don't air during movies with sex, violence or swearing. It's so nice that AMC is concerned that my kids might be up at 3am watching with me.

I even like all the little things that crawl on the bottom of my screen to remind me every five minutes that MAD MEN will air tomorrow. I'm also glad that AMC fills up my entire TV screen and doesn't use those black bars."

> {quote:title=talkietime wrote:}{quote}

>

>

> "On Saturday mornings Bob Dorian hosted Movie Palace Memories from a variety of restored movie palaces, including Radio City Music Hall (owned by AMC's corporate entity). There were Betty Boop cartoons and Screen Songs (often mixing animation with a bouncing ball sing along led by popular performers of the day); Popular Science and Unusual Occupations shorts, all originally from Paramount; Fox Movietone or Paramount Eyes and Ears newsreels; Laurel & Hardy and a few other Hal Roach shorts; the next chapter from a cliff-hanger serial; followed by a featured film.

>

I LOVED those "Popular Science" and "Unusual Occupations" shorts! At first I thought that they were going to be dry and dull, but they were so much fun and very enjoyable...and in early color, too!

I just slightly remember the graphics of that old AMC promo. AMC was on my cable

system at the time, long before TCM came along. It's too bad they had to change their

format. Bob Dorian was quite the affable host, much like Uncle Bob, even if he was less

of a film historian, as he himself admitted. Having the two Bobs on TCM might be a

little on the strange side, like one of those Bette Davis twin sisters flicks. A bit spooky.

For Bob Dorian information see:

http://www.apparenting.com/interview_former_amc_tv_host_bob_dorian.html

For Nick Clooney information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Clooney

For Gene Klavan information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Klavan

For John Burke information see:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0992221/

Edited by: talkietime on Sep 4, 2010 12:32 PM

The more I think about this thread, the more I have decided that I need to reverse my original opinion. While I think these hosts were great during their hey-day, their time and place has come and gone. The emphasis should never be on the hosts but on the actual films. It's like getting a new copy of a classic novel...there may be a new foreward or introduction by another editor or writer...but we buy the book (in this case, the movie) based on its original content. A hundred million people can set up the story for us and comment on the production of it, but it is the film itself that attracts us. The film is the centerpiece...the hosts are ultimately frivolous and disposable.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I REALLY LIKE BEN MANKIEWICZ AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ON THESE BOARDS ARE ALWAYS DISSING HIM.

>

1. His manner is incredibly annoying

2. His voice is grating.

3. He dyes his beard jet black.

4. He wears an atrocious rug

Now I understand why people blame Canada.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> Not to Rose McGowan bash but several times I felt she either gushed, or had no clue and was piggy backing off of Rob O's opinion.

>

Didn't she say in one segment that she didn't like Kurosawa, but acknowledged his importance as "an influence on Tarantino"?

But nothing will top Carrie Fisher in the intro for *Hud*. After Osborne's opening bit explaining how great it is, she followed by admitting she has never seen it.

> {quote:title=talkietime wrote:}{quote}

> For Bob Dorian information see:

>

> http://www.apparenting.com/interview_former_amc_tv_host_bob_dorian.html

>

Ah, thanks for this link Talkietime! I never did find anything about him when I have searched in the past. Interesting that both "Bob's" were actors.

Nice that he watches TCM, and bashes the AMC of today.

In a perfect world, AMC would have never changed formats, and would still run Paramount/Universal/Fox films,(Did they run many Columbia films? I don't remember) and TCM would run MGM/RKO/Warner/Columbia

FMC runs some interesting films(sometimes) but when an interesting movie comes on like Quiet Please, Murder, I hate not having some backstory about the film...

RichardKimble wrote:

"1. His manner is incredibly annoying

2. His voice is grating.

3. He dyes his beard jet black.

4. He wears an atrocious rug

Now I understand why people blame Canada. "

This is actually funny. I'm flattered that you quote a South Park song in recognition of my nationality.It is, of course, understood that I just speak for myself on these boards and not for all the other Canadians who read and post on these forums, some of whom may actually dislike Ben Mankiewicz as much as you do.

As to Ben, what do I care if he " wears a rug" or "dyes his beard" ? Are you sure he does, and even if so, what does it matter, and what does it have to do with his abilities as a TCM host?

I do not find his voice grating at all, I like his voice and the way he speaks. "Annoying" is in the eye of the beholder. If we're going to go all nationalistic and generalize about people's standards based on their country of origin, I think too many Americans put too high a value on personal appearance, how someone dresses, what they look like, and so forth. Who cares? As long as they don't look like they smell (and come on, I"m sure Ben may be many things, but surely smelly isn't one of them,) who cares?

Just to wind up here, SmilerGrogan seems to share your opinion:

"you get the impression he doesn't even like classic films with his snarky intro's... "

I'm pretty sensitive to snarky, and I don't get that impression at all from Ben Mankiewicz. Of course he loves classic films, it's obvious in the way he speaks about them and the knowledge he has of them. I can never get over how people on these boards love to criticize the hosts and often everything else surrounding TCM. Why don't we focus on criticizing movies? There's plenty of opportunity to do that on this site, and I've always thought this was more about that then analyizing and dissing the hosts.

Now if you don't mind, I have to go back and put my parka back on. There's a lot of snow out there on that tundra, and we have to clear it for the upcoming hockey game..

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 5, 2010 12:28 PM

Thanks for your usual great insight! I don't mind Ben, I just have a feeling that TCM is reaching out to the younger folks with his, sometimes rather studied, casual attitude. I find him knowledgeable & agree that he obviously does have a love of classical movies. To each his own...

I don't see Ben that often, but he's fine, though I doubt he brings many younger

viewers to the channel. I was never a very good rug spotter, so I don't know if

that's the real deal or not. Either way, he certainly looks presentable. And I

though old Georgie boy looked pretty good with his piece, certainly better than

his Baldylocks look.