Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wheeler and Woolsey Rule! Laurel and Hardy Drool!

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Don't know enough about Wheeler and Woolsey to comment but you couldn't be more wrong about Stan and Ollie.

>

If you're not very familiar with Wheeler & Woolsey, you have the chance to see two of their very best on the 30th on Thelma Todd day.

Check them out and let us know what you think.

I missed all the Wheeler and Woolsey yesterday :(

But I caught one Laurel & Hardy and I have to admit I wasn't too impressed. I think it was because it was after watching the two Marx Brothers movies which made me laugh much more.

Although out of Laurel & Hardy I like Laurel better.

Anyways humor is very subjective. Probably more so than any other form of entertainment.

> think it was because it was after watching the two Marx Brothers movies which made me laugh much more.

That is a very interesting thought. Though I enjoy the Marx Bros and L&H they are very, very different in their comedy. A viewing separate may find a different feeling and it may be they are not your cup of tea.

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> I missed all the Wheeler and Woolsey yesterday :(

>

> But I caught one Laurel & Hardy and I have to admit I wasn't too impressed. I think it was because it was after watching the two Marx Brothers movies which made me laugh much more.

>

> Although out of Laurel & Hardy I like Laurel better.

>

>

> Anyways humor is very subjective. Probably more so than any other form of entertainment.

Which L&H film was it? One of the shorts or one of the features?

Their short films in general are pretty consistently funny, the features can be a bit more hit and miss. Their early features like PARDON US (1931), PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (1932) and SONS OF THE DESERT (1934) are really good. While the two L&H features that TCM ran are fun, the operetta setting is not the really best for them, and yet Hal Roach made four of them: THE ROGUE SONG (1930), FRA DIAVALO (1933) BABES IN TOYLAND (1934) and THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (1936). As a side note, many years ago AMC ran the Spanish language version of PARDON US (DE BOTE UN BOTE), where both L&H speak Spanish. It was quite interesting to hear them speak in another language.

It's so funny...someone who really likes L&H, won't like A&C. Or Vise Versa. Someone who likes the Marx Bros, won't like W&W or the Ritz Brothers. And yet we are a tiny minority of people that even know who these people are today.

I like all of the above, though I really like the Ritz brothers in very small doses...

Next time you are at dinner, ask the waitress or waiter if they have ever heard of let alone seen the Marx Bros, or anyone else mentioned. It will truly depress you....My Dad will mention Clark Gable, and "they" don't even know who he is! :(

Ziggyelman, I'm with you! I love all those comedy teams, to varying degrees! Ritz Bros, like you, in smaller doses, but I totally dig LH, WW, Marx Bros, Stooges, and AC! All of them are funny in their own way, and all of them were in films that are hilarious and some films that are less so, but still fun to watch them go through their paces.

*" I caught one Laurel & Hardy and I have to admit I wasn't too impressed. I think it was because it was after watching the two Marx Brothers movies which made me laugh much more."* kinokima

Don't give up yet. On September 20th, TCM is premiering a "pristine transfer" of Laurel & Hardy's *Way Out West* done by the UCLA Film And Television Archives. It looks beautiful. And Stan Laurel's tickle-induced laughing jag is highly infectious.

*"...out of Laurel & Hardy I like Laurel better."*

Then we should be lobbying to see films like this on TCM -

4950355180_e86f032537_m.jpg

Stan Laurel had a career all his own before being paired with Oliver Hardy. (Actually, so did Hardy.) And I would love to see what he was like before the partnership.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote} While the two L&H features that TCM ran are fun, the operetta setting is not the really best for them,

I agree. I am a big fan of L&H, but can't stand the operettas. My favorite L&H feature is *A Chump at Oxford*, and the 37m *Beau Hunks* is my other top L&H favorite. But, generally, their earlier stuff is best.

SONS OF THE DESERT and WAY OUT WEST are generally considered their best features. I also have a soft spot for OUR RELATIONS, PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES and BLOCKHEADS. I recently watched THE BOHEMIAN GIRL and Mae Busch stole the picture! I like all of their Hal Roach stuff, but I'm not a big fan of A CHUMP AT OXFORD. But I love that Peter Cushing is in it!