Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

T-h-e-l-m-a: August 30th

MyFavoriteFilms

Thelma_Todd_in_Corsair_1.jpg

I feel bad for our Canadian friends who are being given Bob Mitchum instead (though he's a nice consolation prize).

_With Joe E. Brown_

6:00 AM *BROADMINDED (1931)*

7:15 AM *SON OF A SAILOR (1933)*

_With Charley Chase_

8:30 AM *THE REAL MCCOY (1930)*

9:00 AM *WHISPERING WHOOPEE (1930)*

9:30 AM *DOLLAR DIZZY (1930)*

10:00 AM *HIGH C'S (1930)*

10:30 AM *THE PIP FROM PITTSBURG (1931)*

11:00 AM *THE NICKEL NURSER (1932)*

_With Wheeler & Woolsey_

11:30 AM *HIPS, HIPS, HOORAY (1934)*

12:45 PM *COCKEYED CAVALIERS (1934)*

_With ZaSu Pitts_

2:00 PM *CATCH AS CATCH CAN (1931)*

2:30 PM *RED NOSES (1932)*

3:00 PM *SHOW BUSINESS (1932)*

3:30 PM *ASLEEP IN THE FEET (1933)*

4:00 PM *MAIDS A LA MODE (1933)*

4:30 PM *BARGAIN OF THE CENTURY (1933)*

_With Patsy Kelly_

5:00 PM *SOUP AND FISH (1934)*

5:30 PM *ONE HORSE FARMERS (1934)*

6:00 PM *OPENED BY MISTAKE (1934)*

6:30 PM *SING SISTER SING (1935)*

7:00 PM *HOT MONEY (1935)*

7:30 PM *TOP FLAT (1935)*

_With the Marx Bros_

8:00 PM *MONKEY BUSINESS (1931)*

9:30 PM *HORSE FEATHERS (1932)*

_With Laurel & Hardy_

10:45 PM *ANOTHER FINE MESS (1930)*

11:30 PM *CHICKENS COME HOME (1931)*

12:15 AM *THE DEVIL'S BROTHER (1933)*

2:00 AM *THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (1936)*

_Dramatic roles_

3:15 AM *THE MALTESE FALCON (1931)*

4:45 AM *MARY STEVENS M.D. (1933)*

WHAT? This is ridiculous! I can understand (just barely) a film not having the "rights" to be shown in another country. One film. The odd movie, now and then, ok, " rights" issues. But an entire actress?! How could that be? Oh, maybe all Thelma Todd's movies were made for the same studio, with the same terms?? Fortunately, although I have nothing against the lady, I'm not a hard core Thelma Todd fan. But that's not really the point. The point is, why should the all the films featuring one actor or actress -especially one from so long ago- be restricted from being shown in another country? I so don't get this stuff.

(Still, I love Robert Mitchum. I wonder how they figured, "Yeah, no rights to how Thelma Todd in Canada. No problem, we'll substitute Mitch, they're almost the same...")

Supposedly, Hal Roach films cannot be shown in Canada due to rights issues. I understand that.

But her dramatic roles were not produced by Roach's company. Also, her work with the Marx Brothers was produced by Paramount. I would think that they ('they' being TCM Canada's programmers) could've done at least half a day of Thelma and then put some Patsy Kelly feature films or ZaSu Pitts feature films on instead.

The flip side is that U.S. viewers get cheated out of a day of Mitchum's best.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> WHAT? This is ridiculous!

Someone in the media told me years ago, when I worked in West Hollywood, that this was caused by some contracts reading ?all American rights? and others reading ?all North American rights? (meaning the US and Canada). American buyers were mainly interested in buying only American rights, while American sellers could sometimes get a little more money for a product by selling ?American rights? first and then later selling ?Canadian rights? separately. Canada didn?t have a large enough population to bother purchasing rights to all American films, so a lot of them never had their rights licensed to Canada. At least, that?s what I was told.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> Is there a link to your schedule? I'd like to see which Mitchum flicks are getting aired tomorrow in Canada.

>

Here's the Canadian schedule for August 30 -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=8/30/2010&timezone=EST&cid=CAN

It's nice that as fillers they're including a couple "TravelTalks" shorts with Canadian settings.

Thanks. I noticed that it says TCM Canada, instead of Summer Under the Stars, right before the primetime line-up. That's interesting.

I would love to be able to see some of those...CRY HAVOC is one that has not aired in a long time...the ones with Jane Russell and Linda Darnell also look good, and I don't have those recorded. I'm jealous. LOL

P.S. I don't know if you can see the U.S. schedule for tomorrow...here's the link for it:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=8/30/2010&timezone=PST&cid=N

annelovestcm, are you Canadian? I know there must be a lot of us who at least read these forums, and I know for sure there are many Canadians who watch Turner Classic Movies. I seem to have unintentionally taken it upon myself to be the official resident "Canadian" poster here, but that's only because sometimes issues (like the film rights thing) come up that make me aware that most of our fansite friends here are Yanks ( including the good people in the Southern U.S.) Sometimes I worry that other Canadian readers are rolling their eyes while I'm going on about some difference (could be anything) between Canadians and Americans. I never meant to take on a role of unofficial "spokesperson" for Canadian TCM viewers; now that I know for sure there are others out there, I'll let them point out programming differences, etc. :)

ps -Don't know what part of Canada you're from, but wondered if you were thinking of attending the Toronto Film Festival this year.

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 29, 2010 8:36 PM

I'm also a Canadian TCM fan [Hamilton Ontario]. I've been a forum member for nearly three years, but don't post much. I feel your pain--I've been frustrated a lot, seeing movies scheduled that turned out to be unavailable here. The latest one was DIABOLIQUE. I really wanted a copy of that, and am still debating on whether to spend $35 at Amazon for it. Still, thank goodness for TCM. We don't have any other dedicated 'classic movie' channels here.

Incidentally, I was looking ahead on my DVR guide, and I noticed that one of these Roach comedies with Thelma Todd will get re-aired on the morning of Sept 7th. THE REAL MCCOY has been scheduled during that time, plus another Charley Chase short that Thelma does not appear in, called YOUNG IRONSIDES.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> Incidentally, I was looking ahead on my DVR guide, and I noticed that one of these Roach comedies with Thelma Todd will get re-aired on the morning of Sept 7th. THE REAL MCCOY has been scheduled during that time, plus another Charley Chase short that Thelma does not appear in, called YOUNG IRONSIDES.

>

And sure enough they're not on the Canadian schedule. Instead, Canada gets the 1936 movie HERE COMES CARTER.