Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

T-h-e-l-m-a: August 30th

MyFavoriteFilms

MFF, I'm totally in favor of that suggestion! A great idea for a Sat morning!

In fact, I'm digging the Bowery Boys slot every Saturday, but I think a GREAT idea is one I've heard on this board in the past---a Sat morning block of shorts, classic cartoons, a serial chapter, and a series film. That would be so cool!!

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> I think they should start a Saturday or Sunday afternoon matinee on TCM where they show only short films for an hour or two. There are so many that don't get seen. I'm glad TCM showed these ones with Thelma Todd today. But this is just a drop in the bucket.

You mean similarly to how they air the Bowery Boys films in the 10:30AM slot (it returns in Sept)?

I suppose. I was thinking more along the lines of an early afternoon matinee. One hour where they feature three or four short films from the Roach studios (sorry, Canadians). I'd like to see the OUR GANG shorts, all the Charley Chase shorts, and so on. Maybe we could also get some Pickford short films and early Chaplin and Roscoe Arbuckle.

The serials (like FLASH GORDON and BUCK ROGERS) could be shown on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I really love the ones with her and Patsy...I think they are truly on a roll...and I think Patsy is more the opposite of Thelma, and the contrast adds a lot to the comedy. Don't get me wrong, I love ZaSu Pitts, too.

I could not stop thinking about how much Patsy Kelly reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell (and vice-versa). I think Thelma's part could be played by Meg Ryan today. I'd love to see Rosie and Meg do another film together (they were in SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE) and in the vein of these Todd-Kelly shorts.

I liked MARY STEVENS, M.D. more than I thought I would. I expected something cheap and forgettable; background to fall asleep to. In fact, it's intriguing, intelligent and well played. I love the no nonsense, no apologies approach to what I can only assume was controversial material. Even today I was shocked! I'm not terribly familiar with Kay Francis, but I like what I've seen. She's terrific in this one. This no budget, pre-code (?) drama is well worth a look.

> {quote:title=ArchieCarstairs wrote:}{quote}

> I DVD'd this one and am looking forward to watching it. I love Kay's Pre-Codes, and Thelma is a bonus.

I agree, Arch! I'm also going to have to catch it from the DVR later. Prince, I agree, awesome stuff!

I wish they would put more of these pre-codes out on DVD sometime! I feel there is still a pretty big audience for the pre-code stuff!

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> If memory serves, Thelma made 17 shorts with ZaSu Pitts and 21 with Patsy Kelly.

Thelma and Zasu first appeared together in Billie Dove's HER PRIVATE LIFE (FN, 1929). I don't know if they shared any scenes or even if this early talkie still survives. But I sure would like to see it (Billie's leading man was Walter Pidgeon).

> MARY STEVENS, M.D. is a terrific pre-Code, especially regarding marital infidelity, unplanned pregnancies and the possibility of abortion. The film was denied Code approval in 1936. Did it ever play on television prior to TNT in 1988?

>

Yes, it's been part of the pre-1948 package of Warner Bros. features ever since they were first syndicated by United Artists Television in March 1956. Whether a local station that purchased the package chose to run or withhold that or any other potentially controversial title would of course be up to them.

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > If memory serves, Thelma made 17 shorts with ZaSu Pitts and 21 with Patsy Kelly.

> Thelma and Zasu first appeared together in Billie Dove's HER PRIVATE LIFE (FN, 1929). I don't know if they shared any scenes or even if this early talkie still survives.

>

No, unfortunately that one is pretty much confirmed lost.

Watched a few of her short films with the likes of Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers the other day and have to say she is a pretty underrated actress and very attractive for her day also.

It's a shame that she died so young. Her, Ann Sheridan, and Marilyn Monroe all died when they were pretty young.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Musicalnovelty-I'm so sorry to hear of your cable issues! I hope it came back on before prime-time hit?

>

Mark,

Thanks for the concern.

But actually the cable stayed out for almost SIX HOURS!! on Thelma Todd night.

Out of dutiful loyalty to TCM (and of course also to Thelma Todd) I kept the TV on all through the outage while doing other things., and noticed that occasionally the picture would flicker back on for a few seconds, then glitch away again into pixilation hell, then black screen.

Sure, I'd seen all the films before, but still, this is not what we pay our expensive cable bills for.

Naturally, this couldn't have happened during Peter O'Toole Day or Clint Eastwood Day, both during which I had the TV off all day and night. Or, I guess if it had, I wouldn't have known anyway!

Oh man, that stinks, I'm sorry that happened!

I've had that happen to me before also, when there was a morning of rare pre-codes about a year or so ago, the cable went out all morning and only came back when the block was over! Well, I hope TCM will consider airing Thelma flix again sometime very soon!