Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What a drag: Men who dress like women in movies

Ray Bolger in Where's Charlie? which I don't think has been shown on TV in years. Also, there is a movie with Alice Faye and the Ritz Brothers. She sings "Let's Go Slumming," and then they come out in the same outfit she has on and do the number. Can't remember the name of film, but they were hilarious. Cary Grant in I Was a Male War Bride.

> {quote:title=rosebette wrote:}{quote}

>There is a movie with Alice Faye and the Ritz Brothers. She sings "Let's Go Slumming," and then they come out in the same outfit she has on and do the number. Can't remember the name of film, but they were hilarious.

>

That was ON THE AVENUE (1937).

More info here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029345/combined

And there's always _Glen or Glenda?_ And wasn't one of Tom Hanks first starring roles on TV in that show about the guys who dress up as girls to get into an all-female low-rent apartment? What was that called? I though it was silly, but it did have a Billy Joel doing the theme song, so it wasn't all bad.

That Powell/Loy movie (sorry, don't remember which one) where Powell gets dolled up and pretends to be Auntie somebody (mustache and all). Remember? His/her outfit gets caught on a record player's turntable and unravels. Very funny.

Then there's Cary in Katharine's peignoir (Bringing Up Baby) jumping up and down and explaining why he's dressed like that says something about turning "gay" all of a sudden...

I have to wonder if some of humor is because men are clueless about women's clothes. Men's clothes are very simple. They look upon women's clothes as mysterious oddities. Idea of man putting on longline which hooks in back and dress which zips up back is funny in itself. Can you say contortions?

I think men in drag has always been staple of British humor. For Americans it must be extreme to be funny.

One imponderable of the world is why it is a+ bra but pair+ of panties. :)

Maybe some of it is nervous laughter? It's easier to make fun of it than address the fact that there may be latent homosexual tendencies in some of our more masculine role models. Of course, some guys are confident in their sexuality and can spoof it with ease...but many cannot, and many audiences don't want to look at it that way.

Have we forgotten that until about 400 years or so ago women were not allowed on stage? Their roles were played by young boys or men of slight stature. People seemed to accept that. I?m certain some of them were exploited by the stronger men or used this to gain advantages but there were no Inquirers or Confidentials to broadcast it-or were there? Drag does seem to invoke stronger responses; to our culture it seems to be more ?unnatural? than the reverse.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> Have we forgotten that until about 400 years or so ago women were not allowed on stage?

That touches on one of my peeves. Every time they cast a woman as Lady Macbeth or Ophelia they are showing disrespect for Shakespeare who wrote those parts for young men. Difference between effeminate man and testosterone-laden actress is small but it is definitely present and ruins modern performances.

Can't forget Wendell Corey in The Killer is Loose. Here's Wendell (the killer) on a suburban street at night disguised as a woman walking right by the cops who were doing surveillance looking for him. Rhonda Fleming co-starring in that movie said Wendell in drag scared her.

Then there was Norman Bates as mother...

wouldbestar, a famous and respected Shakespeare theatre festival (The Stratford Shakespeare Festival) has just released their line-up for 2011. They're doing Richard III; and guess what? In a reversal of what they did in Shakespeare's time, they're casting a woman as the discontented Richard.

Here's a link if you're interested, although it doesn't give much information at this point:

http://stratfordfestivalreviews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=385

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 6, 2010 10:44 AM

The movie "The Dress Code" (2000), renamed "Bruno" which starred Alex D. Lintz an 8 year old Catholic student who beleived that if he wore dresses, he would win the national spelling bee in which he eventually did. This movie also stars Shirley MacLaine who also directed the movie, she outdid herself in this one, lol!

bruno2.JPG

e99fe562ee62792f4c3397b1a6d5a051.jpg

Interesting...one to look for...and Shirley MacLaine is always great.

I was reading up on the BLONDIE movie series...and I guess in one of them (BLONDIE GOES LATIN), Dagwood (Arthur Lake) appears in drag during a musical number on a cruise to South America. Supposedly, it is very funny-- at least that is one what reviewer says.

*Can't forget Wendell Corey in The Killer is Loose. Here's Wendell (the killer) on a suburban street at night disguised as a woman walking right by the cops who were doing surveillance looking for him. Rhonda Fleming co-starring in that movie said Wendell in drag scared her.*

*Then there was Norman Bates as mother...*

And isn't Ross Martin in drag at one point in EXPERIMENT IN TERROR? (Been a few years since I watched it.)

Interesting that men in women';s clothes are either scary or funny but never sexy.

On the other hand, a woman in men's clothes, say Dietrich in a tuxedo or a naval uniform...

• 4 weeks later...

I rented CHARLEY'S AUNT thru Netflix.

1183801762_1.jpg

It's based on a classic play. I wasn't entirely sold on the premise at first...but an hour into it, I changed my mind. Benny's mannerisms are priceless, but his voice is obviously too low to fool anyone...

A young Anne Baxter is beautiful to watch. And the cast also includes Laird Cregar. But since I'm a Kay Francis junkie, my attention was on her. And she's great as always.

E5OAF00Z.jpg