Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

O'TOOLE THE MAGNIFICENT!

spencerl964

I have followed his career with interest through the years & have read his two autobios, "Loitering With Intent" & "The Apprentice." both very good reads. His writing style is quirky, showing his strong personality better than the movies can. I loved him in "How to Steal a Million" & have seen him on Broadway. I do wish TCM would interview him, he's now 77/78, & we can only say thanks to him & TCM for giving him a "day."

> {quote:title=clearskies wrote:}{quote}

> I have followed his career with interest through the years & have read his two autobios, "Loitering With Intent" & "The Apprentice." both very good reads. His writing style is quirky, showing his strong personality better than the movies can. I loved him in "How to Steal a Million" & have seen him on Broadway. I do wish TCM would interview him, he's now 77/78, & we can only say thanks to him & TCM for giving him a "day."

I hope that at this time they haven't done a Private Screenings with him because he was reluctant or unavailable rather than never having asked him at all. I was surprised that Ernest Borgnine did his in his 90s.

A few years ago, O'Toole was Charlie Rose's guest on PBS. A fascinating and detailed look at a truly remarkable actor. As much as I admire his portrayal of kings and leaders, he is at his most sensitive in quiet, offbeat roles. MY FAVORITE YEAR, THE RULING CLASS and his career topping GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS. The movie's not much. But it's arguably the best acting I've ever seen.

I don't think I've seen him in anything I didn't like. *The Ruling Class* and *Lawrence of Arabia* have to be my favorites. It strikes me that he often plays obsessive characters, sometimes borderline, sometimes WAY past it. I just saw *The Stunt Man* for the first time. I liked it, and it bears watching again, soon.

True, I saw the screening with Borgnine & it was wondereful. I have a feeling that O'Toole perhaps has not aged well, he was quite a long time carouser. However, I do hope that TCM tries or tries harder to get him. Who do we contact about this? Anybody know?

> {quote:title=clearskies wrote:}{quote}

> True, I saw the screening with Borgnine & it was wondereful. I have a feeling that O'Toole perhaps has not aged well, he was quite a long time carouser. However, I do hope that TCM tries or tries harder to get him. Who do we contact about this? Anybody know?

Don't know how to contact Mr. O'Toole but as far as not aging well, according to the Getty Images search I just did, he was looking okay back in January 2010....out and about on the read carpet and on the street with no assistant, no cane, etc....I really wish he'd do an interview with Rob O. for TCM!

wow, greenknees, you really like this guy. I'm wondering if you ever saw the Saturday Night Live sketch about him, two or three years ago when he was up for an honourary Oscar. They really played up his haminess and his drunken ways, but in an affectionate way. Anyone who knows anything about O'Toole would have thought it was funny, no offensive. Can't remember who played O'Toole, though.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> wow, greenknees, you really like this guy. I'm wondering if you ever saw the Saturday Night Live sketch about him, two or three years ago when he was up for an honourary Oscar. They really played up his haminess and his drunken ways, but in an affectionate way. Anyone who knows anything about O'Toole would have thought it was funny, no offensive. Can't remember who played O'Toole, though.

I probably would have enjoyed this! Were they doing a younger or older O'Toole impersonation. I am going to search for it on youtube!

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}

> wow, greenknees, you really like this guy. I'm wondering if you ever saw the Saturday Night Live sketch about him, two or three years ago when he was up for an honourary Oscar. They really played up his haminess and his drunken ways, but in an affectionate way. Anyone who knows anything about O'Toole would have thought it was funny, no offensive. Can't remember who played O'Toole, though.{quote}

Lol, I actually wanted to post these pics earlier, but I was busy moving into my dorm and going to classes. He is my favorite leading man and watching Lawrence of Arabia convinced me that maybe old movies weren't as boring as all my friends said they were and began my love of classic cinema that continue to this day. Also, reading his books (which are awesome) got me to check out Ulysses, Yeats poetry, Irish history, the history of the theatre, T.E. Lawrence, and Shakespeare's sonnets and plays, so I owe him that. And actually I LOVE that sketch (acted by the amazing Bill Hader, who is so wasted on that show) and it inspired me to check out more on Peter O'Toole (it was actually like "Lol, who is this guy? He's crazy! I LOVE IT!"). Then, a while later, I was sitting at home watching the Academy Awards the year he was nominated for Venus, a bit sulky because my high school had lost this big state wide drama competition. There was this film at the beginning where they were talking to all the nominees and he was up first. I remember they asked him "Why didn't you win the Oscar for Lawrence of Arabia ?" and he just stared at the camera and said "Because someone else won it" as if it was nothing at all. And that really stuck with me: here's a guy whose been nominated eight times without a win and while he has every right to sit there and obsess about it, he doesn't. He just lets it roll off his shoulders and works harder next time; in practically everything he's in he's the best thing in it, until its become a point that there is something extremely wrong with the Academy Awards that they failed to give him an Oscar for at least ONE of his legendary performances. So the next day I went back to school and while everyone else in my drama club was all like "Waahh, we lost!", I just shut up and went to work on the musical. I try to make that a point in everything I do. The point isn't if you won the award, it's if you know that you worked the hardest and gave the best performance you possibly could.

Lol, sorry if that sounded a bit preachy and if I didn't exactly get what I wanted to say across especially well, my that's my feelings. Plus, while I've searched high and low for that SNL sketch, I've never been able to find the video. However, I do have the link to the transcript: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/06/06bupdate.phtml . And for kicks, here's another Peter O'Toole pic:

4240809399_18e606391f.jpg

"'Sup, camel?"

Edited by: greenkneehighs on Sep 7, 2010 7:08 PM