Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WOW! Judex is fantastic! Best pre-1920s film I've ever seen, and I really liked Birth of a Nation. Can't wait to see the rest. Seriously, TCM, do you have to spread it out over the length of an ENTIRE month??? You DO love to torture us...

I agree that watching Judex over three weeks is better than a marathon broadcast. Afterall, it is a serial and that is how it was intended to be watched. Does anyone know whether this French serial was originally distributed a chapter at a time like American serials?

That first installment of JUDEX was pretty cool, huh? Can't wait for the next one. If you like JUDEX, maybe TCM will air director Louis Feuillade's other popular serial LES VAMPIRES (1915). It is also really good. I heard TCM aired the serial years ago, before I had TCM on my cable system. If JUDEX does well, maybe they'll re-air LES VAMPIRES.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Judex has finished its run, what did everyone think of it? Generally, I liked it, although it may have been a little plodding at times. It was sure a prototype of the serial genre. I liked all the things you'd expect in a good serial: the aliases, the disguises, the secret rooms, the chases, the mistaken identities, the dumb henchmen, the futuristic devices, the mysterious avenger, the apparent demise of the villain, and comedy relief that was actually kind of funny and not dead weight around the hero's neck.

Judex also had a fair amount of the silliness that seemed to creep into serials. For example, wasn't it convenient that Daisy Torp (the Water Goddess) was wearing her swimsuit under her overcoat when she went out for an evening stroll along the beach with Cincontin. By the way, I think that swimsuit would have been considered indecent at most American beaches in 1917. Also, the ship wasn't even out of the harbor when the evil Diane had the tied up man she thought was Judex thrown overboard. In fact, just seconds later, a small boat passes beside the ship. So much for trying to hide her evil deed. Maybe not silliness but more a sign of the time: at first Cincontin was "smitten" by Daisy but after they kissed, he always referred to her as his "fiancee."

I hope the serial had decent ratings and that TCM will consider broadcasting other silent serials.