Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"

Has TCM ever aired a print with the extra 22 minutes of restored footage? I would think they would..and should! I'd like to catch Robert Osborne on one of his many off days and see how he fares when he's asked that one. But since he's not here I'll settle for a reasonably cognizant response from tcmprogrammer..that is if he's got one. Why would the cinematic worshippers running TCM not opt to air a restored print of this film as opposed to an older incomplete print? Call me impulsive but I would very much like to see that extra 22 minutes of footage...especially as it could only help to improve the overall comedic impact of the film. Stanley Kramer would want it...and so do I.

> {quote:title=Stanislaus_Grazaba wrote:}{quote}

>

> Call me impulsive

>

> but I would very much like to see that extra 22 minutes of footage...especially as it could only help to improve the overall comedic impact of the film.

Well, Impulsive, I think they could improve the overall comedic impact by removing at least an hour and a half more of the footage from the film.

*TCM has only and IS STILL only showing the 154 min. edited version. The restored version is 174 min. long.*

It certainly felt like the long version, with the musical walk-in music, the break for the intermission musical interlude and a run time over 180 minutes which imdb identifies as the laserdisc version.

Another 22 minutes of Ethel screaming on top of that would cause me to hurl my TV out the window.

Edited by: lzcutter for clarity

It's been so long since I've seen the 174-min version and no longer recall the 4 or 5 scenes that had padded moments to them. The on-line descriptions I've found weren't evocative enough for my peabrain's memory, but I remember reading there were perhaps four versions in theaters during the first few years of release - all varying lengths.

If ONLY Ridley Scott was in charge of this - we could have Theatrical Versions 1-4, Director's Cut version 1, Director's Cut Special Edition, Final Director's Cut and I've already read that Ridley's pondering several Anniversary cuts as well.

If ONLY he was doing MAD MAD instead-! Mad Mad Blade Runner, anyone?

Granted, izcutter, it's a lousy movie but I do think TCM ought to air the complete film especially when Osborne and company always seem to make so much noise about how such connoisseurs of filmdom they are. I mean how brilliant and intuitive do you have to be to figure out that viewers JUST MIGHT want to see the restored print of this movie. Having never purchased it on video I have never seen the extra 22 minutes of footage. I keep hoping every time they schedule this they will finally air the restored print.Thus far they have lacked the basic intuition to have done so. Are Osborne & company at TCM idiots?

They ran a version that clocked in at over 180 minutes that included the walk-in music and the intermission musical interlude.

Imdb says that the 182 minute version (which TCM ran, because I watched every painful minute of its slightly over three hour running time) is the laser disc version and is considered the most comprehensive cut. It was in a three hour plus scheduled time, not two hours and a half.

It definitely wasn't the 154 minute version which would put it at a much shorter version.

Are you saying there is another?

*I came in at the end yesterday so maybe they did run it*

It sounds like you have been waiting awhile to see it. It's too bad you missed it.

As I said, it was in a three hour plus time frame, with less than 15 minutes of promos between the end of *Madx4* and the beginning of *The Essentials* and not almost 40 minutes of promos between the two.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

>

> Another 22 minutes of Ethel screaming on top of that would cause me to hurl my TV out the window.

>

I agree!

I realize she's a professional actress playing a role, but her voice has always seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the movie.

>>Well, Impulsive, I think they could improve the overall comedic impact by removing at least an hour and a half more of the footage from the film.

I would sooner use a steel wool pad for a washcloth and coarse sandpaper for a towel than watch this film again.

<< If they finally did air the restored version it took them long enough. >>

TCM has been airing the 181-minute version since at least 2002, and probably way before that. Not sure what you're talking about, OP.

This is the version from 1991 that restored 27 minutes of missing footage to the film (including the overture, intermission, and exit music). It's the only version of "Mad World" I've ever seen on TCM.

> {quote:title=Stanislaus_Grazaba wrote:}{quote}

> Has TCM ever aired a print with the extra 22 minutes of restored footage? I would think they would..and should! I'd like to catch Robert Osborne on one of his many off days and see how he fares when he's asked that one. But since he's not here I'll settle for a reasonably cognizant response from tcmprogrammer..that is if he's got one. Why would the cinematic worshippers running TCM not opt to air a restored print of this film as opposed to an older incomplete print? Call me impulsive but I would very much like to see that extra 22 minutes of footage...especially as it could only help to improve the overall comedic impact of the film. Stanley Kramer would want it...and so do I.

It amazes me the attitudes, sly comments etc that some people join this board to post. You'd fare better becoming a millionaire by some method and just purchasing some of these unedited, restored, black listed, etc films on your own from studios or private collectors - or from Kramer's estate. It's funny how an adult can't even give a criticism/complaint/suggestion straight forward without all the double talk etc. Give me a break. You'll get further having some humility and tact about this....although if this movie is any longer I'll scream!