Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Apparently Dean Stockwell was scheduled to appear at DragonCon (or whatever it's called) in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend. I wonder if he happened to tape a Private Screenings while he was there, because I've been wanting Robert to interview him for ages. Does anyone know anything about this at all or is it just a fantasy in my mind?

The first time I knowingly saw Dean Stockwell was in David Lynch's *Blue Velvet*, as a very weird and very scary character. He was even creepier than the Dennis Hopper character, and if you've seen this film you know that's really saying something.

That' s not to say I didn't like him in that role- he was most impressive. And very far from his childhood roles.

I watched *The Happy Years* (1950) again recently, starring Dean Stockwell. It's such an enjoyable film with a great cast. Takes place in turn-of-the-century New Jersey. Directed by William Wellman, whose son has a very peculiar bit part as a church bell ringer. Would be perfect on a "double bill" with *Ah, Wilderness!*

An excellent actor. He did two well made westerns with Joel McCrea. "Stars in My Crown" and "Cattle Drive" sort of a western "Captains Courageous". Also his Academy Awatd nomination for Best Supporting actor "Married to the Mob"....

I'm glad you mentioned CATTLE DRIVE...I think that film should be shown to children in schools...it's a great example of character building in youth. And the comparison you draw to CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS is apt. Dean is also great in THE SECRET GARDEN, where his character is forced to change and grow up a bit. And THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR where a kid learns something about himself and how he fits into society.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Hey, people, he wasn't just a child actor. He's made more movies as an adult than he did as a child. I'm just sayin'...

True, I've seen him recently in a Hallmark Channel movie. He also was one of the student murderers Orson Welles' character represented in the trial in the film COMPULSION (1959) and was about 23 or 24 at the time. He co-starred with a young Bradford Dillman.

Agreed. Dean has a very big fan base in recent years due to his work on Quantum Leap, plus his recent work on the revamp of Battlestar Galactica. I became a fan of his through Quantum Leap and discovered more of his work that he did as a child star since then. At least he is still keeping busy with all of the projects and guest appearances and there are the rumors running rampant that a Quantum Leap movie is in the works. I had him as a Private Screenings candidate when I compiled my challenge two times ago since I felt they need to interview him with the extensive work he has done over the years in both film and television. One of the few child stars that did not let the system consume them and destroy them like so many others.

~Donna :)

"You're the detective. Don't ask me for answers."

~ Jarvis Goodland (Ray Milland) ~ Columbo: The Greenhouse Jungle

"I never discuss business before dinner."

~Jean Lafitte (Fredric March) ~ The Buccaneer (1938)

"Having some trouble Mr. DA?"

~Joe Lilac (Dana Andrews) ~ Ball of Fire (1942)

"If you're not gonna electrocute me on the spot, I think I'll run along."

~Joel Sloane (Robert Montgomery) ~ Fast and Loose (1939)

"This is the way I like to do business. Quickly and to the point."

~Britt Reid/The Green Hornet (Van Williams) ~ The Green Hornet: Trouble for Prince Charming

"What are you smoking, Matthews? Cornsilk?"

~Boston **** (Chester Morris) ~ Boston **** and the Law (1946)

I was looking up film adaptations of Eugene O'Neill plays...and it was interesting to see that Dean had been cast as a young version of O'Neill in the film LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT. Kate Hepburn plays his mother. It's nearly a three-hour film but I put it on my Netflix queue...in the early 60s, I guess Dean would've been twenty-something.