Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 10 People Searches on TCM database

MyFavoriteFilms

Does anyone else check this? I have been monitoring this all summer...

For many days this summer, these people kept making it into the top 10 list:

IRENE DUNNE, remarkable since only LIFE WITH FATHER was in heavy rotation on TCM, and it's been awhile since THE MUDLARK aired on FMC.

BARBARA STANWYCK, also remarkable since she has not had any films in rotation on TCM since mid-July.

CARY GRANT, his films were pretty much absent in August on TCM.

BETTE DAVIS, also not very visible in recent months on TCM.

Now, there will be the occasional number one, like a Thelma Todd or a Kim Novak, when TCM devotes a day of movies to them. But then they quickly drop from the list. But Dunne, Stanwyck, Grant and Davis have been the most consistently searched stars this summer.

This tells me who the most popular are, and that sometimes the programmers are out of touch with what the public wants to see. I definitely do not think they want to see MISS MEND have a repeat viewing, all four plus hours of it.

http://www.tcm.com:80/tcmdb/index.jsp#top10Search

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.10.2010_

*Barbara Stanwyck continues her reign in the top ten people searches on the TCM database. Her recently screened western THE GREAT MAN'S LADY remains one of the top ten searched titles.*

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/index.jsp#top10Search

Meanwhile, Bette Davis has dropped off the list. Very few of her films have been seen on the classic film channel since early this summer.

errol-flynn-7.jpg

Fellow Warners contract player Errol Flynn is the most searched individual...with the exception of a brief musical number in THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS last week, he has not had a TCM airing in a month.

I think Vivien and GONE WITH THE WIND are appearing on the list because of all the commercials we are seeing on TCM with her as Scarlett. Once again this proves that with on-going exposure, a star will become forever identified with one iconic role at the expense of the rest of her filmography. One can understand why Ingrid Bergman grew to dislike CASABLANCA.

Clark Gable also makes it on to the list, no doubt buoyed by the interest in WIND.

In other news, Ida Lupino makes an appearance. Her film HIGH SIERRA has been advertised heavily by TCM in recent days. Costar Humphrey Bogart places a few notches higher than her.

*Looking ahead: Will Bette rebound? How will tonight's broadcast of A SONG TO REMEMBER place on the list tomorrow?*

For your play by play analysis of what's hot on the database, this is MyFavoriteFilms.

I do follow this some but as note it changes due to what TCM is pushing at the time.

I'm more interested in the most viewed and most commented stars and movies in the Fan Community. To me this is more of a reflection of what stars and movies are most popular (the ones classic movie fans are most interested in).

But it is clear to me that system can be 'gamed' since Karl Malden is the most viewed star. Hey I think Kark is great but he is more of a second tier actor (more than a character actor but not a major star like Bogie, Wayne, Cooper etc...).

Funny you mention Flynn and his looks. Flynn is one of the most viewed stars and I feel this is more about his looks than his ability as an actor or the quality of his movies. Now I really enjoy Flynn but he was only to star in high quality movies for a short time span due to his lifestyle. But of course he is one of the most viewed because he one of the most handsome men to ever (my wife say even more so than Cary Grant). Now Grant is #1 (well after Malden!), and that make total sense to me. He was darn handsome but also has a great legacy.

james, you make some great points. I particularly agree with what you had to say about Cary Grant and I think I definitely am guilty of being more captured by Flynn's looks than his work - although he appears in one of my favorite films, THE SUN ALSO RISES, where he is older, but I just think his character is great in it.

Reading the suggested films and comments are interesting for a variety of reasons. Most recently, someone who I guess may be a new Kubrick fan requested 2001 and even said that they know that it's coming up at the end of December but can't they just bump something off the schedule and air it before then. It's obvious that person isn't a member of the message boards!

> I do follow this some but as note it changes due to what TCM is pushing at the time.

Right...it's all about what's visible to the public. That's why it's so important that classic films languishing in studio vaults be released and get seen by the public again.

That old phrase 'out of sight, out of mind' could not be truer.

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.11.2010_

*Another day with Barbara Stanwyck in the top ten...Bette rebounds...Errol drops...Cornel takes top honors after last night's triple feature.*

The one-two-three punch of Cornel Wilde puts him in the number one spot, though only one of his films makes the list of the most searched titles. Does LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN have more staying power than BEACH RED? Maybe TCM viewers are indicating that they prefer films from the 1940s than from the 1960s. Is BEACH RED actually a classic?

Not surprisingly, Bette Davis returns to the list...her major classic ALL ABOUT EVE had three consecutive screenings last night on FMC, with more repeat airings to come. Stay tuned...

Meanwhile, Cary Grant comes in at number two and John Wayne is the tenth most searched actor. Neither of these iconic actors have had recent airings on TCM. Their popularity likely reflects rentals and sales in the home-video market.

In a noteworthy development, Vivien Leigh disappears from the list completely, though GONE WITH THE WIND is still a searched title. Her costar Clark Gable did not fall off the list...this leads me to wonder if there are more Gable fans than Leigh fans, or if it's because more women are searching the database than men.

Robert_wise_1990.jpg

Four of Robert Wise's offerings crack the list of most searched titles, thanks in part to TCM's birthday tribute yesterday for the famed director. His comedy THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT is the most searched. I wonder why the directors do not make it on to the list of people searches...?

Looking ahead: *Will Ida Lupino take top prize after tonight's showing of HIGH SIERRA? Will HIGH SIERRA be the most searched title tomorrow? Or will some other Raoul Walsh film, like WHITE HEAT, show us who's top of the world?*

For your play by play analysis of what's hot on the database, this is MyFavoriteFilms.

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.12.2010_

*Gene Tierney on top...John Wayne jumps eight spots...a surprise appearance on the list...and Stanwyck out of the top 10.*

It had to happen: after days of being one of the most searched classic film stars, Barbara Stanwyck has dropped off the list (but don't count Babs out for long). One consolation is that frequent fave Irene Dunne is back, without any recent screenings. Meanwhile, Ray Milland makes a rare appearance in the number ten position.

The Duke climbs towards the top of the list, undoubtedly buoyed by yesterday's screening of TROUBLE ALONG THE WAY on TCM. None of his costars from that picture made the list, however.

I expected to see Ida Lupino on the list, but I guess all the advertising for HIGH SIERRA in recent days bolstered costar Humphrey Bogart instead. Bogey placed sixth. Ida might make a resurgence when ON DANGEROUS GROUND airs on September 16th.

screens_feature-36386.jpeg

As for the most searched titles, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN inches up to the top spot, helping star Gene Tierney become the most searched actress. Leading man Cornel Wilde remains as one of the most searched actors. One of his other films, which aired two nights ago, is the second-most searched title: A SONG TO REMEMBER. Again, BEACH RED failed to ignite with viewers.

A title from Ben Mankiewicz's Saturday afternoon matinee makes the list (CAT BALLOU) and so do a few late-night entries (I WALK THE LINE and KINGS ROW). In fact, KINGS ROW probably had the worst time slot of those titles that made it into the top ten.

Looking ahead: *Will LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and Gene Tierney continue as the most searched title and star? Will Gordon MacRae make the list after two showings today on TCM? And will Jean Simmons' YOUNG BESS assume a royal position?*

Dear My Fav--

*Of Human Bondage* was the 1st Bette movie I ever saw--She blew me away. I was a little kid and had never heard of her. When I asked my parents about her they told me:"Everybody knows her, she's the greatest actress in movies."

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.13.2010_

*Tierney vanishes...Flynn back at number one...Mayo & Cagney make an unbeatable combination...Irene Dunne still as popular as ever...and Claudette stops by to blow out the candles.*

The recent tribute to director Raoul Walsh has helped propel Errol Flynn back to the number one spot on the list...this in large part due to TCM's screening of THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON. Costar Olivia de Havilland, however, does not crack the top ten.

Another Walsh picture, WHITE HEAT, has meant a resurgence in popularity for its leads, Virginia Mayo and James Cagney. Mayo is sixth today, and Cagney is tenth. In fact, Mayo has three films on the list of most searched titles: WEST POINT STORY (number one); CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER (number two); and WHITE HEAT (number seven). Not bad.

Meanwhile, Irene Dunne continues her reign in the top ten without the benefit of a recent showing. And so do Cary Grant, GInger Rogers and John Wayne. This proves the sustained popularity of these stars.

nh18g.jpg

In other news, Claudette Colbert makes it on to the list just in time to help us celebrate her big day. Eight Colbert gems are airing on TCM today in observance of the actress' birthday. I expect she will remain on the list for days to come.

Looking ahead: *Will tonight's Patricia Neal memorial tribute push THE FOUNTAINHEAD to the top? Will Neal overtake Flynn in popularity? And which Colbert films will fans search most?*

Sometimes it looks like they are delayed...because films that aired two days prior are just hitting the list...but maybe it's because people don't watch them right away, or that they watch them but they don't go on and look up more information right away. Then, there are other titles and actors that make it on to the list immediately. I'd like to know what the numbers are...what is the actual gap in internet hits from number one to number ten.

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.14.2010_

*Betty Compson is number one...Flynn continues to drop...the Colbert touch is evident...and welcome back, Barbara Stanwyck.*

9899141_tml.jpg

The biggest news today is that Betty Compson has come out of nowhere to become the most-searched film star on the database. This comes without benefit of a recent screening (her next scheduled picture is THE BELOVED BRAT in October, and she only has a bit part). It's been nearly four decades since Compson's death; there are no headline-grabbing revelations about her life; and it is not her birthday.

So why the newfound interest in Compson? A variety of factors may be at play. First, Criterion released THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK last month, and it seems to be getting a lot of buzz. Next, Compson did a Technicolor screen test for a key role in David Selznick's GONE WITH THE WIND. A documentary about the making of that great epic film will air on TCM tonight. Whatever the reason, I'm sure it's a delight for Compson's fan base that their favorite star is getting all this attention.

In other news, Barbara Stanwyck returns to the top ten, proving you can't keep a talented woman down. Meanwhile, Claudette Colbert is the second-most searched actress after yesterday's birthday marathon. Five of her films crack the top ten list of most-searched titles.

It is also worth mentioning that Kevin McCarthy makes an appearance after his recent death at the age of 96. His most well-known title INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS also had a lot of hits. And not surprising, the memorial tribute for Pat Neal catapulted her on to the list and her early drama THE FOUNTAINHEAD to number one.

Looking ahead: *Will Compson remain on top? Or will tonight's airing of GONE WITH THE WIND put Vivien Leigh in the number one spot? And will today's Tim Holt western marathon help him stampede on to the list?*

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.15.2010_

*Betty Compson replaced by Evelyn Brent at number one...Hayley Mills stops by...and my I do declare but Vivien Leigh's back.*

As expected Vivien Leigh returns to the list after last night's showings of GONE WITH THE WIND and A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE. There are two more evenings this month devoted to her talents as TCM's Star of the Month for September.

Yesterday's top search, Betty Compson, drops out of sight and is replaced by another actress associated with Josef Von Sternberg. This time it's Evelyn Brent. This leads one to assume that the recent Criterion release of Von Sternberg's films must be selling like hotcakes.

pollyanna2.jpg

Two Hayley Mills films hit the list of most searched titles as a result of yesterday's mini Hayley-a-thon on the classic movie channel. Hayley Mills herself placed tenth on the most-searched people list.

In other developments, Claudette Colbert remains near the top of the heap after her recent feliz cumpleanos. And Pat Neal holds strong, thanks to the immensely popular THE FOUNTAINHEAD.

Looking ahead: *Will today's line-up of Jackie Cooper films make him the next leader of the pack? Which of his films will fans search most? And will another Von Sternberg diva make an appearance?*

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.16.2010_

*Jackie Cooper makes a hit with viewers...Colbert and Leigh still on the list...William Haines the most popular?*

William%20Haines%20(1900-1973).jpg

In a surprise development, William Haines comes out of nowhere to take the lead. We have had three consecutive days in which stars popular during the pre-code era have burst on to the scene to command the number one position on the list of people searches. Again, these upswings in popularity come without benefit of recent screenings or newsworthy headlines. It makes one wonder who will head the top of the list tomorrow?

Vivien Leigh continues to ride on the scarlet coattails of TCM's recent screening of GONE WITH THE WIND and the documentary about the making of that epic motion picture. This was to be expected. However, we must mention that A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE was also a searched title.

TCM's slate of movies about real-life gangsters shot its way on to the list of searched titles. But none of the lead actors appear. There is no David Janssen or Rod Steiger on the list.

Other trends: the upcoming noir THE PROWLER has been getting a lot of internet hits. THE FOUNTAINHEAD is slowly falling off the list. And the Louis Armstrong musical pic NEW ORLEANS placed rather high. However, none of Jackie Cooper's movies were searched as much.

Looking ahead: *Will at least one Jackie Cooper film make the list? What about titles on today's TCM lineup, like SOUTH PACIFIC or HAMLET? And is someone rigging the votes in order to make sure their favorite pre-code stars get the attention they deserve?*

Thanks...I think there are going to be endless repeats, like with John Wayne, Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers as the most searched. But it's interesting to apply that to recent showings on cable or new home video releases, or film festivals.

There tend to be a few surprises each day...and while we can predict a screening of GONE WITH THE WIND may hit near the top, there are other lesser known titles that pop up and get noticed.

It's fun to see what movies and celebrities are on people's minds.

*Daily Most Popular*

by MyFavoriteFilms

_9.17.2010_

*Marion Davies is number one...Vivien Leigh holds strong...appearances by Robert Taylor, Gregory Peck and Kathryn Grayson.*

ShowPeopleMarionDavies.jpg

Continuing the trend of silent and pre-code stars at number one, we find Marion Davies on top. Davies' next film screenings on TCM include PAGE MISS GLORY in late October and perennial favorite SHOW PEOPLE in early November.

Meanwhile, Humphrey Bogart remains on the list, fueled by his recent showing of HIGH SIERRA. But several stars that appeared yesterday ran out of gas and drove off the list. It caused openings for Taylor, Peck and Grayson. And these three classic film actors have rather large followings.

In other news, Tony Curtis' late career entry LEPKE rose to the second position on the most-searched titles list. It was bested by SOUTH PACIFIC and followed by another gangster pic, AL CAPONE. In fact, all four films that screened on TCM's primetime lineup made the list...the other two are THE RISE AND FALL OF LEGS DIAMOND and MAD DOG COLL.

Looking ahead: *How will today's birthday tribute to Anne Bancroft fare? And tonight's schedule, boasting several important code breakers, is sure to cause a ruckus on the charts tomorrow.*