Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Actors/Actresses

Thanks, CB! Same to you, I have missed you! Well, I hope I didn't leave anyone out, but you know, as MGM said, and I DON'T quote, there are a lot of stars in the heavens! I just tried to do my best. I love Errol, but you just have to have a counter part!

GM, wouldja believe???????? You forgot someone!

My new favorite female actress - Ann Harding. She's lovely, talented, and makes Bette Davis look like she should be cleaning dishes in a diner.

Oh, and I - do - not - like Errol Flynn. Or perhaps I just didn't like his choice of movies, because I think he was okay, later on, looking dissolute, in a mystery (?) film.

dolores

Haven't been on in a while...

I love James Dean, James Stewart, Harrison Ford, Marlon Brando, and especially Gene Kelly! William Holden, Cary Grant, Lawrence Olivier, Van Johnson are great as well.

As far as actresses go, Audrey Hepburn will always be my favorite. If I could look like anyone, I've always said it would be her. Natalie Wood, Vivien Leigh, Ingrid Bergman, and Kate Hepburn are other favorites.

Gasp! The Shining is one of the few movies of the horror genre that can appreciate. I always considered it one of the masterpieces of horror, so I'm surprised to see you casting aspersion on it.

Well, whattya know...

I've never really liked horror flicks much myself. I first saw "The Shining" sitting in a dorm room in college. I consider it King's best book by far. We were all glued to the TV for the first 90 minutes or so, then Jack and Shelley began this bizarre battle to see who could outdo the other, and we were all rolling on the floor at the end. It wasn't Kubrick's interpretation that bothered me (though it did King), just those two over-the-top performances at the end. As a fan of the book, I preferred the much more subdued TV miniseries with Steven Weber and Rebecca DeMornay. It stayed true to King's story. I had a feeling when I made the comment that many would be offended! Hey, my first one! :-)

> Well, you know, that is really not saying much. They

> gave CHER an OSCAR!!

Very subtle! ;-) I'm not crazy about post-1960 films either, but Jack's a pretty good one. I think he could have fit in quite nicely in 1945. Just can't get the image of his face coming through the door in "The Shining" out of my head right now.

Ha! How true. That is quite an image! Even my 85 year old mother brings up that face in that movie every once in awhile. REDRUM!

You know, that is when I stopped watching the Oscars. I thought then, well, if they'll give it to Cher, they'll give it to anyone! And, they just did again, "It's Hard Out There For A Pimp." A far cry from Somewhere Over the Rainbow or It Might As Well Be Spring! I tell ya, there just ain't no class anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

In no particiular order.....

Actresses:

Ginger Rogers

Greta Garbo

Miriam Hopkins

Joan Crawford

Myrna Loy

Carole Lombard

Bette Davis

Joan Blondell

Una Merkel

Madge Evans

Kay Francis

Loretta Young

Actors:

Robert Montgomery

George Sanders

Franchot Tone

Joel McCrea

Conrad Nagel

John GIlbert

Fred Astaire

William Powell

Lionel Barrymore

Clark Gable

And so many, many more. I think I love a lot more than I dislike.

> What? No Hedy Lamarr? Ok, you just lost my vote.

Like I said, there are a lot I forgot and I like most of them.

I'm split on Hedy Lamarr, though. She was certainly beautiful and she certainly had screen presence, but her acting hasn't been consistant from what I've seen. I haven't seen a "bad" performance from her, but out of what I've seen she's give more "good' or "decent' performances than really good performances. I adored her in Boom Town and Come Live With Me, but I found her simply decent in The Heavenly Body and Ziegfeld Girl (for example). I think a lot of it has to do with the roles she was given. A lot of the time she was simply miscast and she wasn't quite able to rise above it.

From one Chicago girl to another:

I agree with both of your lists, except I have to add Greer Garson to the ladies.

Also, I would have to add Robert Mitchum to the TOP of the guys. I would have killed for "...crackers in my bed anytime" when he was 40 to 55 in his prime!!! Yum. Yum.

> Katharine Hepburn,Irenne Dunne,Maureen

> O'Hara,Elizabeth Taylor,Greer Garson,Loretta

> Young,Bette Davis.............Cary Grant,Clark

> Gable,Spencer Tracy,John Garfield,Lawrence Olivier.

Maureen O' Hara and John Garfield were teamed in the noirish spy thriller "The Fallen Sparrow" ! In her autobiography, she mentions his politics (extreme left) and that "He was a sweetheart to work with "!