Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Debbie's Movie Stuff For Sale

Poinciana

Well that is really sad. Debbie Reynolds has always seemed to have a genuine love for Hollywood history. She was unable to make a go of displaying the collection for some reason.

Interesting quotes:

(Todd) Fisher, who is president of the Hollywood Motion Picture and Television Museum,

Fisher, whose mother also starred in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown," said Reynolds is "heartbroken" that the collection she began amassing around age 30 will be broken up and auctioned. He said she started the collection because she was not only a fan but felt it was important to preserve such items.

"In her mind, these are some of the greatest creations of Hollywood," he said.

"In her mind" Interesting.

Fisher said the family still has the option to step up with the money if it wants to keep the items. But, he added, "Why would we do that when there really doesn't seem to be a home for the collection, or a use for the collection?"

This seems to be another example of the fact that most of the elite Hollywood community could care less about preserving their own history. $50 million isn't too large a sum for these guys if Reynold's collection is the treasure trove it appears to be. They could step up in a collective effort if they cared to.

Has anyone her viewed the collection?

Edited by: molo14 on Sep 12, 2010 8:03 PM For overuse of the word "seems" and additional question.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> This seems to be another example of the fact that most of the elite Hollywood community could care less about preserving their own history. $50 million isn't too large a sum for these guys if Reynolds's collection is the treasure trove it appears to be. They could step up in a collective effort if they cared to.

It's actually a lot of money when the odds that such an investment will yield any financial return are slim and none. At least if you invest $50 million in the filming of a movie, you stand some chance of making a profit.

PS: The expression is "couldn't care less" (though the confusion could probably be minimized if people would learn to avoid the contraction and say "could not care less"), not "could care less," which is diametrically opposite to the meaning you wished to convey.

CineSage,

Since when did you become such a capitalist?

I'm not talking about an investment for profit. I'm talking about preserving history. A profit would be nice but historic preservation often relies on donations. It doesn't have to come from the studios. There is more than enough individual wealth in the film industry. Do they feel the collection is worth preserving intact? If they do, they should work to make it happen. I just don't think many of them care that much about it.

As for the grammar lesson, that was very thoughtful.

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}

>

> PS: The expression is "couldn't care less" (though the confusion could probably be minimized if people would learn to avoid the contraction and say "could not care less"), not "could care less," which is diametrically opposite to the meaning you wished to convey.

>

Thanks! Finally someone else who gets it!

I can't count how many times for years I've corrected people who say it wrong. As you said, when it's said the way most people say it, it's actually conveying the opposite of what they obviously mean.

>>I can't count how many times for years I've corrected people who say it wrong. As you said, when it's said the way most people say it, it's actually conveying the opposite of what they obviously mean.

That's one of my pet peeves. My ex used to listen to Howard Stern and he used that phrase constantly. When a listener called to correct him, Stern replied "I could care less" and said it repeatedly, much to the delight of that bobbing-headed Robin Quivers who actually said "Who is this guy to criticize you when you have a radio show and make millions?"

So Stern told the guy that when he makes as much money, then he can correct him (Stern) on the use of language. I was so fed up that I turned the radio off.

I've given up on correcting others when they use the phrase, instead I turn it around and ask them "How much less could you care?" More times than not, I've been told "That's not what I meant" and I get to respond "That's what I thought, but it is what you said."

I believe that the phrase originated here :) :

300px-Tales_of_the_Bizarro_World_1.JPG

musicalnovelty and clore,

I do my best to try and use proper grammar and spelling, but sometimes when I am writing a quick reply I make mistakes. Considering some of the posts I read on this board, I think I do a pretty good job. I try to be polite and considerate to everyone on these forums, but singling me out for one little slip of an improper phrase seems a bit much.

Perhaps you can all join "CineSage" or "Sprocketman" (or whatever he is calling himself these days) in his crusade to correct other posters throughout this forum.

I'm sorry you chose to ignore the topic and focus on this. I'm also sorry that you find my grammar so atrocious. Perhaps you should both use the ignore function on me. I would hate to offend your sensibilities any further.

I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors in this post.

Molo

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> >>I can't count how many times for years I've corrected people who say it wrong. As you said, when it's said the way most people say it, it's actually conveying the opposite of what they obviously mean.

>

> That's one of my pet peeves. My ex used to listen to Howard Stern and he used that phrase constantly. When a listener called to correct him, Stern replied "I could care less" and said it repeatedly, much to the delight of that bobbing-headed Robin Quivers who actually said "Who is this guy to criticize you when you have a radio show and make millions?"

>

> So Stern told the guy that when he makes as much money, then he can correct him (Stern) on the use of language. I was so fed up that I turned the radio off.

>

> I've given up on correcting others when they use the phrase, instead I turn it around and ask them "How much less could you care?" More times than not, I've been told "That's not what I meant" and I get to respond "That's what I thought, but it is what you said."

>

Two others that irk me (and they turn up right here on these boards way too often...but I'm not naming any names!) -

Some people seem to have made up their own new word, "allot" (or sometimes "alot") when they really mean the two words "a lot".

And the use of "could of" in place of the correct "could have" (or "would of" or "should of") is also infuriating, especially when used by good folks who we know really should know better.

I had the lucky opportunity to meet Debbie Reynolds a few years ago. (OK, I stood around backstage with all the other fans waiting for her to come out) Such a pro, she came out and spoke to EVERY person, one at a time.

When it was my turn I thanked her for sharing her talent with us but _especially_ for saving all the costumes & memorabilia when the studio sold it off. I told her I am a historian and people like her are blessed for realizing the big picture and helping to save our history for generations to come.

She seemed very appreciative to hear this and held my hand and thanked ME for the acknowledgement.

I bet she's devastated having to let this go, possibly never to be seen by the public again.

I'd love to see fellow film historian Ted Turner step up and take charge of it. Maybe then it would get the kind of management needed to maintain it and put a traveling museum show on tour so we ALL can enjoy these gorgeous artifacts.

Ted, I'm a curator, restorer & film buff. Call me. queenie.gif