ERROL23

William Bendix

My Favorites

1 Wake Island(1942)

2China(1943)

3Detective Story(1951)

4Guadalcanal Diary(1943)

5The Blue Dahlia(1946)

A Great Untouchables Episode,Tri State Gang(1959)WB is head of a brutal highjacking gang.After a seriers of killings and other crimes,Elliot Ness (Robert Stack)is called in.Great Episode.

Movie Version Highway 301(1950)Steve Cochran is the head of the mob.

He never gave a bad performance. Need to add Streets of Laredo to the list. Even when he was the bad guy you couldn't stop watching him. You'd never confuse him with the handsome hero but he often outacted then. That said it all.

I always liked him. I would add *Macao* to the list.

> {quote:title=ERROL23 wrote:}{quote}

> Let us not forget,The Life Of Riley.WB is Chester Riley.What a revolting development this is.

I've been downloading the tv episodes from the internet archive. I'm enjoying them.

William Bendix was one of the great characters of all time.But he starred in one of the worst/cornest baseball bio's of all time "The Babe Ruth Story". He was great though. As a boy he was the bat boy for the N.Y. Yankees in the late teens early 1920's and saw Babe Ruth in action.I loved him in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court" with Bing Crosby.Most remember him for his comedies, but the one role I remember is Jeff, the thug in "The Glass Key" where he delivers one of the great screen beating to Alan Ladd. He did quite a few films with his good friend Alan Ladd. He was outstanding in Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" as Gus and his Academy Award nomination for "Wake Island"..Sadly we lost him at age 58 to pneumonia....

Edited by: fredbaetz on Sep 13, 2010 12:35 AM

William Bendix was one of those actors that could do it all. He was equally good in comedies and dramas. One of the surprises for me was when he played the man in the white suit in The Dark Corner, that starred Mark Stevens and Lucille Ball. Bendix was believable as the shady PI. But, of course, for people of a certain age, William Bendix will always be "Riley".

I have been visiting the "RILEY" site online recently and been reminded what a gem Willam Bendix truely was. Its nice though that we can still look back and share with our children what were clearly "BETTER" times.

Edited by: stjohnrv on Sep 25, 2010 1:45 PM

You should see *Johnny Nobody*. Unfortunately, it isn't on DVD, and I haven't seen it on TV in decades.

I like him in:

THE BLUE DAHLIA

THE DARK CORNER

MACAO

A BELL FOR ADANO

GREENWICH VILLAGE.

The guy was made for film noir.

Also would like to see the following:

CALCUTTA (1947)

GAMBLING HOUSE (1950)

THE WEB (1947)

THE GLASS KEY (1942)