Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RIP KEVIN MCCARTHY

He also had a cameo appearance in the 1978 remake of ""Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Can never forget that Amazing Grace music when the pods were being shipped, lol.

He was also the mad scientist in "Piranha" (1978) who wanted to adapt the maneating fish to live in cold water. Grizzly bears would had and interesting meal (or they would be the meal).

RIP Kevin

kevinmccarthy2-sized.jpg

I seem to recall an old Twilight Zone episode where he was someone who had been living for hundreds of years. I was beginning to think there was something to it. Seriously he left his mark well. How about TCM showing DEATH OF A SALESMAN where he played Fredric March's son,Biff? You will always be remembered for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. Sleep well.

I do also recall The Twilight Zone episode that he was in, which you had mentioned, where he played a history teacher that had lived since the Greco-Roman times, but don't quote me on that one. He was supposed to marry the daughter of another professor, but one of his elderly, still living wives got in the way. Very talented actor. You will be missed.

~Donna :)

"You're the detective. Don't ask me for answers."

~ Jarvis Goodland (Ray Milland) ~ Columbo: The Greenhouse Jungle

"I never discuss business before dinner."

~Jean Lafitte (Fredric March) ~ The Buccaneer (1938)

"Having some trouble Mr. DA?"

~Joe Lilac (Dana Andrews) ~ Ball of Fire (1942)

"If you're not gonna electrocute me on the spot, I think I'll run along."

~Joel Sloane (Robert Montgomery) ~ Fast and Loose (1939)

"This is the way I like to do business. Quickly and to the point."

~Britt Reid/The Green Hornet (Van Williams) ~ The Green Hornet: Trouble for Prince Charming

"What are you smoking, Matthews? Cornsilk?"

~Boston **** (Chester Morris) ~ Boston **** and the Law (1946)

Very sad, I always liked his work. I was reading that actor Larry Gates was a close friend (he was the psychiatrist in Invasion of the Body Snatchers). Gates had premature grey hair and always looked about 10 years older, but I think they were the same age.

Edited by: FloydDBarber on Sep 14, 2010 12:30 PM

Cody, that is one of my favorite TZ episodes. His character was Walter Jameson and now that I am on the downward slide of life I can relate to not wanting to leave even though I am a Christian. Everything has an end though; I keep reminding myself that I'm heading for something better.

I first saw him when he appeared in several episodes of the religious program The Christophers in the 50's and I gathered from that that he was a decent man. He got a bad break when his wife left him for her soap-opera co-star but he seems to ave not become bitter. RIP, Sir.

In February 1999 Mr. McCarthy came to our small town to perform in "Give 'Em Hell, Harry!". My wife and I hosted him Saturday through Monday, driving him from his hotel to various places, to dinner, etc. We were with him constantly. He was perhaps the most gracious individual I have ever encountered, with an air of real class. On Sunday afternoon, he and I sat in my small family room and watched together most of the then new DVD of the 1956 "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". This was a life memory for me. On Monday, we drove him to O'Hare (about a 5 hour trip) and he regaled us with stories about his acting and traveling adventures. What a delight he was! He gave me one of his books inscribed personally and signed "Dr. Miles Bennell". We feel a kind of personal loss. Thank you, Kevin, for all that you did for movie, TV and stage fans everywhere!

That's a great post. Thanks for sharing that story.

If you go to the TCM database and search him by name, you can add that comment on his biography page. Then, it will always be there for people to read it in the future, when they are studying his career and enjoying his films.

Just click on this link:

http://www.tcm.com:80/tcmdb/participant.jsp?participantId=126243%7C94018

Then on the right hand side where it says 'Post a review' is where you can add a comment.

I loved James Whitmore in Give Em Hell, Harry and had no idea that anyone else did it as well. Is Mr. McCarthy?s version on anything that can be bought or downloaded? I would really like to see this as I can just picture how dynamic a performance it would be.