Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Code Breakers on TCM

MyFavoriteFilms

This is an interesting theme...and I have to say that I have only seen the third one:

THE MOON IS BLUE

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

BABY DOLL

But I think it would've made more sense if they had started the evening by showing one or two pre-codes...including HEAT LIGHTNING from 1934 which was the first film to get a condemned rating. Then, it would really put these later films into perspective.

> {quote:title=MyFavoriteFilms wrote:}{quote}

> This is an interesting theme...and I have to say that I have only seen the third one:

>

> THE MOON IS BLUE

> THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

> BABY DOLL

>

>

> But I think it would've made more sense if they had started the evening by showing one or two pre-codes...including HEAT LIGHTNING from 1934 which was the first film to get a condemned rating. Then, it would really put these later films into perspective.

I agree wholeheartedly, natch! If you haven't seen THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM before, you're in for a treat, awesome flick! I've seen BABY DOLL and don't really dig that flick too much. THE MOON IS BLUE is a new one for me.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> THE MOON IS BLUE is a new one for me.

It is supposed to be famous because of the use of a certain word that had not been allowed by the old code. In the ?50s, Preminger liked to use provocative words, such as his frequent of the word ?panties? in ?Anatomy of a Murder?.

I?ve actually heard that old word in movies in the 1930s and ?40s, but used very sparingly and not provocatively.

The word has since become somewhat obsolete.

I rarely agree with Mr. Dobbs, but until David Niven showed up in *The Moon is Blue,* it was almost unbearable. While I was a little girl when this movie came out, I do slightly remember there was controversy surrounding it. I just didn't understand what that meant.

Of course, I had to look up Maggie McNamara on IMDB afterwards and apparently she never was a big smash. She died in the 1970's of an overdose and her obit wasn't even printed until 4 weeks after her death. I didn't know if she was trying to be a Audrey Hepburn knockoff but she looked more like Debbie Reynolds with darker hair.

She sounded to me like she was trying to imitate Gale Storm from the old ?My Little Margie? episodes from 1952, at least a little, such as the way we could hear her take a little gasp of breath before some of her rapidly spoken sentences.

My Little Margie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyrcYlMEcZE&feature=related

The Moon is Blue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxrsZq6PHHI&feature=related

The film looks like it was shot mostly on a one-room TV-studio set, making it look like an early TV show of that era. And with a minimal cast. We can see that the major part of the film?s budget went to pay William Holden and David Niven, and the whole thing was probably shot in just a few days.

I can say it online, but I won?t. You can look it up in the IMDB review of the film.

I wonder if this was the forerunner of all the later Doris Day in New York type films (also Jane Fonda, Kim Novak, and Natalie Wood) that became so popular later in the ?50s?