Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ibadhatharry

Any "Lost" Films You'd Like TCM To Show?

What "lost" classic film (or films) --THAT YOU'VE NEVER SEEN AIRED ON TCM-- would you be most happy to find on TCM's schedule?

To start it off, I have two...

"Thanks A Million" (1935)

"The Magic Face" (1951)

--

iB

We've only had cable for about 7 months and the only channel that I watch is TCM. I've gone to the web site monthly to see if my favourite movie-"Stage Door"- was on the schedule. I was THRILLED when it showed that it would be playing on 10 October at 8am. I've planned my whole weekend around it, even went and purchased a VCR tape so that I might finally have a copy to watch as I pleased..only to find that they're removed it from the schedule!!!! I'm SOOO upset! It's not even listed in on the schedule for the next three months now. Why do they change the schedule like that?!?!?!?

Yes, it is a shame that TCM had to bump that one. :-(

Stage Door (1937) doesn't come around that often on ol' TCM's schedule. I believe the last time it aired on TCM was on Friday, April 11, 2003 --a year and a half back. Yikes!

Let's hope it doesn't take that long again. I'm sure they'll try to reschedule it as soon as possible.

--

iB

OK, I think that the topic question has to do with "lost" films so here is mine:

27 - Two Arabian Knights (D: Lewis Milestone)

28 - Drag (D: Frank Lloyd)

28 - The Patriot (D: Ernst Lubitsch)

29 - The Barker (D: George Fitzmaurice)

Has the film "The Noose" which stars Richard Barthelmess ever found light of day? It is a First National (Warner Bros) film so TCM would have it if anyone does.

Good news! TCM will be showing TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS in December, along with two more silents produced by Howard Hughes, THE RACKET (one of the first movies nominated for Best Picture) and THE MATING CALL!

Just one more example of how TCM continues to surprise and delight us classic film fans . . .

I would like to see a neat little crime drama

called "Girls in the Night" (1953) from Universal-International. It's a "B" film about young people who get into trouble when a blind man is murdered. One actress impressed me in the cast by the name of Jaclynne Greene who played Vera but the gang called her "Ugly".

A talented performer she only went on to make a few more films then retired. Also in the cast were Joyce Holden and Harvey Lembeck.

Mongo

I got my wish recently! I had suggested the 1929 version of RIO RITA with Bebe Daniels and John Boles and it appeared last week on the Mad About Musicals day.

Naturally after waiting years to see it, forgot to set the tape....but I managed to see part of it.

This, and any other early musicals that still exist, are fun to see even, if they creak.

Well I am a huge fan of Alfred Hithcock and the only movies of his I have not seen are Downhill, The pleasure garden, The mountain eagle and Waltzes from vienna. I cannot find them anywhere. I think they will be forever lost. I hope not I would like to have seen all 54 of his feature films.

There is a 26 minute short by Alfred Hitchcock from 1944 called Bon Voyage which is supposed to be worth seeing that I've requested a couple of times, but they've yet to show it. Does anyone remember seeing it on TCM previously?

I would like to see "Arabian Nights" (1942) starring Jon Hall, Sabu and Shemp Howard. I saw it on AMC years ago (when AMC actually aired good movies without commercials) but I have not seen it on TCM.

raestar57 wrote:

> I would like to see "Arabian Nights" (1942) starring

> Jon Hall, Sabu and Shemp Howard. I saw it on AMC

> years ago (when AMC actually aired good movies

> without commercials) but I have not seen it on TCM.

Yep! ...I hear you, RAESTAR57.

That is exactly the same problem I've had with "Thanks A Million" (1935), one of my "lost" classics (listed below).

The last time I ever saw "Thanks A Million" aired was on the "old" AMC. This, way back when they honestly screened CLASSIC movies -- as you so rightly say, "when AMC actually aired good movies."

Likely AMC may own the rights to many of these great old films, ...but will not ever show them because the "new" AMC almost never airs films released from 1925 up thru 1955. Let alone (God forbid) anything filmed in black & white.

Hopefully, one day, TCM will get their chance to screen some of these. ...Hopefully.

I'd also love to see HANGOVER SQUARE though I believe it's owned by FOX. Saw it years ago on old AMC and the score is amazing.

One film owned by WARNER BROS. that has been missing in action on TCM is DARK OF THE SUN (1968. aka The Mercenaries) with Rod Taylor, Jim Brown, and Yvette Mimieux. Directed by the great cinematographer Jack Cradiff, this movie has not reached DVD and the VHS is long out of print pan and scan. I'm surprised it wasn't included in the recent TCM survey of movies not yet released on DVD.

It's a terrific film with a great performance by Rod Taylor. It's also been mentioned as a favorite of Martin Scorcese. I really hope TCM will show this some day soon.

I'd like to see Vittorio De Sica's The Bicycle Thief. The pinnacle of neorealism my favorite De Sica film. I don't know if TCM has ever shown it, but I don't remember having seen it on television.

fredrandyp, did you hear Mantan Moreland's exchange with Ben Carter in 'The Scarlet Clue'? It was priceless:

Moreland: "Why if it ain?t?uhhh?."

Carter: "Ben Carter?s the name."

Moreland: "Benjamin Carter, I haven?t seen you since?"

Carter: "Longer than that!"

Moreland: "Last time I saw you, you lived over?"

Carter: "Oh I moved from there."

Moreland: "Yeah?"

Carter: "Sure, I moved over to?"

Moreland: "How can you live in that neighborhood?"

Personally, I would like to see 'Beyond Tomorrow' which I know was on AMC.

Here's two "B" movies about prison breaks that almost never see the light of day:

CANON CITY (1948) ( pronounced "Canyon" )

Semi-documentary prison-break film based on a real incident. Filmed by legendary noir cinematographer John Alton.

GANG BUSTERS (1954)

Myron Healey plays a master criminal who repeatedly extricates himself from Oregon State Prison. Also filmed in a semi-documentary form.

Oh! Oh! ...Here's a fairly tricky (if not lame and, also, off-topic) Q and A for everyone; a little brain-strainer for all who like to delve into obscure trivia ...VERY OBSCURE trivia. ;-)

Q: In what great film did Mr. Healey's character throw money?

A: ______

:-)

--

iB

I thought of so many but why bother--TCM goes on sshowing the same old flicks on & on...Sorry. but that's what I feel. Last time I tuned in was for the 'Third Man' After that they showed those silents---

Holy moly Mongo,etc, a lotta' new faces, i mean names

on TCM here of late, huh? To the 1 TCM-ITE whom asked about "Bicycle Thief" I am pretty certain TCM has aired it. However, the 2 or 3 are same ol' same for me & I've been watching the network since early 1996. These are early Fox Studios pictures. *John Ford's "Up the River"-(*Spencer Tracy's debut & *Bogart's 2nd feature) "Quick Millions" (Fox) (*Tracy again, but as a lot may not know, both he & *Gable started out as gangsters a wee-bit. & to top things off, George Raft-(1895-1980) himself bumps off *Spence in the one from 1931-(these 3 are also out of print on video) & finally 1933's "A Man's Castle" By *Borzage & co-starring a 19yr old *Loretta Young & *Spence.-(all Fox releases. As I previously noted it didn't have the 20th Century until '35) Plus, it's a minor fluff comedy. But it's Natalie Wood's penultimate production. 1980's "Last Married Couple in America" By no-means a classic, but it's strangely not even aired on cable? Thanks

Hey, ibadhatharry...I believe Myron Healey threw money in RIO BRAVO...a dollar in the spitoon for Dean Martin.

On to my list...

CRIME WAVE (1954) Have been requesting this for years, and it's even owned by WB, but it didn't even show up during the "Crime Wave" festival. Go figure.

BLOOD MONEY (1933) Great pre-code gem from Fox with terrific Frances Dee performance.

ROGUE RIVER (1950) CineColor western about feuding brothers with Rory Calhoun and Peter Graves.

Letterboxed print of RIDE LONESOME (1959), one of the great Scott/Boetticher westerns. TCM has run a letterboxed print of COMANCHE STATION, so let's spread the joy!

Letterboxed, uncut print of THE BIG GUNDOWN (1968) with Lee Van Cleef.

Any of the Hal Roach Streamliners and/or Pine-Thomas 'B' titles from the 1940s.

Sunrise, Sunrise, SUNRISE! I don't know if its lost or not because I have heard many people speak of it in various other threads, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Its supposed to be a very important, and wonderful silent film, but I can't seem to get my hands on it.

Sunrise isn't lost, it's just owned by Fox. You can find it on DVD and sometimes on the Fox movie channel.