Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From Broadway to Hollywood

cujas

I stand corrected--I should have said -- She won the Oscar and the Golden Globe Award for the film adaptation of her hit Broadway play and the Tony for her return to Broadway in a Musical.

I believe the confusion came in that in Miss Holliday's Broadway debut, "Kiss Them for Me", she won 2 awards: the Clarence Derwent Award from Actors' Equity and as the Theatre World Award from the New York Circle of critics. But not the Tony Award because it didn't exist at that time.

Fi--you're still right by my criteria.

A highly anticipated play is being cast for Broadway. A respected actor is offered the lead, but turns it down. Later, that play is being turned into a movie. Again, this actor is offered the lead. This time he does NOT turn it down. Actor? Film?

Edited by: finance on May 25, 2011 4:25 PM

I'm still thinking of my senior year in high school when we read "Death of A Salesman".

Freddy March was offered the part and turned it down on Broadway--

It was a big success, so he took it up in the movies.

Nobody said what Lee J. Cobb thought about all this.

Edited by: cujas on May 25, 2011 4:25 PM

This very unusual producer/director started in Hollywood, then went to Broadway, but ended up, quite the success story in the Hollywood of the 40's and 50's. He also acted in both venues.

Among his films is a 40's classic, which ranks on the AFI top 10 list for film mysteries.

In later years, the public was surprised to find he had a hot romantic life with several famous showbiz ladies, which included a love child, despite his marriage and his rather unconventional appearance and personality.

This guy wrote big-time for the movies, in fact one the Oscar for a movie theme--but I remember him best for the Broadway showstoppers he wrote for the Broadway Divas.

Si vous voulez--give us a some of both.

Not vague at all--This guy wrote the biggest Hollywood movie theme of the 50's and then went on to write the biggest Broadway hits for the greatest Broadway Divas in the 50's and 60's. On Broadway he was famous for the song that when the lady sang--it Stopped the show.

This one ain't hard-- But one more once--

This guy wrote for the Hollywood musicals in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

He wrote the Oscar Award winning and most popular movie theme song of the 50's.

But more importantly he wrote the top musicals for the top Broadway Divas of the 50's and 60's.

As they said, when they sang his showstopping tunes, the show actually stopped.

Hint--and you could hear the song all the way to Times Square or the Statute of Liberty.

Go back to the 1950's Movie theme music--

Go back to the Broadway Divas fo the 50's and 60's

Then go all the way back to a composer who was working in Hollywood musicals in the 30's, 40's and 50's---

How many guys did all this?

Hint: wrote for Frank

Jules Styne wrote "Gypsy* for Ethel Merman

"Funny Girl" for Barbra Streisand

& "Bells Are Ringing" for Judy Holliday

all quite famous and made into big movies.

Fi's turn--

This '40s musical was well-received on Broadway. Its director was not known for musicals, either on stage or in film. The musical was, in a few years, made into a movie which was not so well-received. The movie's top two billed stars were also not known for musicals. Title of film and Broadway show?

Edited by: finance on Jun 3, 2011 3:07 PM

Fi--it's wasn't that easy.

This all-round singing performer started on Broadway and later went to Hollywood. On Broadway she starred in a musical written by America's top pop 1960's composer. In Hollywood she co-starred in a musical sequel. The original musical was the 70's top film musical.

Archived