Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From Broadway to Hollywood

cujas

One of Broadway's most legendary musical stars, she appeared on stage with Fred Astaire and re-created several of her stage hits for the movies.

She was also portrayed on film by 2 different actresses--one was, ironically, one of Hollywood's most legendary musical stars.

Is it Fanny Brice? Of course she was portrayed by Barbra Streisand in *Funny Girl* (1968) and Rosalind Harris in *The Cotton Club* (1984) - and by Dorothy Loudon on television. She was in *Ziegfeld Follies* (1945) with Fred Astaire but I don't know what she appeared with him in on stage. She recreated some of her stage rountines in the Oscar-winning *The Great Ziegfeld* (1936) and other films.

To repeat the original question--

This musical comedy Broadway legend was portrayed in the movies by 2 actresses--one just so happened to be a Hollywood musical comedy legend in her own right.

Hint: The Performer was a noted dancer and performed on Broadway with Fred Astaire.

;) Thank You Cujas. I missed You and everybody here.

You wrote 2 actresses portrayed Marilyn Miller on film, the other was June Haver in *Look For The Silver Lining* . I'm watching Howard Keel right now in *Floods of Fear* a very different role for him. I'll try to post a question later. btw, You made my day :)

Here's a 2'fer

Her Film career was prolific during the 1940's-50's. She appeared in films with many of Warner's leading men. She met her husband while touring in a stage production. He was the lead in a very successful TV show. Their marriage lasted almost 50 years. She won a Tony award as the lead in a Broadway musical.

His film career took place during the 1940's-1950's. He appeared in a very well known much loved musical in the '50's. When his film career slowed down, he began directing films and TV shows. He appeared in a Broadway musical and was nominated for a Tony award.

Both this actor and actress appeared together in this multi award winning production on Broadway.

Name them both and this Broadway show. ( To avoid any confusion, they were not married to each other)

This was basically a two-character Broadway play that opened in the late '50s, with a huge male movie star and a future Oscar-winning sctress in the starring roles. Neither appeared in the screen

version a few years later. The male role in the film was played by an A-list actor for whom the role was an unusual one for him, and the female role was played by a future Oscar-winning actress who had begun her career as a dancer on Broadway. Name of film and play? The two stars on Broadway? The two stars of the film?

Miles--I hope the hurricane has not ruined your perfect English grammar. But, at any rate, you are still perfectly correct.

For Spence, the play was, indeed, a rugged path, and his last on stage appearance.

Miles, it's all yours--

Archived