Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Find the Movie Star in Classic TV

Yes, Yes and Yes. Such a funny episode. Based on a short story by Roald Dahl. When the detectives are sitting at the dinner table eating the leg of lamb, the lead detective thinking about where the murder weapon could be says "for all we know it might be right under our noses" . Always remembered this episode, glad you did too. Great work cmvgor, your thread.

Thanks, Lavender. I saw that episode a couple of times, enjoyed it. Just had a little trouble remembering the name 'Bel Geddes'.

Now I want to pose a question that I can not answer myself. I'm asking for someone else to identify this person for me. It was in a *Gunsmoke* episode, 1956-58, as I remember, back in the days of the thirty-minute programs. A trackdown story, with the Marshal trailing some men who had committed a crime in Dodge. One of the guest villains was a man who had come into acting, after a career in boxing. Dillion faces off with this guest; they fight; Matt wins. Dillion then ties his prey across the saddle of a horse, face down and helpless. He slaps the horse on the ****, and it takes off; Matt is counting on the horse to find its way back to the livery stable in Dodge and, in so doing, deliver the prisoner for him. Matt has other people to attend to, out here in the boondocks.

I know only that the guest actor was a former boxer, and was _not_ Max Baer. Can anybody name this individual, and then take the thread? I would be so grateful.

???

> {quote:title=cmvgor wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks, Lavender. I saw that episode a couple of times, enjoyed it. Just had a little trouble remembering the name 'Bel Geddes'.

>

> Now I want to pose a question that I can not answer myself. I'm asking for someone else to identify this person for me. It was in a *Gunsmoke* episode, 1956-58, as I remember, back in the days of the thirty-minute programs. A trackdown story, with the Marshal trailing some men who had committed a crime in Dodge. One of the guest villains was a man who had come into acting, after a career in boxing. Dillion faces off with this guest; they fight; Matt wins. Dillion then ties his prey across the saddle of a horse, face down and helpless. He slaps the horse on the ****, and it takes off; Matt is counting on the horse to find its way back to the livery stable in Dodge and, in so doing, deliver the prisoner for him. Matt has other people to attend to, out here in the boondocks.

>

> I know only that the guest actor was a former boxer, and was _not_ Max Baer. Can anybody name this individual, and then take the thread? I would be so grateful.

>

> ???

No takers? Can't complain because I can't answer it myself.

Open thread.

That seems not to be the one either, 'lana. Mr. Baylor did seem to have a respectable career in boxing, and then a long career in film work. but in his filmography, I found "Gunsmoke" episodes only in the 60-minute episodes. I saw the episode I referred to,and it seems to have been in about 1957 or '58. I'm sorry I posed a no-solution question, and I still consider this thread open.

'lana, I'm changing my position from "probably not" to "very well may be so". I went through several sites, finding a lot of info about Hal Bayler's appearances, but only one photo. The shot showed a man much younger, but tall and with a destenctive lantern jaw. He _could_. very well be the man I saw in the episode I described. I consider it settled; your thread.

Thanks, Lana...Now, a series of questions:

This very famous play, written by a well-known producer of a well-known science fiction series, was originally shown as the second in a series of 90-minute television shows. The play dominated the TV awards that year, winning the Best Actor EMMY award for its lead...The actor won a Best Supporting Oscar years later. The movie version of the play also starred a Best Supporting Actor Oscar award winner, although not for this movie. The BBC version of the play starred an actor who later became best known for a series of blockbuster movies with a popular character...

Questions: (1) What is the title of the play and the TV show or series ? (2) Who was the author and what science fiction series was he associated with ? (3) Who was the TV actor who won the EMMY and for which movie did he win the Oscar? (4) Who played the role in the movie version ? (5) Who was the famous actor that played the lead in the BBC version of the play ?

Edited by: mudskipper on Mar 2, 2011 12:20 AM

Edited by: mudskipper on Mar 2, 2011 12:22 AM

Working mostly from memory and guesses: Are we talking about Rod Serling, best known for *Twilight Zone* ? and the TV-then-movie versions of *Requem For A Heavyweight* ?? Michael Caine and Sean Connery were in the TV version; Anthony Quinn made the movie. If I'm on the right track, someone else can sort out the other parts of the question. If I'm not, someone else has got to start from scratch.

"Requiem For A Heavyweight" is correct, written by Rod Serling. The origina broadcast was in "Playhouse 90" and starred Jack Palance in a great performance which won him the EMMY. The movie starred Anthony Quinn and the BBC version starred Sean Connery...Your thread, CMV...

Found one. Late 1970s. Crime & Investigation series. A guest stars in an episode that reunites him with a former co-star. In the 1950s-60s They had both been stars in a Western series.

???

In the earlier series, the two actors played brothers, usually having the lead part in seperate episodes, but sometimes appeareing in an episode together. In the 1970s re-teaming, the star was a private detective, and the guest was the husband of one of his clients.

Thanks.

From notes on a DVD Case:

The broadcast of ________________ starring ______________ on CBS-TV, March 31, 1957, was seen by the largest audience in the history of the planet: 107 million people in the USA, representing 60% of the country?s population at that time, and another 10 million or so stretching from Canada to Cuba. It was an Event, a golden moment in the Golden Age of Television.

Name this event and the up-and-coming star.

Filling in the blanks:

Title: *Rogers And Hammerstein's Cinderilla*

Rising star: Julie Andrews

'lana, I tried a different research technique based on the fact that a specific date was named. It involved Ask.com, and it led to Wikkipedia, but I got there. And I realized that I saw that performance. I didn't remember La Julie, but did recall Edie Adams as Fairy Godmother, and Kaye Ballard as a really ditsy Stepsister.

Thanks, 'lana.

Late 1950s anthology of 30-min episodes. A handfull of rotating performers in the lead roles. An established young actor, on his way to rising higher in the business. The progrem carries the name of the sponsor.

Plot: A party in a (woman) friend's apartment. This young man is busily obnoxious; interfers with the serving of refreshments, etc. He answers the doorbell and lets in a guest, then steps outside before the door closes again. The bell resumes ringing; the hostess answers and finds that he has stuck a wire into the doorbell button to hold it down. Stuff funny to him, but not to others. The TV is on, with a news report about a current homicide case. He calls the station and, claiming to be the killer, spins some nonsense about how the crime went down. The exasperated hostess and a couple of guests make him hang up, and they begin to scold him. The doorbell rings again, and its the police. They have monotored the call to the news station, and they want to talk to the caller. He is obliged to go with them to the police station.

???