Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allaboutlana

Find the Movie Star in Classic TV

I recall as a kid in the 60s seeing an episode of Twilight Zone or similar series with a vengeful car -- decades before Stephen King's "Christine." However, that episode was titled "You Drive," now that I've found it, and starred Edward Andrews.

Is that what you meant by "Of Cars and Monsters"? Or did you mean "My Mother the Car"?

Hint: The car is a Corvette--You name the monsters and, of course, the Classic TV Show.

FYI--The James Whale biopic is *

Edited by: cujas on Mar 20, 2011 5:58 PM

_If this ain't it, I give up._

Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre and Lon Chaney (Jr.) appeared as themselves in a 10/26/62 episode of *Route 66* . Title: Lizards' Legs And Owlets' Wings.

???

Flashback--we're laid back here, indeed.

Your response is correct. Every Fri night I still get my kicks on "Route 66".

Flash is up--

Thanks, cujas. I was a fan of that series in it's first couple of seasons, but it lasted longer than my ability to keep up with it. I wasn't even on this continent when that episode first aired, and I never had a chance to catch a rerun. // 'Nother one:

Late 1970s, crime-and-solution series. Very Big guest star appeared as a retired policeman who came from another state, on the trail of two rapist/killers. Personal stakes: his granddaughter had been a victim. Turned out to be this guest's last acting gig, but not the end of his career. His presence in this episode was an Event; the Series star and the Guest star were on the cover of TV Guide. There were plans for another guest shot the following year, but that never materalized.

Who? Series?

The local man (series star) who is helping the berieved grandfather is competent at his job. They find one of the felons, but then the perp is killed during pursuit -- run over by a truck. The local man realizes that the grandfather is not here for arrest and conviction -- he's here to kill. He tries to wrap up the case in such a way that the vindective ex-cop does not become a felon.

The visiting retiree had to fly across water to get to the state where the action took place.

Edited by: flashback42 on Mar 22, 2011 11:13 PM

Is this the episode of Magnum that Frank Sinatra appeared in? Your clever clue about flying across water from one state to another- must have been to get to Hawaii that triggered my memory.

On the money, Lavender. The *Magnum PI* episode Laura that first aired on 25 Feb. 1987.

As mentiond, in spite of interest, they were unable to set up another guest shot for this character, retired NY Police Sgt. Michael Doheny.

Lavender's thread.

Thanks,flash- I always liked Magnum

This show was on in the 60's. A Legend appeared on this late nite show. She told a fascinating story ( her language was a little racey for the time) about a fan following her into the ladies room of a restaurant and asked her to sing her signature song. It was her reply to the fan that was a little shocking. TV show, Movie Star ?? applause if you can tell us what she said.

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Mar 23, 2011 7:35 PM

No, sorry. this Legend was a HUGE talent, not just a celebrity. Her appearance on the talk show was a big event. She sounded a little tipsey, but at that point in her life she had abuse problems.

And if I'm correct it had to be either Johnny Carson or David Suskind, since you said it was a late-night talk show; but I'll go with Carson.

Judy Yes ,and that is what happenend but it was on Jack Paar's show. Her reply was I've got rainbows up my ---- !!!~ You're close enough, the thread is yours FA

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Mar 25, 2011 5:46 PM

Saving FilmAficianato's place until he gets back :

Lavender's story about a talk-show guest with a bathroom story, combined with some recent events, reminded me of something I read about years ago. I have not been able to varify it with current research; if it's urban legend, maybe someone can let me know. I read an account of these guest appearences, did not witness it.

Last half of the 1970s: An honored and respected actor, with an Oscar in his past, made the rounds of the talk shows to tell this story: He had been bothered with a spell of "irregularity" (at this point in our evolution, you could not say "constipated" on TV). He described his attempts to deal with it with medications, to no avail. Then, one day, he was in the bathroom, and in the proper place, hopeful but not optimistic. At that moment, one of those California earthquakes hit. He, uh, evacuated immediately, and that siege of the problem did not return. And when the story became known, he was cordially invited to come and tell the audiences about it.

If anyone else has ever run across this story, Who did it involve?

(4,216)

Edited by: flashback42 on Mar 27, 2011 10:59 PM

Subsequent to the event and the spreading of the story, a movie was made with an earthquake as the theme. Ensemble acting, many characters, multiple plot threads. The actor of the bathroom story played a role that mostly consisted of sitting in a bar and making wry comments. Sort of a country-wide inside joke.

Retiring the question.

Over 60 Views with no responses. I was nervous about this one from the first, because I had never been able to confirm memory with research. I clearly remember reading that _Walter Matthau_ "made the rounds of the talk shows" telling that story. When he participated in the 1974 film *Earthquake* , some commentary harkened back to the prior TV appearences. I was actually sort of fishing for someone who could confirm it for me. No such luck.

Open thread.

New angle here, reversing the order a little. Two performers, versitle and talented, worked together in support roles in one of the big and long-running hits of mid 20th Century. Man and a woman. They were reunited once in a 90s sitcom that was popular at that time. For the man, it was his last screen appearence ever. In their work together in the 1960s, they played comedy writers on the staff of a popular TV comedian. In the reunion plot in the 1990s, they had known each other long ago. Then the star of the 90s show found some old letters in an antique desk, and brought them together.

???